Question Is this an alright first of build?

You are spending almost half your budget on storage, that's absurd.
What is your total budget and location, and what is the purpose of this build?

Edit: I can see some chosen parts without price tags. Do mention which parts you are looking for.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, the storage situation is bizarre. A single large NVMe is nice, but extremely unsuitable in cost for a budget PC. Especially since the budget for this storage is leaving you apparently using a decade-old, low-quality, group-regulated PSU. This is like not fixing the brakes on your sports car because you really want it repainted a different color.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.25 GB Video Card
Case: darkFlash DLM 22 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 210-GQ-0650-V1 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $604.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-28 06:24 EDT-0400

If you need more bulk storage, get a smaller OS SSD and an HDD for the rest; they are quite cheap these days. Just can't justify a NVMe and that much storage unless this PC has an extremely unusual purpose. The difference between the SSD form factors is not worth holding back greatly on the PC's performance and safety.

If you want to save more money, keep the CPU you put in there and use the stock cooler. Not that crazy about this PSU, but it would be fine for these specs, though I'd buy something else if you were going to upgrade to a high-end GPU at some point.

You can save even more money by using unregistered Windows with a watermark and reduced customization. Or simply transition a current license of Windows to your new PC.

I agree that such a large NVMe drive might be overkill relative to the rest of the system's budget. Unless you need lots of fast storage for some reason, I would cut that back to a 1TB drive, which can be had for around $100, as there's always the option of adding additional storage later. And there's generally little reason to go with a more premium model like the 980 Pro unless you need optimum storage performance for certain niche workloads, as real-world performance in most applications and games will tend to be very similar with much less expensive models. That is, assuming you don't already have this hardware.

And something like the Ryzen 5600 mentioned in that earlier post would be a more capable CPU than the 4100, while being priced only a little higher. It offers 50% more cores and threads, and each core should be over 20% faster, which may help keep the system relevant longer.

And is this system intended for any gaming? If so, it might be worth swapping the GTX 570 for something more modern, as that is a decade-old card (Unless you are referring to the newer Radeon RX 570 instead). Even if you are reusing the card from an existing system or something, there are much faster cards available new for around $150 or so, or on the used market for less.

What is the purpose of this pc?
I might assume that it is for gaming.
If so, do you play fast action games, in which case the graphics card is all important.
Or do you play more cpu centric games like sims,mmo, or strategy games in which single thread cpu speed is more important?

Do you already own some parts?
Are you buying new or used?

Some thoughts:

If buying new, the Intel i5-12100 is a stronger and cheaper processor that comes with an adequate stock cooler.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i3-12100-12100f-review/5

FWIW, there are better coolers than the hyper212. I had a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to mount one.

Ryzen depends on fast ram for performance.
3600 speed is the sweet spot.
3200 speed is fine for Intel.

The Samsung 980 PRO is a fine top end drive if you have the budget for it.
The 2tb 970 evo Plus would be better for most.
The advantage of the pro is longer endurance, but that is no issue once you look at 500gb drives and larger.
Do not be seduced by fast sequential benchmarks.
You will not be able to tell any difference.
These experts could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

RX570 is an old card; I would look at a more modern GTX1650. Stronger if you are a fast action gamer.

The case is ok, but not a particularly well cooled one.

Lastly, to allow for a future graphics upgrade, I would go stronger on the power supply. 650w at least, perhaps 750w.
A quality unit will have a 7 year warranty or better.

Reactions: Hellfire13

g-unit1111

Titan

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
If so, do you play fast action games, in which case the graphics card is all important.
Or do you play more cpu centric games like sims,mmo, or strategy games in which single thread cpu speed is more important?

Some thoughts:

If buying new, the Intel i5-12100 is a stronger and cheaper processor that comes with an adequate stock cooler.
Here is a review:

FWIW, there are better coolers than the hyper212. I had a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to mount one.

The advantage of the pro is longer endurance, but that is no issue once you look at 500gb drives and larger.
These experts could not:

RX570 is an old card; I would look at a more modern GTX1650. Stronger if you are a fast action gamer.

Lastly, to allow for a future graphics upgrade, I would go stronger on the power supply. 650w at least, perhaps 750w.
You can't be serious dude:
View: https://youtu.be/7Go1NCKmo0A

Unless offcourse 1650 is a lot cheaper.
Otherwise he is better of with RX570 over GTX570 .
1650 Super on the other hand is quite a bit better.
Usually.
There is also RX580 if he is into used market.
Assuming used market also came down to reasonable or relatively reasonable prices again.

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022

Some thoughts:

Here is a review:

These experts could not:

Performance difference will be minimal and 3600 is usually more expensive.
He doesn't need it in that budget.
Better he saves some coin for GPU budget.

3200 is a sweet spot for AM4 Ryzen.
3600Mhz is a PC "Master Race" exaggeration that has no place in very limited budgets,unless a discount brings it at same price level as 3200.
I've seen benchmarks and it's a blatant misleading marketing and nothing else in most situations.