[SOLVED] Is this a solid PC for gaming?

Dragonstar223

Prominent
Nov 7, 2020
Hello, I'm currently building a gaming PC for general gaming and was wondering if its a solid build for like Fortnite and Apex Legends for example?
For example I do plan to play games like Resident Evil Village and Shadow of the Tomb Raider alongside Halo Master Chief Collection to name a few alongside Fortnite and Apex Legends.

The list is below.

Ryzen 5 2400G
8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Single Channel
SAMSUNG NVME SSD 240GB
PNY GTX 1650 Super 4GB OC
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Thermaletake TR2 430 Watt PSU
Dell 1080p IPS Panel 60Hz

Money is tight so switching to better parts immediately isn't a option for me sadly, possibly have to wait for the future.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I feel it's mostly appropriate, but a few quick suggestions, and a question.

What mobo? Do you already have this stuff and are adding part, or all (new to you) build?
The 2400G is not a particularly powerful CPU. Since you are looking at the 1650, I would look to step up to something like a 3600 or as close as you can get. At least here, the G series of Ryzen are over priced due to GPU demand, but the 3xxx series are currently at pre market pricing in most cases. Even 5xxx is at or below MSRP for what is available.

I would also suggest that your RAM speed is good, but dual channel will outperform it. 2x4 would perform better if being a hinderance when you opt to upgrade. The only reason I would suggest doing 1x is if you are looking...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I feel it's mostly appropriate, but a few quick suggestions, and a question.

What mobo? Do you already have this stuff and are adding part, or all (new to you) build?
The 2400G is not a particularly powerful CPU. Since you are looking at the 1650, I would look to step up to something like a 3600 or as close as you can get. At least here, the G series of Ryzen are over priced due to GPU demand, but the 3xxx series are currently at pre market pricing in most cases. Even 5xxx is at or below MSRP for what is available.

I would also suggest that your RAM speed is good, but dual channel will outperform it. 2x4 would perform better if being a hinderance when you opt to upgrade. The only reason I would suggest doing 1x is if you are looking to get another exact matching stick within a couple of weeks and are willing to chance that it won't work right. Ryzen and their mobo can be VERY picky about RAM and particularll 1 and 2xxx.

The 430W PSU will be a limit for any significant GPU upgrade down the road, but should be totally workable for the system limits you mention now.

Solution

Dragonstar223

Prominent
Nov 7, 2020
Oh sorry, all the parts are spare parts I have laying around. I'm thinking of building a second PC for general gaming in the gaming room and have my main in the office.

The mobo is the ASUS Prime A320M K Micro ATX.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Oh sorry, all the parts are spare parts I have laying around. I'm thinking of building a second PC for general gaming in the gaming room and have my main in the office.

The mobo is the ASUS Prime A320M K Micro ATX.

Lol, if you already have all this, and you can or know the BIOS on that A320M is right for 2xxx, all that is missing is your time to build it and find out. Sounds fun.

KroolYouTube

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I mean I don't know a whole hell of alot about computers, especially things outside of basics like RAM, CPU, GPU, monitors and peripherals. I once had a 1650 super and it's honestly not even worth plugging in my guy. I would just save up for a bit and get a decent 20 series. The differences are insane.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I mean I don't know a whole hell of alot about computers, especially things outside of basics like RAM, CPU, GPU, monitors and peripherals. I once had a 1650 super and it's honestly not even worth plugging in my guy. I would just save up for a bit and get a decent 20 series. The differences are insane.

There is a significant more value per dollar finding some use for parts you have laying around after upgrades and such, than it is to leave them unused and going further into obsolescence. A 1650 super is certainly going to be game worthy, so long as you have proper expectations of it's performance. Given the listed monitor is 1080/60, it should pair up nicely with the other already paid for components.

KroolYouTube

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I totally see where you're coming from. Of course it's nice to have spare parts laying around. I just personally would of sold the 1650 and then saved up for a 20 series. Yet again everyone's version of "acceptable gameplay" are different lol. But hey, glad to hear you basically are getting a free entry-mid level PC :)

g-unit1111

Titan

Eh... right now I might actually suggest skipping the GPU entirely and running off onboard video. If money is so tight, even something like the 1660TI - which in normal times would retail for around the $300 mark - is currently sitting at about $950 on PC Part Picker. The markups are absolutely insane at the moment. Hopefully the market should start correcting itself soon.

Especially if you're going to be running on an onboard GPU I wouldn't suggest purchasing a low end GPU for high markups, you won't come out ahead in that deal.