Is this an issue?

obochoman

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
So the other day i installed an Arctic accelero xtreme 7970 on my video card. All went well and think i put heat sinks on all the right places. Anyways, when it came time to plug in the fans i plugged in the three pin connector (daisy chained off the 4 pin) into my gpu. problem was the fans weren't spinning. So I tried plugging it into the molex adapter that came with it, like they did on this guide - http://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/zardon/arctic-accelero-xtreme-7970-cooler-review/5/ - only after the fact did i realize that this was not the way it was meant to be. After powering on my PC the black wire going to the 3 pin connector lit up and melted sending smoke flying. :ouch: After a brief moment of panic I calmed down and tried just using the 4 pin adapter (which was undamaged) and the fans spun fine. If it is working properly should it be an issue? I would like to be able to control the fan speed but my gpu only has a 3 pin connector, so would it be possible to replace the wire? Or is there some sort of 3 pin to 4 pin adapter?

Thanks!

Solution

Yeah the technical diagram didn't seem very well layed out, I don't think you'll have a problem.

obochoman

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
photo.jpg
[/URL][/img]

This is what it looks like.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
If your fans are running I don't see much of a problem, chances are they are just not running at the full speed. I honestly can't tell you why the plugs were made like that. I would clean up the burnt up wires and let it run.

obochoman

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
the molex plug has a 7v and 12v connection for the 4 pin, on the 12 it runs at close to full speed, while running slower on the 7v. I don't think the 3 pin was ever meant to plug into the other side then when it did it shorted out.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Yeah the technical diagram didn't seem very well layed out, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Solution