Is this a worthwhile purchase?

razorman77

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Alright, know of any decent sites to build a custom rig?

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

You won't really find anyone here recommending a prebuilt, chiefly because you can get a far better computer with better quality components if you build yourself. Throw together a list on PCPartPicker and we can give you some advice on what to change/add/remove etc

razorman77

Commendable
May 29, 2016

OK so I've put together a list at http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rBqrxY not sure whether it's worth the money or whether you guys can put together a better one. Also is it worth getting a rig with the gtx 1080 or should I wait for now, cheers.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Here's the base system (minus GPU) that you could use as a base point. Trades out a lot of the outdated and unreliable components, chiefly the power supply, SSD, and CPU Cooler.

i7-6700k Build

Granted it would be pushing the budget considerably to get a 1080, so that is a concern. If you're not planning on overclocking the processor you could go for something like this instead. Keeps the i7, SSD, HDD, Case and PSU, and changes the motherboard, RAM, etc for a locked chipset.

i7-6700 Build

razorman77

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Thanks for the help so far. When you say unreliable components, do you mean that they are likely to fail or encounter issues later on down the line. As for the processor, is it really worth getting an overclocked CPU, I'd imagine that would shorten it's life span some.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

The power supply and SSD are both relatively poor quality units (the Kingston drive tends to be slow and fail more often than not, while the PSU can't maintain a stable enough voltage. Might be completely wrong but that's what I was told on this site) Honestly overclocking is not needed unless you want to do it. If it's not a prime concern right off the bat a locked CPU is just fine