[SOLVED] Is this build ok?

Solution
i fixed your build:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wfFw27
I dont know why you went with x470 chipset with ryzen 5 2600.
I went with 3600 since its better,and b550 because its cheaper and its good for future proofing.
I uped the ram speed to 3600mhz,not something that you need to change from 3200mhz,but it will only boost you fps.
I stayed with 5600XT.
i stayed with 2tb hdd,and put a 256gb m.2 since it will be much faster than a ssd.
I choose the h500 as a case since its good,but you can change that if you want,also i went with aftermarket cooler,since the stock cooler for 3600 is really bad.There are litterally thousands and thousands of reports on the stock cooler,since its not doing its job right.
I went with 3600 since its better,and b550 because its cheaper and its good for future proofing.
I uped the ram speed to 3600mhz,not something that you need to change from 3200mhz,but it will only boost you fps.
I stayed with 5600XT.
i stayed with 2tb hdd,and put a 256gb m.2 since it will be much faster than a ssd.
I choose the h500 as a case since its good,but you can change that if you want,also i went with aftermarket cooler,since the stock cooler for 3600 is really bad.There are litterally thousands and thousands of reports on the stock cooler,since its not doing its job right.

Reactions: raghavbhargava2004
Solution

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Without knowing anything about your monitor - or your expectations for the build - it is really hard to give much advice. That said, regardless of your choice of processor/motherboard make sure that you purchase ram sticks that are on the manufacturer's QVL (Qualified Vendor List). If your chosen model of ram is not on the list, you will be wasting your time and money. Also if you choose to build a 3000 series Ryzen rig, make sure that you do a clean install of Win 10 using Microsoft's media creation tool. This means installing the most recent version of Windows 10. For context, I recently built a Ryzen 7 3700X mated to a Gigabyte X570 motherboard - and the only way to prevent the Clock_Watchdog_Timeout B.S.O.D. - was by installing version 1909 at the minimum.

This is how I'd do it.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.49 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/Green) CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($66.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston A2000 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($44.50 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB THICC II Pro Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: MUSETEX Phantom ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $979.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The r5 3600 is quite a bit faster then the 2600, it will net you 5-10fps more. As noted above, the stock cooler isn't the best, it's not terrible(those would be intel stock coolers), but if the ambient room temperature is on the high side or case airflow isn't very good, it can get toasty.

The x470 you picked was fine and will remain fine as long as you don't upgrade to a 3900x/3950x. The b550 boards that have recently released, have better power delivery and will generally run cooler, as long as they have a decent heat sink.

Going from 3200Mhz ram to 3600Mhz will net you a couple of frames(more frames if it's cl16), but the cost difference is small enough, that it's warranted. In regards to the QVL, that list is just what the manafacturer has tested to work with the board. There are near infinite ram sets to test, so not being on the QVL usually means nothing, as it's likely the oem didn't test the kit in the first place. If the ram kit is well reviewed and the reviewers are using ryzen systems, you're likely fine.

The su635 you had before was a dram-less ssd. This means the drive is using nand instead of dram as a cache, ultimately reducing the life of the drive(hence 3yr warranty) and slowing down quicker. The Team MS30, is also dram-less.
The kingston a2000 has dram(thus longer 5 yr warranty), though, I would really recommend going for a 500gb model, such as a crucial P1, as it's only a little more for double the capacity.

Power supply's are a bit of a tight situation, they are sold out and re-stocked randomly. This doesn't mean you should cheap out, as it is the core component, that literally powers your rig. The cx-m, it's actually worse then the corsair CX, but it would probably have worked fine.

The seasonic s12 III, it's a lower quality unit, built by RSY and using a dated group regulated topology, it's actually worse then the older seasonic built s12II.
The GX1 I linked, it's not the best unit, but it's pretty alright. Compare it to a corsair CX, but gold efficiency. Other good quality units would be Corsair TXm/RM/RMx, Evga G3, Seasonic Focus plus(or GC, GM, GX), Thermaltake GF1. It really depends on what's in stock.

Since you went for such a flashy case, maybe consider the ryzen 7 3700x, it's a fair bit more, but it comes with a decent performing and nice looking RGB cooler.

Last edited:

raghavbhargava2004

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
I stayed with 5600XT.
AYYY thanks bro, i built this and it runs awesome.