[SOLVED] Is this build compatible ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018
Hi,
I was just wondering if this build is compatible or the chosen parts are well suited.
It will be primarily used for streaming and gaming. Also, do you have any recommendations to make it any cheaper?

CPU -
Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU COOLER -
Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard -
Asus PRIME B560-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Memory -
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

HDD -
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

SSD -
Samsung 980 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Graphics Card -
Asus GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card

Case -
Corsair Carbide 175R RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU -
Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

OPS -
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

WIFI -
TP-Link Archer TX50E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter

Solution
Compatible, yeah. Well suited, no.
Flags:
1)Cpu cooler is quite weak for that class of cpu, which demands some big coolers.
2)Motherboard is a bit weak for that cpu in the area of power delivery. That cpu can slurp some power at times.
3)Carbide 175R. Careful with your cpu and gpu combinations if you really want this one. Airflow is not its strong suit, and will become a roadblock to what combos you can put in it.

It looks like your budget can't adequately cover the 10700K. The desire to get the build cost down when the selected cpu cooler and motherboard already aren't adequate is proof of that.
A better balance will be achieved by stepping down the cpu to an i5-10600K or i5-11400.
What would you recommend instead? 😳

A 2 TB SSD of any type.

2.5 inch or M.2 form factor

SATA or NVMe.

Whatever. Your motherboard should support any combination.

It wouldn't really matter. Any of those choices is considerably faster than a spinning drive. Even a cheap one like a Crucial BX500. MX 500 if you can afford it. Or any of several Samsung 2.5 inch models. Or Western Digital.

If the price is an absolute show-stopper and you won't cut back on any other component, then stay with the spinning drive.

Reactions: kianbiazar1

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018

Thank you for putting this all together. I see you've chosen a micro ATX which I guess makes sense as I wont need the excessive storage space, though I'd prefer if there was 2x display port and HDMI so I'm not sure if this requires a move to the regular ATX or if their are other options among the mini ATX. Also isn't the i7-12700KF a better option than i712700F due to the higher performance core clock speed?

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018
Hmmmm...........

According to my notes:

Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4;

HDMI 2.0, VGA, 2 Display Port; 4 SATA 3 ports, two M.2 ports, 2.5G Ethernet, 1 USB 3.2 C; 5 USB 3.2.

It may not be ideal otherwise.

There may be others.

Yea I guess it's alright but it's not really ideal as I plan on future proofing or maybe down the line adding a second monitor. Is it really necessary to get the 12th gen CPU over the 10th gen? Let me know if there is a good replacement for it or anything that comes close. Other than the CPU I've changed everything that has been suggested, so thanks again. I'm also wondering if there is an alternative 3070 around the same price that works with my chosen parts that isn't OC out the box

EDIT
NVM I'm actually an idiot, for some reason my walnut brain forgot about the display + HDMI ports in the GPU itself, the suggested motherboard is perfect 🙌 Though I'd still like an opinion on the GPU 👀

Last edited:
So-called future proofing appears to be a moving target with a lot of definitions, so I don't use the term. No doubt you have your own definition known only to you.

Generally speaking...

I would not get that particular Gigabyte B660M DS3H for my purposes.

If you must have certain features and those certain features are found ONLY on that specific Gigabyte, then obviously you buy it. For all I know, there are several others.

It sounds like you have one monitor now and may get a second in the future. Yet you say you want 2 Display Ports and 1 HDMI for a total of 3 monitors. I guess that is what you mean by "future proofing"?

To that I'd say "shoot ducks when they are flying".

Nearly any motherboard can support 2 monitors. Many can support 3. It is up to you to dig into Gigabyte or Asus or MSI web sites to see if there are any that have the EXACT monitor ports that you say you require. Or at least want.

Have you found a 10th generation board that has the EXACT monitor port configuration you must have?

It is extremely unlikely I'd ever choose a 10th gen processor over a 12th gen processor. What is the advantage of 10th gen if you are building from the ground up?

I have no idea about your video card.

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018
Which specific board is "perfect"?

The "Gigabyte B660M AORUS Pro AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard"
Yea it was my bad I completely forgot about the display ports + HDMI in the graphics card somehow

In @Why_Me 's post he provided the I7-12700F over the i7-12700KF even though it has a lower performance core base frequency (I'm not entirely sure what that means to be honest), would you have any idea as to why?

Here's a list of the updated parts list:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/KianBiazar/saved/Jx7yWZ

In @Why_Me 's post he provided the I7-12700F over the i7-12700KF even though it has a lower performance core base frequency (I'm not entirely sure what that means to be honest), would you have any idea as to why?

For whatever reason, your parts list is "private" and will not display.

If I were buying tomorrow, I'd get either of these boards:

The one you've chosen: Gigabyte B660M AORUS Pro AX DDR4

or

MSI B660M Mortar Wifi

They are quite similar. You may be able to find more reviews of the MSI, signifying very little.

Some notes I have made about them to myself while researching:

The Gigabyte has a 12+1+1 Twin Hybrid Digital VRM design. The 12 power phases for VCore use 6+6 phases parallel power design to ensure maximum Turbo Boost and stability during higher and continuous load. Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS button that allows you to flash BIOS without Installing the CPU, memory, and graphics card. Display connectivity options include HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 port.

The MSI has 2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe ports with heatsinks; Realtek 1200 audio; Realtek LAN; two 4 pin case fan connectors plus a 4 pin water pump; 1 USB type C; HDMI 2.1; Display Port 1.4; 3 USB 3.2 Gen 2 type A ports. EZ M.2 clip to tie down NVME drives rather than screws.

The F and the KF frequency differences mean very little considering how current Intel processors react when you stand on the throttle.

I personally would get the KF simply because it has integrated graphics. That may be worth something to you if your graphics card is outright dead or behaving poorly. If you don't care about that, the F is fine. I assume WhyMe was just trying to save you some money.

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018

or

MSI B660M Mortar Wifi

They are quite similar. You may be able to find more reviews of the MSI, signifying very little.

The Gigabyte has a 12+1+1 Twin Hybrid Digital VRM design. The 12 power phases for VCore use 6+6 phases parallel power design to ensure maximum Turbo Boost and stability during higher and continuous load. Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS button that allows you to flash BIOS without Installing the CPU, memory, and graphics card. Display connectivity options include HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 port.

The MSI has 2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe ports with heatsinks; Realtek 1200 audio; Realtek LAN; two 4 pin case fan connectors plus a 4 pin water pump; 1 USB type C; HDMI 2.1; Display Port 1.4; 3 USB 3.2 Gen 2 type A ports. EZ M.2 clip to tie down NVME drives rather than screws.

The F and the KF frequency differences mean very little considering how current Intel processors react when you stand on the throttle.

I personally would get the KF simply because it has integrated graphics. That may be worth something to you if your graphics card is outright dead or behaving poorly. If you don't care about that, the F is fine. I assume WhyMe was just trying to save you some money.

Thank you so much, that info helps heaps 😎I recon I'll stick with the Gigabyte motherboard and the intel i7-12700F

Also sorry about the link, this one should work: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/q4KgPX

Reactions: Why_Me
If you are still wanting to cut the budget, you could also consider the amd rx 6700xt. Just buying this week and you should be able to purchase for about 500 US dollars, unsure what that is in your currency though. Performance should be right between a 3060ti and 3070, some charts I looked at sometimes it beat the 3070 sometimes the ti, kind of depended on the game. Of course ray tracing is better on the 3070. But it may be a consideration.

The spec sheet for that cooler says it weighs 1.456 kg aka 3.2 pounds.

Are you OK with that? It might be a necessity with a high powered video card that puts out a lot of heat. I don't use them.

The NZXT case includes only 2 fans, both 120 mm; 1 front and one rear.

There is a reasonable chance you may want more case fans.....but you can worry about that later after assembly. The case has mounts for 2 in front, 1 in rear, and 1 on top. That should be plenty.

Last edited:

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018

or

MSI B660M Mortar Wifi

What would your thoughts be on this board instead?
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/motherboards/intel-socket-1700/93425-prime-z690-p-wifi-d4

I've done a bit of research and people seem to believe that the gigabyte motherboards dont perform as well as MSI or Asus boards

No worries, extra fans will also be added 😎

What would your thoughts be on this board instead?
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/motherboards/intel-socket-1700/93425-prime-z690-p-wifi-d4

I've done a bit of research and people seem to believe that the gigabyte motherboards dont perform as well as MSI or Asus boards

No worries, extra fans will also be added 😎
That Asus board is overpriced imo.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09NTPHRG7
MSI MAG B660M Mortar DDR4 $239.00

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660M-MORTAR-DDR4

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018

Great suggestion 🆒 I'm gonna be going with the MSI MAG B660M now. I think everything seems sorted I'm just doing some more research surrounding the case most concernable just regarding fan slots - I'm deciding between these two (4 should be okay in the NZXT case though cause I've never dealt with parts this powerful before I'm not sure how they do regarding heat and wether or not they require much more cooling):

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/nzxt-h510-flow-tempered-glass-midtower-atx-case-white-ac47719

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/co...se-black-ac37950#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

I'd love some feedback regarding whether or not all these parts will fit together nicely in the case, I think it should all work well but its better to be safe than sorry :sweatsmile:

(Looking like the final build for now 👀 )
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/KianBiazar/saved/RzqWcf

Reactions: Why_Me
Great suggestion 🆒 I'm gonna be going with the MSI MAG B660M now. I think everything seems sorted I'm just doing some more research surrounding the case most concernable just regarding fan slots - I'm deciding between these two (4 should be okay in the NZXT case though cause I've never dealt with parts this powerful before I'm not sure how they do regarding heat and wether or not they require much more cooling):

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/nzxt-h510-flow-tempered-glass-midtower-atx-case-white-ac47719

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/co...se-black-ac37950#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

I'd love some feedback regarding whether or not all these parts will fit together nicely in the case, I think it should all work well but its better to be safe than sorry :sweatsmile:

(Looking like the final build for now 👀 )
Both are solid cases. Another case to consider is this one ... unlike those NZXT and Corsair cases, these ones come with three pre-installed fans.

https://www.centrecom.com.au/lian-li-landcool-ii-215-mid-tower-case-black
Lian Li lancool II 215 Mid-Tower Case $129.00

https://www.centrecom.com.au/lian-l...-mid-tower-case-black-with-usb-type-c-connect
Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh Performance Mid-Tower Case $159.00 + Free Shipping

Last edited:

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018
Both are solid cases. Another case to consider is this one ... unlike those NZXT and Corsair cases, these ones come with three pre-installed fans.

https://www.centrecom.com.au/lian-li-landcool-ii-215-mid-tower-case-black
Lian Li lancool II 215 Mid-Tower Case $129.00

https://www.centrecom.com.au/lian-l...-mid-tower-case-black-with-usb-type-c-connect
Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh Performance Mid-Tower Case $159.00 + Free Shipping

Thank you for the suggestion but idk I'm not a big fan of Lian Li cases I think I'll just stick to the NZXT case and get myself 2 fans. Let me know if any good affordable ones come to mind 🙏
Other than that I'm gonna order the parts in a few hours so feel free to let me know if there is anything that needs changing or isnt compatible or whatsoever 😎

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/nPB64s

Last edited:
You might want to see what other 2 TB SSDs you can find other than that Crucial BX500 if near the same price.

The BX is certainly a major improvement over any spinning drive.

But it a notch below a lot of other SSDs.

What else can you find from Crucial, Western Digital, or Samsung that is within your price range? Or really any other brand.

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018
I had a bit of a look and can't seem to find anything special around that price. I'm more than happy with the bump up from HDDs though so its perfectly fine. However, I think i'll change to 500gb M.2 SSD to a 250gb cause just having the 2TB SSD alone is enough in of itself, though just double checking it now and it's literally only a 10$ difference so I recon I'll just keep it 😅

Also what are your thoughts on buying two 140mm case fans - placing them at the front of the case for intake and using the NZXT 120mm stock case fans as the two outtake at the back

Likely no issue on 250 gb rather than 500 assuming you know you will have no space issues with 250.

I have only a 120 GB ssd for Windows and all applications......it has never even been half full.

I have a separate 2 TB SSD for ALL data.

Your choice. You know your storage needs. No one else does. If you have 400 GB of installed applications, obviously you can't use a 250.

Fans.....it's all guesswork prior to getting your hands on it and experimenting.

Certainly try to get only PWM fans. 4 pin.

All things equal, 140 mm is better than 120 mostly due to lower noise for same airflow. 120 is fine. That's all I have.

If you had only 3 fans, you'd likely put 2 in front and 1 in back. A second in back may have no advantage at all and would only add noise.

It's all speculation at this point.

I'd just try to make sure I was getting above average fans. Decide how sensitive you might be to noise.

Any fan up above 1000 rpm is likely to be audible at 3 feet, but 3 of them would NOT be perceived as 3 times as loud.

You have a fairly high powered video card, so maybe get fans that could spin up in the 1500 plus range if they had to. Adjust their speed via a fan control curve in BIOS.

I use 1 intake and 1 exhaust, both deliberately in "silent" mode via BIOS. They spin very close to 500 rpm at all times. Virtually inaudible. You may not get yours that quiet because I don't use a video card and generate less heat.

kianbiazar1

Reputable
Jan 4, 2018
Likely no issue on 250 gb rather than 500 assuming you know you will have no space issues with 250.

I have only a 120 GB ssd for Windows and all applications......it has never even been half full.

I have a separate 2 TB SSD for ALL data.

Your choice. You know your storage needs. No one else does. If you have 400 GB of installed applications, obviously you can't use a 250.

Fans.....it's all guesswork prior to getting your hands on it and experimenting.

Certainly try to get only PWM fans. 4 pin.

All things equal, 140 mm is better than 120 mostly due to lower noise for same airflow. 120 is fine. That's all I have.

If you had only 3 fans, you'd likely put 2 in front and 1 in back. A second in back may have no advantage at all and would only add noise.

It's all speculation at this point.

I'd just try to make sure I was getting above average fans. Decide how sensitive you might be to noise.

Any fan up above 1000 rpm is likely to be audible at 3 feet, but 3 of them would NOT be perceived as 3 times as loud.

You have a fairly high powered video card, so maybe get fans that could spin up in the 1500 plus range if they had to. Adjust their speed via a fan control curve in BIOS.

I use 1 intake and 1 exhaust, both deliberately in "silent" mode via BIOS. They spin very close to 500 rpm at all times. Virtually inaudible. You may not get yours that quiet because I don't use a video card and generate less heat.

Thank you for the info 🙌
I found a decent replacement for the 2TB sata SSD but its with a M.2 one instead. Though I'm not sure if its a good choice yet
So replacing the Crucial BX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive with the Kingston NV1 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive instead.
Could anyone tell me a bit more about this SSD and if its a good replacement? Thank you

"good" meaning?

Less likely to break down or cause you a headache for whatever reason?

Longer warranty?

Faster in a benchmark?

Noticeably faster in your actual use? Regularly? Doing a specific 5 minute operation that you do once an hour? Once a year?

And on and on and on ad nauseam.

It may well be that the NVMe benchmarks better. I didn't look. You may be able to find one.

Many people are highly influenced by benchmarks. If you are, buy the one with the best benchmarks. Or the least horrifying reviews, if any.

Reliability, durability, likelihood of you being happy with your choice 3 years from now are all but unknowable. You are likely driftwood on the river more than you'd like. Me too.

I wouldn't get wound up about it. Lots of people would on the premise that "if only I had done another X hours of research, I could have avoided this problem".

You can Google until doomsday and still wonder.