[SOLVED] Is this an ethernet cable?

Mar 31, 2020
Hey so i'm trying to add an ethernet jack in one of my rooms, and there is old wiring around the house and i'm pretty sure we have ethernet running somewhere. I found these cables inside of an outlet, but wherever i look I can not figure out what they are.
Its 3 cables coming out of the outlet, they all have 6 wires and the same colors for each. Blue, green, orange, white with blue, white with green, and white with orange. They are connected with little plastic pieces, and some of them connect to screws. Literally got no idea what it is, photo below. Any help would be appreciated
Xd6sPYI.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Your first step is to see if the wires run where you need them to go. You either need direct runs between the rooms or they all must go to some central location. Does not matter what the wires are if they do not go to the location you need.

My guess is this is cat3 telephone cable. It might be cat5 (not cat5e) but this is hard to tell by looking at them.
In any case you can try it and see if it works. You will at max get 100mbps because you need 4 pairs of wires to get gigabit. With 2 pair you are going to be limited to 100mbps. Follow the standard 568a or 568b colors and only use the green and orange pair of wires and omit the others.

Will it work is hard to say but generally you can get 100mbps to work at short...
Your picture is not visible. But by the way you describe cables, they might be Ethernet (where is the brown , brown-white pair) if they are round and there is something like "Category 5" printer on the cable. If they are flat, for sure they are not.

The other question is where's the other end of these cables.

Mar 31, 2020
Your picture is not visible. But by the way you describe cables, they might be Ethernet (where is the brown , brown-white pair) if they are round and there is something like "Category 5" printer on the cable. If they are flat, for sure they are not.

The other question is where's the other end of these cables.
normally ethernet cables would have a brown/white and brown cable, but I don't find any here. I have updated the picture so you can see it. they are round, but they don't have any CAT5/CAT6 labels. all thats written on them is "Type CMR 24 AWG (UL) E-107389 Verified LEV.II"
I also have no clue where the end of these cables are lol

Need to see the picture.
I have updated the picture so you can see it.

Your first step is to see if the wires run where you need them to go. You either need direct runs between the rooms or they all must go to some central location. Does not matter what the wires are if they do not go to the location you need.

My guess is this is cat3 telephone cable. It might be cat5 (not cat5e) but this is hard to tell by looking at them.
In any case you can try it and see if it works. You will at max get 100mbps because you need 4 pairs of wires to get gigabit. With 2 pair you are going to be limited to 100mbps. Follow the standard 568a or 568b colors and only use the green and orange pair of wires and omit the others.

Will it work is hard to say but generally you can get 100mbps to work at short distances on even telephone cable.

Solution