[SOLVED] Need help with Gaming PC build, both monstrous and vfm ?

Nov 24, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hello,

What are your thoughts on my upcoming upgrades around playing games at 1080p 60+ FPS stable with as few stutters as possible?
What I currently own:
Game 46%, Desk 73%, Work 34%
CPU: Intel Core i5-2310
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
RAM: Unknown Team-Elite-1333 Kingston 99U5471-002.A00LF Kingston 99U5471-002.A00LF 10GB
MBD: Asrock B75 Pro3
PSU: some brand nobody knows at 750 watt​
What I'm upgrading at:
Game 70%, Desk 100%, Work 65%
CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F
CPU cooler: Arctic freezer 34 duo
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 (stays the same with a potential future upgrade at either RTX 3060 Ti or 3070)
SSD: WD Black SN850 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
MBD: Asrock B560M Steel Legend
PSU: stays the same
Case: Kolink observatory Midi​

Thanks to everyone who took their time and took a look at this.

Last edited:
Solution
Board

https://www.dotpower.gr/index.php?route=product/product&path=82_83_93&product_id=66546

CPU

https://www.dotpower.gr/index.php?route=product/product&path=82_83_90&product_id=75347

RAM

https://www.dotpower.gr/index.php?route=product/product&path=82_83_91&product_id=10918

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B560M Steel Legend/index.asp

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i5-11400f-processor-review,1.html

Your images cannot be seen, 404 error. Must've been deleted. Either way, between those options in the poll above, the 11600K is a pretty good deal if you're gaming at 1080p, it's cheaper than the 5600X and provides overall better performance in most categories. Currently the 12600K is actually a way better deal but supplies for the new boards (DDR5 RAM) can be hard to come by, if you have time I'd wait for those to come into stock at affordable prices near you. If you can't wait then the Intel 11600K intel build is the way to go.

Nov 24, 2021
Your images cannot be seen, 404 error. Must've been deleted. Either way, between those options in the poll above, the 11600K is a pretty good deal if you're gaming at 1080p, it's cheaper than the 5600X and provides overall better performance in most categories. Currently the 12600K is actually a way better deal but supplies for the new boards (DDR5 RAM) can be hard to come by, if you have time I'd wait for those to come into stock at affordable prices near you. If you can't wait then the Intel 11600K intel build is the way to go.

Yes, I noticed that and I edited my original post, but anyways, thank you for the reply! You were very clear and helpfull. The difference in price between i5-11600k and Ryzen 5 5600x is like 40 euros. Plus, the Ryzen CPU is best seller (in my country at least - Greece) and second best is i5-10400F. That's why I was confused about which one to decide. But you cleared that out for me with the i5-11600k having better overall performance. Could you also share your opinion about the rest of the pieces?

Board

https://www.dotpower.gr/index.php?route=product/product&path=82_83_93&product_id=66546

CPU

https://www.dotpower.gr/index.php?route=product/product&path=82_83_90&product_id=75347

RAM

https://www.dotpower.gr/index.php?route=product/product&path=82_83_91&product_id=10918

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B560M Steel Legend/index.asp

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i5-11400f-processor-review,1.html

Solution
Nov 24, 2021
First of all, I want to thank you for your reply.
This micro-ATX MOBO is not compatible with my current GPU. Needs 1 x PCI Express x16 3.0 connection and this has only PCI Express x16 4.0, though the ATX equivalent one does, and it's about the same price, so I keep the suggestion in mind!

I don't get it. Why bother going for 11th gen i5-11400 and not buy the unlocked version i5-11600K? Like, if I'm buying locked CPU, my bet for performance and low cost would be 10th gen i5-10400F, no?

I see here you suggest me different set of RAMs of 3200 Mhz CL16, while I had picked a set of 3600 Mhz CL16. Like, the reason I went for
CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 16GB KIT DDR4 2X8GB 3600 CL16 DIMM 288PIN RED RGB was
A) 3600 MHz
B) CL16
C) RGB
D) All of the above in the price of ~80 euros. Whilst other RAM's with A),B),C) cost over ~100 euros.
So, I figured that Crucial Ballistix ones were better, no?

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that and I edited my original post, but anyways, thank you for the reply! You were very clear and helpfull. The difference in price between i5-11600k and Ryzen 5 5600x is like 40 euros. Plus, the Ryzen CPU is best seller (in my country at least - Greece) and second best is i5-10400F. That's why I was confused about which one to decide. But you cleared that out for me with the i5-11600k having better overall performance. Could you also share your opinion about the rest of the pieces?

Rest of the setup is fine, the topic about RAM, 3600MHz vs 3200MHz, is mainly that you do not need 3600MHz unless you want EVERY SINGLE FPS you can squeeze-out. The difference between 3200 and 3600 in gaming is only like 2-4 FPS increase average depending on the game. I have mine at 3733 from a previous 3200 setup and I only got like 4FPS increase. Generally that's not worth it for the extra money it costs to get 3600 compared to cheaper 3200. If you found a 3600 RAM stick for a good deal, then by all means go for it.

Reactions: The Gr33k Fre4k

DSzymborski

Titan

This micro-ATX MOBO is not compatible with my current GPU. Needs 1 x PCI Express x16 3.0 connection and this has only PCI Express x16 4.0, though the ATX equivalent one does, and it's about the same price, so I keep the suggestion in mind!

That's not how that works. PCI Express is both backward and forward compatible; your current GPU will run just fine in any PCIE 4.0 slot. The only GPU compatibility problem you can really run into is UEFI vs. BIOS, but that's not applicable for anything made in the last decade.

I don't get it. Why bother going for 11th gen i5-11400 and not buy the unlocked version i5-11600K? Like, if I'm buying locked CPU, my bet for performance and low cost would be 10th gen i5-10400F, no?

I see here you suggest me different set of RAMs of 3200 Mhz CL16, while I had picked a set of 3600 Mhz CL16. Like, the reason I went for
CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 16GB KIT DDR4 2X8GB 3600 CL16 DIMM 288PIN RED RGB was
A) 3600 MHz
B) CL16
C) RGB
D) All of the above in the price of ~80 euros. Whilst other RAM's with A),B),C) cost over ~100 euros.
So, I figured that Crucial Ballistix ones were better, no?
Because just like in the reviews I posted up above, you can run that cpu with the power limits turned off in the bios. It's a round a bout way of overclocking those cpu's as it keeps them in turbo boost longer.

Nov 24, 2021
Update 28/11/21

So, after long hours and hours of reading, comparing, price checking, getting the best of the best and at the best value for my pockets I came up with these options for my "new" gaming PC. Please share with me your opinions, so I can hit that "complete order" button :LOL:

RAM : CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB DDR4-3200MHZ

CPU : INTEL CORE I5-11400F BOX

GPU : I keep my own. Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 by Gigabyte

Case: COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB MIDI (FENSTER INTER: 2X 3,5" 4X 2,5")

Storage : WESTERN DIGITAL SN850 SSD 500GB M.2 NVME WDS500G1X0E

CPU cooler : ARCTIC FREEZER 34 ESPORTS DUO WHITE

MOBO : ASROCK B560M STEEL LEGEND MAINBOARD

PSU: I keep my own. Argus 720 Watt

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Nov 24, 2021
Is it possible that ASROCK B560M STEEL LEGEND MAINBOARD is not compatible with
INTEL CORE I5-10400F OPEN BOX? Because in the CPU (Intel i5 Comet Lake gen) descrition says: socket 1200 compatible with B460, H410, H470, Q470, Z490 (There is nowhere in this list model type B560). Even though in the MOBO description says: supported prossecors Intel Comet Lake gen Socket 1200. So is it just a typo error in the CPU's description page, or . . . ?

Also, when I put all these parts on pcpartpicker.com, this message comes up
  • Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 requires an Intel Rocket Lake-based CPU. When an Intel Rocket Lake-based CPU is not used, the M.2 slot is disabled.
Are these two things related? Like, unless I connect the ASROCK B560M STEEL LEGEND MAINBOARD with an INTEL CORE I5-11400F BOX, I won't be able to use WESTERN DIGITAL SN850 SSD 500GB M.2 NVME WDS500G1X0E ? So, is this like a "with 1 bird 2 stones" scenario? I swap out INTEL CORE I5-10400F OPEN BOX for INTEL CORE I5-11400F BOX and both problems solved?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021
Hello! What are your thoughts on my upcoming upgrades around playing PoE at 1080p 60+ FPS stable with as few stutters as possible?

What I currently own:
Game 46%, Desk 73%, Work 34%
CPU: Intel Core i5-2310
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
RAM: Unknown Team-Elite-1333 Kingston 99U5471-002.A00LF Kingston 99U5471-002.A00LF 10GB
MBD: Asrock B75 Pro3
PSU: Argus 750 watt

What I'm upgrading at:
Game 70%, Desk 100%, Work 65%
CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F
CPU cooler: Arctic freezer 34 duo
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 (stays the same with a potential future upgrade at either RTX 3060 Ti or 3070)
SSD: WD Black SN850 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
MBD: Asrock B560M Steel Legend
PSU: stays the same
Case: Kolink observatory Midi

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The only item that I would question would be in regard to the 1660. I am not real sure what it's is capable of, frame wise.

Be sure to check whether you will need a BIOS update to use that mobo and 11th gen out of the box. I did not notice in a quick look that the motherboard supports BIOS flash(back) etc.

Would strongly recommend considering buying a good name brand PSU. If you don't know what it is, and is as old as the other components you list it would be a shame to have it take out your new stuff.

Nov 24, 2021
First of all, thanks for the reply!
The only item that I would question would be in regard to the 1660. I am not real sure what it's is capable of, frame wise.
Yeah, well... At the moment the prices of GPU's are insanely high.. So I can't help but waiting. It's definetely so much better than the GTX 750 my build had before. And it hasn't even been a year yet since that upgrade.
Be sure to check whether you will need a BIOS update to use that mobo and 11th gen out of the box. I did not notice in a quick look that the motherboard supports BIOS flash(back) etc.
How do I check that? I checked all parts at pcpartpicker.com and there was no compatibility issues whatsoever.
Would strongly recommend considering buying a good name brand PSU. If you don't know what it is, and is as old as the other components you list it would be a shame to have it take out your new stuff.
How would the PSU take out my new stuff? By all means, if you tell me it will, I will definetely invest in a good PSU, like corsair or something.

Nov 24, 2021
A poor quality PSU can absolutely kill other equipment.
Especially if it is old, and especially if you are asking it to run power hungry equipment.
Ok, I hear that. Keyword: power hungry equipment. Do you think that this equipment is power hungry? I mean, if I put all these components in a PSU calculator, I get that with a 450-500 watt PSU I'm good, and my current PSU, despite old is 750 watt. So, I didn't think it was crucial to buy another one. But anyways, if you recommend me that I do, then that I shall. Should I invest in a 450-500 watt 80+ gold or more?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Ok, I hear that. Keyword: power hungry equipment. Do you think that this equipment is power hungry? I mean, if I put all these components in a PSU calculator, I get that with a 450-500 watt PSU I'm good, and my current PSU, despite old is 750 watt. So, I didn't think it was crucial to buy another one. But anyways, if you recommend me that I do, then that I shall. Should I invest in a 450-500 watt 80+ gold or more?

I am all for using old equipment that still works. There is a process to the risk.
Consider the price of a new, good quality PSU that will supply what this rig needs (currently) as well as the planned GPU upgrade.
Compare that against the price of all the new equipment you are going to use on the old PSU.
If that risk to cost ratio is within your comfort zone, by all means....

Nov 24, 2021
I am all for using old equipment that still works. There is a process to the risk.
Consider the price of a new, good quality PSU that will supply what this rig needs (currently) as well as the planned GPU upgrade.
Compare that against the price of all the new equipment you are going to use on the old PSU.
If that risk to cost ratio is within your comfort zone, by all means....
Don't get me wrong here. I just don't understand what this risk you talk about is. Because so far this PSU has done the job and I'm pleased. So if you could please explain to me the risk I'm getting into by keeping the same PSU. Because like, in my head, even if it starts to fail me, worst case scenario the PC won't start or will begin to turn off randomly on its own. But how will this affect my newly bought equipment? I thought it would only affect my software at the very least.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Don't get me wrong here. I just don't understand what this risk you talk about is. Because so far this PSU has done the job and I'm pleased. So if you could please explain to me the risk I'm getting into by keeping the same PSU. Because like, in my head, even if it starts to fail me, worst case scenario the PC won't start or will begin to turn off randomly on its own. But how will this affect my newly bought equipment? I thought it would only affect my software at the very least.

As logainofhades already pointed out quoting the "no name" aspect...
As PSU age they are less capable of delivering the power they are capable of. This can be a combination of factors including the components themselves degrading, heat buildup in relation to dust, and simply not putting out a clean and at rated output.

As I mention above, I am all for utilizing old equipment that still works, but I also take into account that if I overestimate its ability and things go wrong that I am cognizant of the cost of that risk. Ultimately, it's your rig and your decision. Our advice is based on many similar situations, posts, the outcome, and personal experience.

YMMV

bignastyid

Titan
With a poor quality PSU the worst case scenario is it destroys everything it powers as they skimp on protections as they cost money to properly implement. There are some that are so bad that can catch fire. Using a junk PSU is like playing Russian roulette you may get lucky for awhile before it ends badly.