Is this build good?

Tankers65

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Hey guys im 15 and I am probably going to make this build within the year, and I need help figuring out if this a good build and also if i should get the parts soon or later on. The price of this build is around $790 but $875 with the OS
The components
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB $249.99
Case Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer

Solution
No need for the CPU cooler, as I assume you won't be doing any overclocking. I'd also say get a better PSU. Corsair CX600 is what I recommend the most for single GPU and low cost but high quality.

Oops, missed like... half your questions.

So I would say save until you have the money for the entire build. Prices will hopefully have dropped by then and maybe you could get an entirely different build with better parts. If you live near a Micro Center, I'd get the CPU and motherboard there for sure. They have incredible sales and CPU / Mobo combo deals.

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
No need for the CPU cooler, as I assume you won't be doing any overclocking. I'd also say get a better PSU. Corsair CX600 is what I recommend the most for single GPU and low cost but high quality.

Oops, missed like... half your questions.

So I would say save until you have the money for the entire build. Prices will hopefully have dropped by then and maybe you could get an entirely different build with better parts. If you live near a Micro Center, I'd get the CPU and motherboard there for sure. They have incredible sales and CPU / Mobo combo deals.

Solution

Tankers65

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

what do you mean lower chipset and why an ssd instead of having a hdd?

Tankers65

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

So what happens if i want to upgrade the computer over time would that be possible to take out the stock heat sink and such?

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
By lower chipset, he means the configuration on the motherboard. It determines the specifications of the board itself, like how many PCI lanes it has or how many USB ports it has. The motherboard you picked is the higher end AMD chipset. Lowering it won't slow your computer down but may limit options for upgrading and overclocking. Also, $140 isn't an unreasonable price for a motherboard. You might be able to drop it to $100 or so with a different one should you so choose.

As for why a SSD, it loads Windows and programs installed on it much faster than a hard drive. It's not necessary for gaming, but just cutting down loading screen time. It's a convenience more than a necessity for gaming. You can get a small SSD for <$100 to install Windows, games, and programs on, and they will boot a LOT faster. Then if you want tons of space for movies, pictures, music, and games that don't need fast loading screens, a second drive could be added. It WILL cost more money to do the SSD option, however.

Here's what I'd suggest if you want a SSD:
http://amzn.com/B00E3W15P0

I'd also recommend a Western Digital Blue 1TB hard drive over a Seagate for a second drive, but that's just my personal preference. If you just want a hard drive, WD Blue / Black or the Seagate drive would all be fine.

Lastly, yes, you can remove the stock heat sink and put in a better one. You will just need to buy some thermal paste for $10-15 and apply it.

Tankers65

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Wow I got a lot from that hahaha, but if I were to get a SSD over a HDD about how much faster is the SSD than the HDD? Also I do plan to upgrade and I believe I will have to be using the USB ports often because I might get like 2 monitors or something would this motherboard be okay for that type of thing? Also do you mind staying in touch with me because you seem to know a lot about computer and I might need help programming the computer.