Question Is this a Smart Upgrade ?

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I currently have resorted to gaming on a back-up PC due to the death of my main 1155 rig's motherboard. Since I can't source any decent replacements, And to a lesser extent existing hardware is old anyway, I am thinking about shelling out for a new system.

My current backup PC specs:

*MSI - Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard
*Intel Core i3 6100
*GTX 980
*Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black

My current shopping basket for new system:

*AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
*Asus ROG Crosshair VII hero WIFI X470
*G.skill Trident z RGB 16gb DDR4 3200mhz
*Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 Winforce 8GB
*Amended Parts:
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

----
I already have an existing case and PSU from my now defunct 1155 system. I will be using it primarily for gaming. The mobo could be overkill, but I wanted it to be very robust this time around along with having a good audio solution.

In addition to whether the selected parts make sense, it would be nice to know if this is a good time to make such an upgrade. Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019
I currently have resorted to gaming on a back-up PC due to the death of my main 1155 rig's motherboard. Since I can't source any decent replacements, And to a lesser extent existing hardware is old anyway, I am thinking about shelling out for a new system.

My current backup PC specs:

*MSI - Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard
*Intel Core i3 6100
*GTX 980
*Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black

My current shopping basket for new system:

*AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
*Asus ROG Crosshair VII hero WIFI X470
*G.skill Trident z RGB 16gb DDR4 3200mhz
*Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 Winforce 8GB

----
I already have an existing case and PSU from my now defunct 1155 system. I will be using it primarily for gaming. The mobo could be overkill, but I wanted it to be very robust this time around along with having a good audio solution.

In addition to whether the selected parts make sense, it would be nice to know if this is a good time to make such an upgrade. Cheers!
Seems like a nice upgrade to me! The 3rd gen of ryzen processors is coming out mid summer so I would wait if you can but if not then you’re getting a substantial upgrade regardless.

Reactions: Blunderfluff

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Seems like a nice upgrade to me! The 3rd gen of ryzen processors is coming out mid summer so I would wait if you can but if not then you’re getting a substantial upgrade regardless.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that is always the conundrum I face. Every time I go to make an upgrade there's always something new on the horizon. I don't think any of us can fully escape that cycle. I would like to wait for the gen 3 but it's also possible/probable that by that time some other new exciting hardware will be coming around the corner.

One aspect of this build that I'm not particularly happy with is the Graphics, but I don't really see any better options for my usage and budget. I was considering AMD, but according to benchmarks they run a fair bit hotter and consume a lot of energy, while not having much benefit outside of offering slightly better value. At least with the CPU I am confident that it's reasonably good value and appears good enough for future-proofing.

Mar 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that is always the conundrum I face. Every time I go to make an upgrade there's always something new on the horizon. I don't think any of us can fully escape that cycle. I would like to wait for the gen 3 but it's also possible/probable that by that time some other new exciting hardware will be coming around the corner.

One aspect of this build that I'm not particularly happy with is the Graphics, but I don't really see any better options for my usage and budget. I was considering AMD, but according to benchmarks they run a fair bit hotter and consume a lot of energy, while not having much benefit outside of offering slightly better value. At least with the CPU I am confident that it's reasonably good value and appears good enough for future-proofing.
I have a 2070 myself and the graphics are great while I run every game at max settings with no problem. What kinda monitor do you have? I recently upgraded to a g-sync 144 hz monitor from a 60 hz and it made a huge difference.

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I have a 2070 myself and the graphics are great while I run every game at max settings with no problem. What kinda monitor do you have? I recently upgraded to a g-sync 144 hz monitor from a 60 hz and it made a huge difference.

Part of my displeasure with the graphics stems from my regret of buying the 980 instead of waiting for the 1080ti. I fear that I'm about to make the same mistake again. I didn't actually know about the 1080ti at the time, but it hit the market not long after I made that purchase.

I'm actually considering buying a monitor too. Can I ask which model you bought exactly ? Like you I would like to upgrade from 60hz. I've never personally tried a high refresh monitor, but I am very intrigued.

I am currently using a LG 32'' 1440p ips display, but I snagged a HDMI cord and it broke one of the inputs. It also has this weird issue where it won't sleep while using Displayport. I have a smaller budget this time so maybe something like a 27'' 100hz+ 1440p display, preferably flat-screen. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Mar 14, 2019
Part of my displeasure with the graphics stems from my regret of buying the 980 instead of waiting for the 1080ti. I fear that I'm about to make the same mistake again. I didn't actually know about the 1080ti at the time, but it hit the market not long after I made that purchase.

I'm actually considering buying a monitor too. Can I ask which model you bought exactly ? Like you I would like to upgrade from 60hz. I've never personally tried a high refresh monitor, but I am very intrigued.

I am currently using a LG 32'' 1440p ips display, but I snagged a HDMI cord and it broke one of the inputs. It also has this weird issue where it won't sleep while using Displayport. I have a smaller budget this time so maybe something like a 27'' 100hz+ 1440p display, preferably flat-screen. Any recommendations would be welcome.
I’ll put a link down below on the monitor I have. I didn’t even plan on upgrading my monitor but Best Buy was having a sale so I thought why not. 144hz feels way different than my 60hz, I use the 60 hz as my 2nd monitor now so I have them side by side & the difference in graphics/how smooth things feel is huge. Make sure to get a g-sync compatible monitor, that also makes a huge difference.
Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_McjOCbZJNNDJW

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I’ll put a link down below on the monitor I have. I didn’t even plan on upgrading my monitor but Best Buy was having a sale so I thought why not. 144hz feels way different than my 60hz, I use the 60 hz as my 2nd monitor now so I have them side by side & the difference in graphics/how smooth things feel is huge. Make sure to get a g-sync compatible monitor, that also makes a huge difference.
Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_McjOCbZJNNDJW

Cool, thanks for posting that. That Dell looks like a really nice monitor. I like the aesthetic and the stand design. It's a shame it's not an IPS or VA panel. I can't say I'm a fan of the picture quality on TN panels, but they sure are fast! Good to hear that you are impressed with the high refresh rate. I am definitely going to buy a 144hz now. Cheers!

Reactions: Giobumang

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Your old PSU is what?
I mean a 1155 old PSU on a brand new system, not worth the risk unless its of very high quality.
The PSU is probably the most important thing in a computer - you cheap out on this, you may be asking for trouble.

Good question. The PSU is a Corsair AX1200 Gold. It's had 7 years of heavy use. Do you think I should replace it ?

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I would look at B450 mobos as well, the good ones have decent functionality and allow overclocking, unless cost isn't an issue of course. Otherwise looks good!

Regarding the B450's. Would you say that the quality/integrity and life expectancy of the components are comparable to the boards like the one I have listed ?

Reason I ask is that the Krait mobo I am currently using has already dropped two USB ports despite not being used much. I also find that a lot of my builds fail due to motherboard problems. Typically they lose Ethernet/USB ports and eventually PCIE ports. I don't mind paying a premium for a board with a potentially longer life span. It also sucks to lose your mobo on older builds because they get discontinued pretty fast.

Another reservation I have with going a cheaper board is that the audio solutions aren't what I'd call fantastic. Then again I could be wrong in thinking that the Asus board delivers better audio, but the motherboard specs would have me believe it has better quality audio.

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
Have you considered updating the bios and putting a 7700K in there? Should be able to pick one up for ~$250ish on the used market. That will provide just about all the gaming power you'd need. Add in a new monitor and whatever GPU you have the budget left for and you should be in business? Just a thought if $$$ was an issue.

Have you considered updating the bios and putting a 7700K in there? Should be able to pick one up for ~$250ish on the used market. That will provide just about all the gaming power you'd need. Add in a new monitor and whatever GPU you have the budget left for and you should be in business? Just a thought if $$$ was an issue.
You'll be very lucky if you find a used 7700k for $250. I've been on the hunt for a decent priced one. EBay, Craigslist, and other used sites net a price closer to if not over $300 used. If you really wanted you can snag a new one for $350-370.

That said, it definitely would be a solid upgrade. But if the mobo has two unusable usb ports, it may not be a good idea.

The Asus boards definitely say they have high quality audio. I'm no audiophile, so how true that is I can't say. I can say my Asus maximus viii provides decent sound and I have no complaints. I like my Asus board and will be using them again next upgrade.

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

According to the benchmarks, the 7700k is considerably slower in production tasks vs the 2700X. It's was also slower in some of the games tested. In the games where the 7700K pulled ahead, the margins were incredibly small averaging a 3fps disparity. The 2700x is $469 and the 7700K is $583 in my country, so it doesn't really make sense in my mind. If it was cheaper than the 2700X I'd definitely consider it. Cheers!

My budget is a tad flexible, but I'm aiming for around the $1800aud or $1300usd mark. Total budget including monitor would be roughly $2,400aud or $1700usd.

You'll be very lucky if you find a used 7700k for $250. I've been on the hunt for a decent priced one. EBay, Craigslist, and other used sites net a price closer to if not over $300 used. If you really wanted you can snag a new one for $350-370.

That said, it definitely would be a solid upgrade. But if the mobo has two unusable usb ports, it may not be a good idea.

The Asus boards definitely say they have high quality audio. I'm no audiophile, so how true that is I can't say. I can say my Asus maximus viii provides decent sound and I have no complaints. I like my Asus board and will be using them again next upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback regarding audio quality. I quite liked the audio on my deceased Gigabyte Sniper 3 mobo, I find myself missing it on this PC. The Gigabyte Aorus x470 wifi also came into contention, but the obnoxious orange accents were a turn-off for me. Though I should probably check out some reviews to see if the Gigabyte has better audio.

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
I checked with HardOCP's used forum. I saw one that went for $280. Most of the time they were north of $300, or in a bundle with board, ram, etc. Cheaper ones are out there but you need to act fast.

Of course the 2700 is faster. It has twice the cores. The OP said he was using his old gaming PC and new was "primarily for gaming", so I didn't think other uses were of much concern. I know from another article I read that that there is only a ~20% gaming difference between the 3770k and the 7700k And that's at stock Once OC'd there should be even less difference. If money is a concern and if you can find one for a good price, putting a 6700K or 7700K should provide a good gaming experience. (As long as you aren't streaming as well.) If you have the fund to just go buy new then of course that's the best way to go. An 8700k or 2700X is a powerful CPU. Either would be great for a high end rig. But I didn't know if he had considered keeping his current board.

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
AX series was very nice, but it is now 7 years behind in Technology terms, but of course to get a decent more modern power supply you still need to spend $70+ but you don't need a 1200 watt heater though :)

Hmm, it didn't occur to me that PSU technology could change so much. That's a pretty valid point. Well I guess my budget needs to stretch a little bit further. That Asus board only supports 6 sata devices so I guess I don't need that hulking brick anymore anyway. I went with the EVGA G2 750watt over the G3 for potentially quieter fan operation.

I checked with HardOCP's used forum. I saw one that went for $280. Most of the time they were north of $300, or in a bundle with board, ram, etc. Cheaper ones are out there but you need to act fast.

Of course the 2700 is faster. It has twice the cores. The OP said he was using his old gaming PC and new was "primarily for gaming", so I didn't think other uses were of much concern. I know from another article I read that that there is only a ~20% gaming difference between the 3770k and the 7700k And that's at stock Once OC'd there should be even less difference. If money is a concern and if you can find one for a good price, putting a 6700K or 7700K should provide a good gaming experience. (As long as you aren't streaming as well.) If you have the fund to just go buy new then of course that's the best way to go. An 8700k or 2700X is a powerful CPU. Either would be great for a high end rig. But I didn't know if he had considered keeping his current board.

I've always been hesitant buying used when it comes to PC components. We don't exactly have a very developed used market in Australia either. So I mostly just go off of new prices. Thank you for the suggestion though. .

Last edited: