[SOLVED] Is this an acceptable refurb HDD? (207 degrees F on SMART)

Apr 8, 2019
Hi THW, first time long time. I just got my laptop fixed, and have a new (used) hard drive to show for it. Everything on SMART looks par for the course, except the one thing: max HDD temperature recorded is "97 C" (206.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

Without going into my warranty's specifics, do you think I have occasion to demand a replacement? Do you think I'll run into problems with this HDD? I kind of feel it limping already, but that's subjective, and it does pass a short diagnostic.

It's hard to know what falls within acceptability.

Solution
Way too hot!

For more general information there are many websites available. For example:

http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html

Make, model, and capacity of that HDD? Have you run the manufacturer's diagnostic software?

Back up the data as soon as possible and be sure to check if the backup data is recoverable and readable.

In any case bear in mind that anything you do may cause data loss and/or damage.

Save your data and then work on getting a replacement drive.

As for demanding a replacement the terms of such a replacement are likely spelled out in the warranty and being a refurbished drive the warranty's replacement terms are not likely in your favor. Mostly buried in the fine print.

Even with a...

Ralston18

Titan
Way too hot!

For more general information there are many websites available. For example:

http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html

Make, model, and capacity of that HDD? Have you run the manufacturer's diagnostic software?

Back up the data as soon as possible and be sure to check if the backup data is recoverable and readable.

In any case bear in mind that anything you do may cause data loss and/or damage.

Save your data and then work on getting a replacement drive.

As for demanding a replacement the terms of such a replacement are likely spelled out in the warranty and being a refurbished drive the warranty's replacement terms are not likely in your favor. Mostly buried in the fine print.

Even with a reputable seller you may not be able to RMA the HDD.

Reactions: MSRE Emissary
Solution