Question Is this a viable solution for fixing a dead laptop battery?

Aug 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

The battery in my laptop is refusing to charge (staying at 0%, saying that it's plugged in). I have tried what I consider to be pretty much every possible solution that is out there, to avoid buying a new battery (I have made another post where everything is described in detail for whoever's interested: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-at-0-and-wont-charge-no-matter-what.3508951/ ). Long story short, the battery has ran out of power completely, to a point where the laptop doesn't detect it anymore and the integrated controller in the battery (which takes power only from the battery itself) doesn't have any juice to start up and tell the battery to start charging again.

Recently however, I have stumbled upon another possible solution that I haven't tried yet, where they suggest the following steps for awaking the battery:
  • Remove the battery and kill the static energy in your laptop by holding down the power button for 20 seconds.
  • With the battery still removed, plug in the adapter and turn on the power.
  • Your laptop starts working now.
  • Now here's the tricky part - Insert the battery 'after' you've powered on the laptop. Now your laptop will detect the battery and start charging it.

So my question is whether or not there's any danger to do this (plug the battery while the laptop is working and plugged in)? The reason why I'm concerned is because the battery on my model is none-removable, which means that I will have to plug the battery connector straight up to the port on the motherboard, with the computer already plugged in and on.
My laptop is Asus X751LX .
Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
You seem to want to run a functioning laptop to the ground and bury it while it's still alive. No offence but with all the effort you've expended on the laptop itself, I doubt you're making any progress to deem yourself to be in a positive return on investment.

Resources can be anything, from time, money and even your energy. If I were you, I'd go out and pick out a replacement battery for the laptop or run the laptop like I would when running a desktop sans any battery backup. In essence the laptop works as it should but during a power failure the laptop will simply shut down and with it, you could loose your data or worse, kill your laptop.

If what you're looking to do, on the steps listed, was safe to do, we'd all be doing it and saying - sure don't worry.

I agree, time for a new battery, or just run without.

When you run the cells below 2.5v, the protection circuit is supposed to blow to keep the battery from catching on fire when you go charge it again with their fast charger--that's why it's not recognized. There's a procedure for recharging such cells: very slowly until they reach that voltage, so you could take the pack apart and probably get some usable 18650s, but as the pack's circuitry is toast, neither charging or replacing the cells now would get you a working battery pack.

Aug 5, 2019
I agree, time for a new battery, or just run without.

When you run the cells below 2.5v, the protection circuit is supposed to blow to keep the battery from catching on fire when you go charge it again with their fast charger--that's why it's not recognized. There's a procedure for recharging such cells: very slowly until they reach that voltage, so you could take the pack apart and probably get some usable 18650s, but as the pack's circuitry is toast, neither charging or replacing the cells now would get you a working battery pack.
I see. Well then I won't do it.