[SOLVED] Is this a worthy upgrade?

Nov 18, 2019
I'm currently looking to upgrade my system. I currently have a Core I7 4790k on some generic Intel MB, 20 GB of DRR3 1666 memory and a RTX 2080.

Im planning on going to a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE MB and 32GB DDR4 3600 (G.Skill RGB) memory.

Is this upgrade worth it and can you see any issues with it?

I'm keeping the GPU the same and i have a 750 Watt PSU already that i plan to keep as well.

Appreciate the advice.

Solution
Hi Wolf,

Thanks for the info, i'm aware the upgrade isn't going to provide much of a performance boost. The RAM makes no difference. I mostly just game on this machine really and i'm planning to actually pass my old "system" to a friend. This is more future proofing kind of, i did notice some bottle necking on the CPU side with certain games mostly when running in 4K. I'm hoping this would maybe assist in this regard and provide a nice platform to upgrade from in the future.

So in short i'm not expecting massive gains in performance, more a nice "sidegrade", with some room for improvement in future.

From a future proofing stand-point (which I don't really believe in anyway), you'd probably want to go with an X570 motherboard...

Wolfshadw

Titan
What are you doing that your current system cannot handle?
Would you be disappointed if the ~$500 you spend on this upgrade provided little to no performance increase in those things which you do?

If the answer to the first question is only one or two applications which you normally use (most every day usage), then I would say no. It's not a worthy upgrade.
If the answer to the second question is yes, then I would say no. It's not a worthy upgrade.

-Wolf sends

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
Nov 18, 2019
Hi Wolf,

Thanks for the info, i'm aware the upgrade isn't going to provide much of a performance boost. The RAM makes no difference. I mostly just game on this machine really and i'm planning to actually pass my old "system" to a friend. This is more future proofing kind of, i did notice some bottle necking on the CPU side with certain games mostly when running in 4K. I'm hoping this would maybe assist in this regard and provide a nice platform to upgrade from in the future.

So in short i'm not expecting massive gains in performance, more a nice "sidegrade", with some room for improvement in future.

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi Wolf,

Honestly, if you're thinking future upgrades and you're going Ryzen, given that you really ought to not have a performance problem now, I'd strongly consider waiting for AM5. In this situation, it might be better to upgrade early in a new socket than in the final year or so of the last one.

What's this 750W PSU? There are a lot of junk PSUs out there at every wattage, so if you're looking for a base for future performance, it's worth looking at.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hi Wolf,

From a future proofing stand-point (which I don't really believe in anyway), you'd probably want to go with an X570 motherboard or wait until the B550 boards come out. These will support the Ryzen 4000 series processors. No one knows about the 5000 series Ryzen processors.

Beyond that, only you can answer your question as it's mainly about budget. For some people, $500 is a drop in the bucket which can easily be dismissed. For others, that's months and months of savings down the tubes (even if you are helping out a friend). For me, I wanted to try out VR. My old Intel Core I5-760 (first gen) couldn't support it (lacked AVX Instructions). Otherwise, I'd STILL be using that system.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Nov 18, 2019
Honestly, if you're thinking future upgrades and you're going Ryzen, given that you really ought to not have a performance problem now, I'd strongly consider waiting for AM5. In this situation, it might be better to upgrade early in a new socket than in the final year or so of the last one.

What's this 750W PSU? There are a lot of junk PSUs out there at every wattage, so if you're looking for a base for future performance, it's worth looking at.

I understand what you saying with this, i was thinking about the AM5 socket CPU's coming soonish. It could be worth the wait. By no means is my current machine slow or sluggish. Just thought a friend with a Core I5 6400 and a GTX 1060. Could benefit from these parts, he would be dropping to DDR3 ram instead of the DDR4 ram he has currently. Is this going to be a benefit to him?

The PSU i have currently is a HuntKey Silver 750W. I'm not sure of the exact model. But this PC has been running this setup for the past 7 years give or take (minus the GPU of course). The PSU is a tad newer i would say maybe 4-5 years old now,

Nov 18, 2019
From a future proofing stand-point (which I don't really believe in anyway), you'd probably want to go with an X570 motherboard or wait until the B550 boards come out. These will support the Ryzen 4000 series processors. No one knows about the 5000 series Ryzen processors.

Beyond that, only you can answer your question as it's mainly about budget. For some people, $500 is a drop in the bucket which can easily be dismissed. For others, that's months and months of savings down the tubes (even if you are helping out a friend). For me, I wanted to try out VR. My old Intel Core I5-760 (first gen) couldn't support it (lacked AVX Instructions). Otherwise, I'd STILL be using that system.

-Wolf sends

I understand, this is a fair amount of saving (don't want to sound pretentious). And i'm not apposed to selling the mb and CPU in the future to get a newer chipset once we know what kind of improvements we are looking at. But if the gains he will see are also negligible then i don't see the need to spend that amount of money.

I myself am a bit of purist with my games, i prefer to run things maxed out where possible, even if the fidelity is hardly noticeable really (i'm aware this is silly, but we all have our vices).

DSzymborski

Titan
I understand what you saying with this, i was thinking about the AM5 socket CPU's coming soonish. It could be worth the wait. By no means is my current machine slow or sluggish. Just thought a friend with a Core I5 6400 and a GTX 1060. Could benefit from these parts, he would be dropping to DDR3 ram instead of the DDR4 ram he has currently. Is this going to be a benefit to him?

The PSU i have currently is a HuntKey Silver 750W. I'm not sure of the exact model. But this PC has been running this setup for the past 7 years give or take (minus the GPU of course). The PSU is a tad newer i would say maybe 4-5 years old now,

It seems like you have one of the few decent Huntkeys -- their low-end products are notorious -- but I'd probably be inclined to replace even a good Huntkey that is this old, as part of a significant upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS