[SOLVED] Is this airflow setup acceptable?

Aug 1, 2021
I have a chassis with two front intake fans. I'm looking to add 2 more fans, one in the rear and one at the top of the case. But to maintain positive pressure I think I need one to be another intake, and the other as an exhaust. I was thinking of making the rear the intake, and the top one as the exhaust. Check the diagram I made on my case. Does this airflow model exist? Is it acceptable in any way?

oCdg1YF.png

Solution
I have my system set up this way, but that is due to having front and top mounted radiators.

For most air cooling setups, not uncommon to have more exhaust than intake, usually two intake, top and rear exhaust, this may lead to dust penetration. If that is what you are trying to avoid, you will also want to add a filter to any rear intake.

You can also check your chassis for bottom fan positions to add another intake there, but that depends a lot on computer location and the surface it is on.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have my system set up this way, but that is due to having front and top mounted radiators.

For most air cooling setups, not uncommon to have more exhaust than intake, usually two intake, top and rear exhaust, this may lead to dust penetration. If that is what you are trying to avoid, you will also want to add a filter to any rear intake.

You can also check your chassis for bottom fan positions to add another intake there, but that depends a lot on computer location and the surface it is on.

Solution
I have a chassis with two front intake fans. I'm looking to add 2 more fans, one in the rear and one at the top of the case. But to maintain positive pressure I think I need one to be another intake, and the other as an exhaust. I was thinking of making the rear the intake, and the top one as the exhaust. Check the diagram I made on my case. Does this airflow model exist? Is it acceptable in any way?

oCdg1YF.png
Reverse rear fan !!

Reactions: NiallUK

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there no situation where the rear fan can be reversed into an intake fan for the purposes of achieving positive pressure along with the front fans, with the top fan becoming the exhaust?
There are some setups where a rear intake is ok, and others where you do sacrifice cooling efficiency... don't know if yours fit the former or not.
1)The rear fan should have a filter on it. For obvious reasons, I think...
2)Cpu needs to be custom or AIO cooled. If it's air cooled... no matter which direction you spin the cooler, it's a less efficient setup with a rear intake - not that the cooler itself is bad or anything.
3)Gpu needs to be custom or AIO cooled. This one's probably more important than both 1 and 2, because:
-If the air cooled gpu is a blower or radial fan model: these shove their waste heat right out the back. Once that heated air is outside the chassis, it will rise, only to get drawn right back in.
-If the popular and common axial fan model: these dump their waste heat inside the chassis. Instead of smooth transition up and outside, this heated air gets T-boned by the air coming in from the rear, and some efficiency is lost.

The air traffic should be smooth, or as smooth as possible, and a rear intake setup is most effective when both cpu and gpu coolers are liquid, because of the position of the radiators.

TRENDING THREADS