Is this artifacting? Or just the game?

bluemysts

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Heya, I've just started playing FFXIV:ARR and I noticed some flashing white textures at certain parts in the game. They are always in the same spots and this is the only game or program that does this. I did OC my GPU by 70Mhz core and 100Mhz memory but it's been fine for over a year so I doubt it's that considering this is the only game to do it. Specs listed at the end.

I've tried the following to no avail:
- 5 different drivers for my GPU (3 of which keep crashing)
- everything is updated fully (Windows/drivers/etc.)
- no viruses/spyware/adware etc.
- tried changing every setting one by one in game
- set GPU back to default clocks
- defragged, cleaned out my tower, chkdsk, even went as far as to completely reformat and start from scratch
- monitored temps/voltage/clock speeds etc. Nothing is out of the ordinary. GPU temp max at load is 80 - 83 C. It's not throttling or having any sort of thermal issues. Same for the rest of my hardware. CPU gets to about 60 C max at load.

My question is this: Could these be artifacts or, if anybody else here has played FFXIV:ARR, is this just a problem with the game? Mayhap the shaders going a wee wonky?

Here's a video of what I'm talking about. I just recorded this.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93OkuEbrIpk&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

This is the only game or program that does this so I'm assuming it's just the game but I'd like to know for sure if possible. Also something to note is it does not do this on my PS3.

Intel i7 3770
12GB DDR3 RAM
Geforce GTX 760
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Oh and hi~ First time here ^^

Solution
It seems most likely due to your camera angle getting disrupted with objects in the way. Does it happen when you zoom in enough to not have objects cross the camera so close?

bluemysts

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
After reading what you said, bystander, I thought of something - and it worked! I turned off Ambient Occlusion in Nvidia CP and it fixed it. Apparently it was caused by the rendering from that option not working correctly or something? Anywayyy, it's fixed now. Thanks <3