Is this a universal problem (with MS XP)?

I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network, with
absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real advice
(or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among friends,
and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.

I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
machines on and share files easily.

I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
router. None of them can see each other.

What gives?
And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
predicament?

Steve-O

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Wow...I have been beating my head against the wall trying to resolve the very
same issue. Both of my computers see the "network" but when trying to open
the connection, an error message comes up that they don't have access
permission. Also, neither returns a ping. All I want is for the remote
comuter to share my printer. It is made to sound so easy...but I guess it
never is. I am totally open for suggestions...

"Kerry Snow" wrote:

> I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network, with
> absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real advice
> (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
> people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among friends,
> and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
>
> I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
> machines on and share files easily.
>
> I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
> router. None of them can see each other.
>
> What gives?
> And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
> predicament?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

LOL, there are hundreds of thousands of VCRs and DVD player that the Time
and the Date on the front is still blinking after years of usage.

That does Not mean that something id wrong with the VCR/DVD. Usually it
blinks because the User Does Not (or can not) read the manual.

Unfortunately the issue that you are referring to can not be answered in the
few sentences that are common to On Line Help, and public BBSs.

Log to the page above, and read it slowly. Read every thing first before you
act, and then give it a try in an orderly manner.

Check every thing. Do Not wave parts of the issue away with excuses like "It
Worked before" or, and "I Think it is OK".

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Kerry Snow" <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network,
with
> absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real
advice
> (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
> people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among
friends,
> and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
>
> I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
> machines on and share files easily.
>
> I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
> router. None of them can see each other.
>
> What gives?
> And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
> predicament?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It's easy for you to be judgmental. You happened to 'stumble' across a
possible solution. But some of us who are power users, still can't make it
work. Microsoft has made it impossible to dig into the guts to figure out
what particular piece of the puzzle is stopping communication. The wireless
gear people won't help, Microsoft won't help, and your smarmy remark doesn't
help. What microsoft needs to do is dig into this issue and help enough
people figure it out then publish the results - instead of this dopey forum
which seems to perpetuate the issues. If someone knows the "exact" causes for
the lack of connectivity, share it! This is very aggrevating and useless.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> LOL, there are hundreds of thousands of VCRs and DVD player that the Time
> and the Date on the front is still blinking after years of usage.
>
> That does Not mean that something id wrong with the VCR/DVD. Usually it
> blinks because the User Does Not (or can not) read the manual.
>
> Unfortunately the issue that you are referring to can not be answered in the
> few sentences that are common to On Line Help, and public BBSs.
>
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Log to the page above, and read it slowly. Read every thing first before you
> act, and then give it a try in an orderly manner.
>
> Check every thing. Do Not wave parts of the issue away with excuses like "It
> Worked before" or, and "I Think it is OK".
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Kerry Snow" <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network,
> with
> > absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real
> advice
> > (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
> > people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among
> friends,
> > and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
> >
> > I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
> > machines on and share files easily.
> >
> > I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
> > router. None of them can see each other.
> >
> > What gives?
> > And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
> > predicament?

Well, like I said Jack, it's supposed to be easy. Your web page instructions
look helpful, but not particularly user-friendly. Why should I have to spend
a day poring over various links to Microsoft issues, disabling firewalls,
re-enabling firewalls, adjusting settings, etc., when MAC users can share
resources out of the box. I got my VCR to stop blinking in about 5 minutes.
Microsoft bills their OS as a simple solution to these sorts of problems, but
the fact that they've had to bend over backwards to address the zillions of
security problems obviously gets in the way of their "simple" solutions. The
Help files included with XP (the equivalent of the VCR user manual, I
presume), are of no particular help, and the "wizards" appear to screw things
up more than they help, so I'm wondering which "user manual" is available to
us dim-wits.

Kerry (MVP-VCRs)

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> LOL, there are hundreds of thousands of VCRs and DVD player that the Time
> and the Date on the front is still blinking after years of usage.
>
> That does Not mean that something id wrong with the VCR/DVD. Usually it
> blinks because the User Does Not (or can not) read the manual.
>
> Unfortunately the issue that you are referring to can not be answered in the
> few sentences that are common to On Line Help, and public BBSs.
>
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Log to the page above, and read it slowly. Read every thing first before you
> act, and then give it a try in an orderly manner.
>
> Check every thing. Do Not wave parts of the issue away with excuses like "It
> Worked before" or, and "I Think it is OK".
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Kerry Snow" <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network,
> with
> > absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real
> advice
> > (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
> > people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among
> friends,
> > and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
> >
> > I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
> > machines on and share files easily.
> >
> > I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
> > router. None of them can see each other.
> >
> > What gives?
> > And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
> > predicament?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Did you try to work through the solutions as suggested at my link above?

Jack (MVP-Networking).

> It's easy for you to be judgmental. You happened to 'stumble' across a
> possible solution. But some of us who are power users, still can't make it
> work. Microsoft has made it impossible to dig into the guts to figure out
> what particular piece of the puzzle is stopping communication. The
wireless
> gear people won't help, Microsoft won't help, and your smarmy remark
doesn't
> help. What microsoft needs to do is dig into this issue and help enough
> people figure it out then publish the results - instead of this dopey
forum
> which seems to perpetuate the issues. If someone knows the "exact" causes
for
> the lack of connectivity, share it! This is very aggrevating and useless.
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > LOL, there are hundreds of thousands of VCRs and DVD player that the
Time
> > and the Date on the front is still blinking after years of usage.
> >
> > That does Not mean that something id wrong with the VCR/DVD. Usually it
> > blinks because the User Does Not (or can not) read the manual.
> >
> > Unfortunately the issue that you are referring to can not be answered in
the
> > few sentences that are common to On Line Help, and public BBSs.
> >
> > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> >
> > Log to the page above, and read it slowly. Read every thing first before
you
> > act, and then give it a try in an orderly manner.
> >
> > Check every thing. Do Not wave parts of the issue away with excuses like
"It
> > Worked before" or, and "I Think it is OK".
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Kerry Snow" <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless
network,
> > with
> > > absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real
> > advice
> > > (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are
loads of
> > > people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among
> > friends,
> > > and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
> > >
> > > I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn
their
> > > machines on and share files easily.
> > >
> > > I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to
my
> > > router. None of them can see each other.
> > >
> > > What gives?
> > > And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in
this
> > > predicament?

Joe

In message <6F058048-342F-4AC9-8273-051D1526C46C@microsoft.com>, Kerry
Snow <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network, with
>absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real advice
>(or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
>people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among friends,
>and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
>
>I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
>machines on and share files easily.
>
>I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
>router. None of them can see each other.
>
>What gives?

It can sometimes be difficult to get started with a purely wireless
system, if the computers have never been networked before. XP has a
wizard to set up a network, but of course this will only work if the
machines are connected. You can only sort out the wireless connection
when you are sure there are no other obstacles to networking...

On the whole, the best way to go is probably to wire the wireless
machines to the router temporarily, use the XP wizard to get networking
running, then disconnect and sort out the wireless issues. It's probably
best to leave encryption off the wireless link to begin with, but try to
get things going and at least WEP encryption enabled as quickly as
possible.

>And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
>predicament?

No comment.
--
Joe

Stephanie

Dan,

I have to agree with you. I've been trying to figure out how to connect
with my network for weeks. I found there is a little button on my laptop
that connects to my network. Too funny. But now I can't get onto the
internet or my desktop. What good is that. I've received conflicting
answers about this issue. I thought once I upgraded my desktop to XP it'd be
plug-and-play. Not. I will figure this out. So far, I am very unhappy with
NETGEAR and Microsoft.

Steph

"Dan" wrote:

> It's easy for you to be judgmental. You happened to 'stumble' across a
> possible solution. But some of us who are power users, still can't make it
> work. Microsoft has made it impossible to dig into the guts to figure out
> what particular piece of the puzzle is stopping communication. The wireless
> gear people won't help, Microsoft won't help, and your smarmy remark doesn't
> help. What microsoft needs to do is dig into this issue and help enough
> people figure it out then publish the results - instead of this dopey forum
> which seems to perpetuate the issues. If someone knows the "exact" causes for
> the lack of connectivity, share it! This is very aggrevating and useless.
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > LOL, there are hundreds of thousands of VCRs and DVD player that the Time
> > and the Date on the front is still blinking after years of usage.
> >
> > That does Not mean that something id wrong with the VCR/DVD. Usually it
> > blinks because the User Does Not (or can not) read the manual.
> >
> > Unfortunately the issue that you are referring to can not be answered in the
> > few sentences that are common to On Line Help, and public BBSs.
> >
> > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> >
> > Log to the page above, and read it slowly. Read every thing first before you
> > act, and then give it a try in an orderly manner.
> >
> > Check every thing. Do Not wave parts of the issue away with excuses like "It
> > Worked before" or, and "I Think it is OK".
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Kerry Snow" <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've been trying to share files between three pcs on a wireless network,
> > with
> > > absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real
> > advice
> > > (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads of
> > > people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among
> > friends,
> > > and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
> > >
> > > I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn their
> > > machines on and share files easily.
> > >
> > > I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to my
> > > router. None of them can see each other.
> > >
> > > What gives?
> > > And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in this
> > > predicament?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
If the PC standard was a close envioroment with not too many Third party
applications, and very limited Hardware ad-ones it would be as easy as the
Mac.

In addition some PCs are so inexpensive that people without substantial
financial means can enjoy the Magic like every one else.

> [...]
network,
> > with
> > > absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real
> > advice
> > > (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are
loads of
> > > people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among
> > friends,
> > > and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
> > >
> > > I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn
their
> > > machines on and share files easily.
> > >
> > > I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to
my
> > > router. None of them can see each other.
> > >
> > > What gives?
> > > And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in

I have to agree with Jack. I'm completely self-educated in the
Networking/Wireless field (With the help of many well-written web pages).
After using my patented trial-and-error method I have found that only a
complete review of all settings, drivers and firmware will solve these
problems. I've done this excercise several times now, and it gets easier with
each situation, due to my increasing education.
All the comments about MACs seem to be true as well. I had occasion to add a
G4 to an existing ethernet Network recently, and once I found the procedure
it was basically a three-click procedure. Of course, this G4 cost about three
times what an equivalent PC would cost. It's also got similar problems with
driver and OS updates that are extremely expensive and frustrating to me and
the user.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
> If the PC standard was a close envioroment with not too many Third party
> applications, and very limited Hardware ad-ones it would be as easy as the
> Mac.
>
> In addition some PCs are so inexpensive that people without substantial
> financial means can enjoy the Magic like every one else.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Kerry Snow" <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, like I said Jack, it's supposed to be easy. Your web page
> instructions
> > look helpful, but not particularly user-friendly. Why should I have to
> spend
> > a day poring over various links to Microsoft issues, disabling firewalls,
> > re-enabling firewalls, adjusting settings, etc., when MAC users can share
> > resources out of the box. I got my VCR to stop blinking in about 5
> minutes.
> > Microsoft bills their OS as a simple solution to these sorts of problems,
> but
> > the fact that they've had to bend over backwards to address the zillions
> of
> > security problems obviously gets in the way of their "simple" solutions.
> The
> > Help files included with XP (the equivalent of the VCR user manual, I
> > presume), are of no particular help, and the "wizards" appear to screw
> things
> > up more than they help, so I'm wondering which "user manual" is available
> > us dim-wits.
> >
> > Kerry (MVP-VCRs)
> >
> > "Jack" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > LOL, there are hundreds of thousands of VCRs and DVD player that the
> Time
> > > and the Date on the front is still blinking after years of usage.
> > >
> > > That does Not mean that something id wrong with the VCR/DVD. Usually it
> > > blinks because the User Does Not (or can not) read the manual.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the issue that you are referring to can not be answered in
> the
> > > few sentences that are common to On Line Help, and public BBSs.
> > >
> > > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> > >
> > > Log to the page above, and read it slowly. Read every thing first before
> you
> > > act, and then give it a try in an orderly manner.
> > >
> > > Check every thing. Do Not wave parts of the issue away with excuses like
> "It
> > > Worked before" or, and "I Think it is OK".
> > >
> > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> > >

> > > "Kerry Snow" <KerrySnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> network,
> > > with
> > > advice
> loads of
> > > friends,

> their

> my

> this

You had a great suggestion earlier in the thread...connect the network as a
wired network, set up your networking, and then hook up and configure your
wireless.

XP was released when wireless was in a primitive stage; you expect it to now
deal with everything that comes along later, including all sorts and brands
of hardware, as though it was built for it. Mac, on the other hand, comes
out with new OS versions (at considerable expense, not free) every time you
turn around. Mac users are not known for their honesty about their systems
anyway...they were always perfect, that is until something newer came along,
turning the old ones into junk (suddenly OS9 crashed a lot, was primitive,
unintuitive, etc. when OSX came along...hmmm, odd, it was perfect up til
then. You think they'll be honest with you about everything else?). They
love to gloat when anyone using Windows has a problem, but are very
secretive about their problems when around non-Mac users, or they take them
in stride as being 'normal'.

I find XP networks itself as a wired system; sharing is simple to add
through the wizard. Wireless, if the hardware and drivers are right, is
then simple to set up. I've done this on multiple machines with no
problems, except one. The "one" was getting wireless internet to work, and
it turned out to be the router (or driver software) was poorly designed; I
exchanged it for a different brand and inserted the setup CD, and it's
worked perfectly since.

So you have to set up a wired network first to make things easy, big deal.
Would you prefer to have the option of buying "WIndows XP Jaguar" at $130
instead? If so, maybe you should switch systems or suggest it to Microsoft;
instead of calling it service pack 2 or 3, they'll call it something fancy
and charge you a lot.

Gary

> [...]
>> > network,
>> with
>> > absolutely no luck. After posting a few questions here, with no real
>> advice
>> > (or help from Microsoft), I'm beginning to realize that there are loads
>> > of
>> > people with the same problem. I've asked around at work, and among
>> friends,
>> > and I haven't talked to anyone who's been successful.
>> >
>> > I have friends with MACs who laugh at this problem. They just turn
>> > their
>> > machines on and share files easily.
>> >
>> > I have two wireless-connected machines and one desktop that's wired to
>> > my
>> > router. None of them can see each other.
>> >
>> > What gives?
>> > And why is Microsoft so useless in helping the many users who are in

email me if you would like to go over it in email one-on-one.

Carey@careyholzman.com