Question Is this black screen a cpu failure or other hardware issues?

Jun 14, 2021
Tried playing like 6 different games, but some gives me a black screen randomly where my pc dies on it's own, except the pc fans are still going. When it happens, I can't use the power button to stop the system and turn back on, I have to manually flip the psu switch at the back.

Always played in low settings with AA and Vsync off and my temps are usually around 60 ish. Updated radeon software and bios but the problem still occurs sometimes. Don't know how to start diagnosing so I need some help.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g
Mobo: b450 tomahawk max II
Ram: Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 8x2 DDR4 3200 XMP enabled
PSU: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W

Crashed games:
Batman Arkham Knight
Divinity Original Sin 2

Worked fine:
Genshin Impact
Just cause 3
Wolfenstein II
Duel Links

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version on your motherboard at the time of writing? Version for Windows 10(assuming you're on Windows 10)? Latest firmware on your Samsung drive? On a side note you should also have an NVMe driver to install for your SSD to operate optimally on your platform. Are the games installed on your SSD or another storage device? Speaking of optimal, are you working with the iGPU on that APU? no discrete GPU?

Jun 14, 2021
BIOS version on your motherboard at the time of writing? Version for Windows 10(assuming you're on Windows 10)? Latest firmware on your Samsung drive? On a side note you should also have an NVMe driver to install for your SSD to operate optimally on your platform. Are the games installed on your SSD or another storage device? Speaking of optimal, are you working with the iGPU on that APU? no discrete GPU?

Bios: 7C02vH5
Windows 10: 21H1 never turned off windows update

Didn't think I need to download drivers for ssd 🤦‍♂️. Guess I'll give that one a shot first. Not sure if this is the firmware version that you're asking. I had to google it just now to see.
SCSI\DiskNVMe______________Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_500GB2B2QEXM7
SCSI\DiskNVMe____Samsung_SSD_970_EXM7

Yes they are installed on my ssd since I didn't put any other storage, and no I don't have all of them installed at the same time so the ssd isn't full atm. Still shows 264GB available.

Yes, I am mainly using my APU. If the issue really is the built in APU then I can consider getting a 1030 since that's like the only one my local store has available at an affordable price. The issue is I don't know if it really is mainly the problem or if it's the other parts.