[SOLVED] Is this build good enough as it is or is there anything I can replace?

Sep 26, 2018
Im fairly new to building rigs which is why I am asking this question.

Budget: $2000-2800
  • Carbide Series Clear 400C Compact w/ Window, No PSU, E-ATX, Black, Mid Tower Case
  • Z370 AORUS Gaming 7, Intel Z370 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i7-8700K 6-Core 3.7 - 4.7GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XC GAMING, 1350 - 1635MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, Black, DIMM Memory
  • 1000 G3, 80 PLUS Gold 1000W, ECO Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Dark Rock Pro 4, 163mm Height, 250W TDP, Copper/Aluminum CPU Cooler
  • 1TB 860 EVO 7mm, 550 / 520 MB/s, V-NAND MLC, SATA 6Gb/s, 2.5-Inch SSD
Anything I should replace before I buy the parts to make the computer or is it good as it is? The build as it is right now is $2300.

Solution
Yes, the board etc is compatible. The cooler is 163mm tall, the case supports a max of 170mm.

Given the higher-end nature of the build, the case doesn't really "fit", to me. It's a nice case, but it's a touch dated at this point. Might want to consider something a little newer, but the 400C is fine, and compatible.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
"Good enough"? Absolutely - you're not going to get a whole lot better than that.

Depending on price, you might be able to score a 9700K and Z390, but negligible.

The 1000W G3 is overkill - even with a 2080TI, a quality 650W range unit would be more than sufficient.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, the board etc is compatible. The cooler is 163mm tall, the case supports a max of 170mm.

Given the higher-end nature of the build, the case doesn't really "fit", to me. It's a nice case, but it's a touch dated at this point. Might want to consider something a little newer, but the 400C is fine, and compatible.

Solution
Sep 26, 2018

In replacement of the 1000 watt so
should I get the seasonic m12-700 700 watts?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
@wildanielcortes that's an older unit. It's 'fine', but probably not the best pairing.

Where are you located? A 1000W G3 in the US is ~$130. There's no need to spend that on a quality unit.

$80-$90 nets you any of those quality units. There are others, but those are great prices for great units.

If you're not in the US, your actual location & budget (in local currency) will help - regional availability varies quite dramatically.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Weirdly, with rebates, currently the Seasonic 750W Focus Gold can be had for slightly less than the 650W version.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gW...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750fm

That the FOCUS Gold, not the FOCUS Plus GOLD, so slightly different - mostly in it's semi-modular vs modular nature.
For the money, it's a great deal. Good find.

@King_V @Barty1884 Is it worth it to use an m.2 drive instead of a regular ssd? I'm planning on using a 1tb ssd for main storage and booting.

Vs a 2.5" SATA drive? No, it's not "worth" it, unless pricing is the same (or very, very close), IMO. In strictly daily use, you're not likely to 'feel' any noticeable difference. Might be the difference between 1 and 2 seconds loading a game, 8 vs 9 seconds boot - assuming a PCIe M.2 drive.
M.2 is just a form factor/connector, and can use either PCIe or SATA. A SATA M.2 will perform identically to a SATA 2.5" drive. For PCIe M.2/NVMe In benchmarks and certain workloads, a comparable 'tier'/quality drive will outperform it's SATA counterpart. But outside of those situations (ie for the average user, booting Windows, loading games/applications) it's not going to 'feel' any different.

If the price is the same, or within a couple of dollars, there's no harm - and the added benefit of less cables required..... but I wouldn't spend a decent margin more on one.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That the FOCUS Gold, not the FOCUS Plus GOLD, so slightly different - mostly in it's semi-modular vs modular nature.
For the money, it's a great deal. Good find.

Eep! Missed that! That's what I get for posting when still not completely awake... :sleep::LOL:

And, agreed - the M.2 is for most common usages, not going to feel any different. If the price is the same as a 2.5 or only slightly more, then it's something to consider as it connects right to the motherboard rather than having an extra SATA cable in the system, but that's about it in terms of advantages for most people.... not counting the specific use cases/workloads that Barty mentioned, of course.

Sep 26, 2018
@Barty1884 I've heard a lot of bad reviews about the 2080 ti such as the card dying and it overheating. Are these things I should worry about and if so do you have any recommendations on what I should do?

Maybe a specific 2080 ti that you recommend before I go ahead and buy one?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
@Barty1884 I've heard a lot of bad reviews about the 2080 ti about things such as the card dying and it overheating. Are these things I should worry about and if so do you have any recommendations on what I should do?

Maybe a specific 2080 ti that you recommend?

The 2080TI issues do not appear to be isolated to any one card/model necessarily.

My only recommendation would be to buy from a retailer with a decent return policy (30 days is probably your max) and a manufacturer known for their customer service.
EVGA tend to have the best reputation from a customer service/warranty standpoint.
Given the known issues with the cards though, a replacement from any manufacturer shouldn't be too difficult in the event you have a problem.

I don't think the issue is quite as widespread as initially feared - reports suggest RMA rates are not substantially increased vs any prior card..... but definitely something to keep in mind.

Sep 26, 2018
@Barty1884 Just fans that will do the job, preferably quiet but I dont mind a bit of noise. Right now I'm going for the Meshify C – Dark TG case but I'm still looking for different cases.

I'm gonna put it a i7 8700k and rtx 2080ti just in case you forgot.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Meshify-C is a great case, I use it myself. Honestly though, from experience, I'd opt for the lighter of the TG cases if you want to see inside at all. The dark is, well, quite dark.

From a noise standpoint, given the case supports 140mm fans up front, I'd suggest going that route.
Ships with 2x 120mm fans. One intake, one exhaust.

If you're ok with rebates, these can be had for $5/each after rebate. Or $10/each from Amazon.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QT...air-flow-1060-cfm-140mm-fan-mfy-f4nn-08nmk-r1

Or if you wanted to add some RGB bling, these are $9/each after rebate - $19 normally.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r8...ssure-rgb-462-cfm-140mm-fan-mfy-p4dn-15npc-r1

Personally, I use Noctuas.... but the basic colour scheme is not for everyone:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dwR48d/noctua-case-fan-nfa14pwm

And the black with swappable colours add a few dollars per, so you're looking more in the $40-$50 for a high quality pairing.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sW...825-cfm-140mm-fan-nf-a14-pwm-chromaxblackswap

Every build is different, of course - but I do like the Chromax.swap fans (pic of my rig in the spoiler)
Kc4iIlkaUvrF_MqksqA6GRgk3PW2kkTL0urYzUX4M8N73bMfVua2BJS6Iu9sjplvVtPiN259DpXaDNO5yZqEOr-4vysmtCFAKFZhbCcAI_Y4IhTL5K5t6F95lu6BgeSoRrlSxPcIv12Ba505ZP3gTiBmY3IYSpYV0I9la592f3ATHrxkvt0z3D6gsn_go8uBh7WcjzpNDQHaYr0_1y9q69-fDPOL8aT-tQrtC28xUPu2pPTqH9RiEgK0pk2xx_yPjP9OTd36keFItjhaqmFDd0M7K3uTbAJvsvVeB3VPY4rTqumWsDPLl5XGs9BHO8XSICUSELxOUKPFCG-tQKCoWq18YKDjzDTJPkdLr3Df5rIkeKTnG2Ut8kjjB1nqk7c-OF60x6Nj7hKFdpNs-Hze-qN2ebht4bh1bjy04ku38LOoB-oe1MLnEcDsRCfVq5JqhrMB-bWq8GmXlnJYj78PCCPd5zNSvlvoPPRw9rB5ODq26vVPd3zAXa53I_g5_TQ9ZZc2QhePMZLPOYKWR7PuytIcc61suLK6a5fFx8TDzE8ThhMIZ70WdH93n_U5hYAQidRlrpaBBJYf2G95kbZurprPLpNkXadnPcIYpMQ43T6_592Giy9cSa8wlwVMrKYy7j3LJbRzmZNGbETWEhT-lNZ8pOPeGLE=w973-h1297-no