Is this build good or bad? I hate to spend upwards of $1000 on something that dosn't work well

Solution
Couple things I noticed. No real reason to spend that much on RAM. 2 sticks costs less and performs better since Skylake is optimized for dual channel. Also no reason to buy 3000mhz RAM since H170 board (anything not Z170 actually) can't support more than 2133. Swapped the PSU, added an SSD and reduced HDD to 1TB, swapped the video card for a much more affordable one (with a higher out of the box clock) and a nicer case. It still has an aftermarket cooler to keep the looks decent as well.

Best part is it comes in almost 100 dollars less, and will perform better thanks to the SSD.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FMbv4C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FMbv4C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core...
I suggest 550W EVGA G2. Newer PSU ideal for newer stuff, and it's the same price plus the wattage difference shouldn't affect you.
ASRock isn't usually my first choice for motherboards, I heard some can break easily. I know some good Gigabyte motherboards go for the same price.

Other than that, your selection looks pretty nice. Others would suggest adding a Solid State Drive storage option to load windows faster but that's up to you, not mandatory.

Bobo14

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks for your quick reply! I'll look into a better psu first of all. Do you have any suggestions in the way of Gigabyte mobos? Preferably something that will work harmoniously with my other hardware and probably usb 3.0 and 4 ram slots. Also one more thing. If its not to frustrating, would you mind explaining how having an hdd and sdd together in one system works, to a noob? Thank you very much

Simple answer to the SSD & HDD combo ; the SSD is not on a spinning disk that passes under a needle. It's just... there. As a result, the data is loaded much faster and the SSD is great for loading frequently visited files / programs and most importantly, the operating system (Windows) Leave stored games and files on the HDD. Both work finely together and the computer will seamlessly access either from basically any area, from what I can tell.

If your case has 2.5" drive slots, it will fit the SSD inside without a doubt. When installing Windows, I just have ONLY the SSD plugged into the motherboard (sata cable things)

As for gigabyte motherboards...
This is a really nice feature filled MATX board. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/m6RFf7/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170mxgaming5
This will work well enough (I can't count the fan headers) but it's got USB3, 4x Ram slots, and 2x SATA 6gb/s for the SSD and Hard drive to mount on.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wBZ2FT/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170gaming3 it also fits better in the case (doesn't matter much but for looks, unless your case doesn't have mounts for MATX screws)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I made a bunch of changes for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.88 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($299.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: VIVO CASE-V02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.70 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $1013.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-21 20:07 EDT-0400

First thing, you don't need that cooler, your processor can't overclock, and the stock cooler that comes with it is fine.

Second, DDR4-3000 won't work on that board, well I should say it will work, but only at 2133, also there is no reason to get 4 DIMM's Skylake is only dual channel, so I swapped it to 2x8gb DDR4-2133.

Third I also changed out the PSU the NEX series is lower quality. the 550G2 is much better for you and way more than enough power.

ASRock is perfectly fine in fact I would take them over Gigabyte (I've had bad experiences). Thats a good board.

Now as for the suggestion of having a SSD and HDD, its a good one.

CV_Taihou

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Couple things I noticed. No real reason to spend that much on RAM. 2 sticks costs less and performs better since Skylake is optimized for dual channel. Also no reason to buy 3000mhz RAM since H170 board (anything not Z170 actually) can't support more than 2133. Swapped the PSU, added an SSD and reduced HDD to 1TB, swapped the video card for a much more affordable one (with a higher out of the box clock) and a nicer case. It still has an aftermarket cooler to keep the looks decent as well.

Best part is it comes in almost 100 dollars less, and will perform better thanks to the SSD.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FMbv4C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FMbv4C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.25 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $941.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-21 20:10 EDT-0400

Solution