Is this alright for everyday use?

Trancestor

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016
Hi, i oc'd my i7 6700k to 4.5ghz and i set a constant voltage of 1.260V (when gaming it drops to 1.248V) and the temps when gaming max out at 60-70c (most games it's around 60c, only a few games get it up to 70c). My motherboard (Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3) doesn't have an offset voltage option so the voltage always stays on max even when idle. So how safe is this for everyday use? I don't care if the CPU doesn't last for 10 years due to this, but something like 5 years would be great.

Trancestor

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016

You mean set Power option plan to Balanced? That doesn't really change anything with the voltages...and High Performance is good for reducing stuttering in games and stuff so i rather use that.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Yes it does, if you keep the monitor program open for a while you will notice the voltage will automatically drop when core clock drop under Balanced/your choice of not High performance plan.

Some programs like Iolo System Mechanic automatically switch power plan based on your current usage. So you can use both Balanced and High Performance.

Trancestor

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016

Nope it doesn't, not for me at least. I don't see how it could anyway when in bios voltage is set as constant.
Anyway, should i be alright even without the voltage dropping at idle?