Question Is this amount of Vcore drop acceptable?

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Im running an i7 9700k @ 4.6Ghz at a fixed 1.3v.

Under load playing Battlefield 1 the Vcore drops slightly. This is my first OC and I just wanted to make sure that this is acceptable. Please see attached image.

Thanks.

dDCGyC1.png

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Yeah, that looks fine. It'll vary based on motherboard, load line calibration settings, and what you're running. If you were to run something really heavy like Prime95 it'd probably drop further.
It doesn't drop at all using Intel Burn Test. However battlefield will make it drop to 1.304 every time without fail. I guess what I'm asking is, is it safe to drop by this amount, and will it negatively effect performance in games?

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Is 1.3V the lowest you could get that's stable? That seems a little high for 4.6 GHz.

Also, a 9700K will automatically boost to 4.6 GHz on all cores at default settings. So you haven't really overclocked it at this point.

Tweaktown has a pretty detailed Coffee Lake OC guide if you're interested. https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html
I got the PC as a pre build from cyber power. It came OC'd lower than the Boost clock of 4.6Ghz as it was at 4.3Ghz. Every time I tried to remove the overclock using the profiles they had left on the bios the PC wouldnt boot. So they just suggested changing to clock ratio to 46 which I did today. The voltage hasn't been changed since they OC'd it, so they Shipped it at 1.3V.

I could probably lower it, but the PC is stable at the clock speed that I wanted, so is there much of a need for me to change it?

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
I'd do maybe 10-20 mV, doing quick checks for stability. Once you become unstable start increasing back 5-10 mV at a time.
Got it down to 1.24v today from the 1.3v it was at. Intel burn test passed on very high setting. Seems to be stable from the games I've played today and it's running cooler. I could probably go further but I don't think I need to.

Reactions: TJ Hooker