[SOLVED] Is This Coil Whine?

Oct 10, 2022
So, I recently upgraded my cpu, motherboard, and gpu and when gaming I realized that my pc is making a loud buzzing noise. I located the noise to either be coming from my gpu or aio cooler. I also read that a psu can cause this to happen if it is low enough wattage. I took some videos of the noise, the first one is when I am in game (playing cod warzone), the second one is when I tab out but the game is still open.

Video 1, while gaming:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkGoyKn7egc&ab_channel=YodA

Video 2. tabbed out while game is still open: https://youtube.com/shorts/PBx94mvzJ8o?feature=share

PC specs:
ryzen 5 5600x
asus rog strix b550-f motherboard
xfx rx 6800 xt 319 merc
650w seasonic focus gm
corsair h100i pro xt
2x8gb 3600mhz ram ddr4

Solution
So, I recently upgraded my cpu, motherboard, and gpu and when gaming I realized that my pc is making a loud buzzing noise. I located the noise to either be coming from my gpu or aio cooler. I also read that a psu can cause this to happen if it is low enough wattage. I took some videos of the noise, the first one is when I am in game (playing cod warzone), the second one is when I tab out but the game is still open.

Video 1, while gaming:

Video 2. tabbed out while game is still open: https://youtube.com/shorts/PBx94mvzJ8o?feature=share

PC specs:
ryzen 5 5600x
xfx rx 6800 xt 319 merc
650w...
Oct 10, 2022
I just hear fans running, like when GPU is under load (as it would when gaming).

When you upgraded the components, what did you upgrade from? Did you re-cycle a previous install of Windows or perform a fresh install?
I recycled my previous one, which isn't working at the moment saying I need to activate windows, because I reset my pc so that I can start fresh and now its not working trying to figure it out. and your not able to hear the high pitched noise? its pretty loud.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Details matter. I assume you had a previous AMD CPU. Is that correct? What GPU were you using?

On this config, did you install the AMD chipset drivers (directly from AMD)?

Also, if you stop the GPU fans one at a time, does the noise change?

Oct 10, 2022
I now have the ryzen 5 5600x paried with the asus rog strix b550 f motherboard, I have the rx 6800 xt xfx merc 319, psu 650w seasonic focus gm, 2x8 3600mhz ddr4 ripjaws ram, corsair 100i pro xt cooler. For amd chipset drivers do you mean for the gpu or for the cpu? and for stoping the gpu fans do I try that when in game when the coil whine is present? is so will it damage the gpu?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I now have the ryzen 5 5600x paried with the asus rog strix b550 f motherboard, I have the rx 6800 xt xfx merc 319, psu 650w seasonic focus gm, 2x8 3600mhz ddr4 ripjaws ram, corsair 100i pro xt cooler. For amd chipset drivers do you mean for the gpu or for the cpu? and for stoping the gpu fans do I try that when in game when the coil whine is present? is so will it damage the gpu?
We aren't communicating. I have been asking about what you had installed previously.

AMD chipset drivers are also referred to as motherboard drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

Stopping one fan at a time won't harm the GPU. Just use your finger on the center portion of the fan to stop it. Not the blade part. This can be done while under load. Once again, be careful.

Oct 10, 2022
Im not understanding "what you had installed previously" so ill try again and eventually we will be on the same page. So, maybe you talking about what drivers I had previously like Nvidia and what not. Now I believe that this irrelevant because I have a whole new motherboard and processor and I also reset my pc to factory setting and deleted everything as well, and used ddu for my gpu and downloaded all new drivers and when downloading amd drivers these days it seems they do cpu and gpu drivers all at once.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Im not understanding "what you had installed previously" so ill try again and eventually we will be on the same page. So, maybe you talking about what drivers I had previously like Nvidia and what not. Now I believe that this irrelevant because I have a whole new motherboard and processor and I also reset my pc to factory setting and deleted everything as well, and used ddu for my gpu and downloaded all new drivers and when downloading amd drivers these days it seems they do cpu and gpu drivers all at once.
You now have a Ryzen 5600x. What CPU were you previously using?

You now have an Asus ROG Strix B550 F. What motherboard were you previously using?

Same for the GPU.

You mentioned upgrading all three components.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Oct 10, 2022
my brother has a pc with a 750w psu should I put my gpu in his rig and see if it has coil whine? if so do I need to use ddu for the drivers even though we both have amd cards? and will my system still be ok if I use it or will something bad happen?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
my brother has a pc with a 750w psu should I put my gpu in his rig and see if it has coil whine? if so do I need to use ddu for the drivers even though we both have amd cards? and will my system still be ok if I use it or will something bad happen?
You shouldn't need DDU in that case, assuming his drivers are current.

When stopping the fans, you are listening for the tone to change.

Sep 15, 2022

Video 1, while gaming:

PC specs:
ryzen 5 5600x
xfx rx 6800 xt 319 merc
650w seasonic focus gm
corsair h100i pro xt
2x8gb 3600mhz ram ddr4
Interesting, I had the exact same issue and no one could tell me what it was. It sounded exactly like it does for you, high pitched whine. In fact I still have the same issue but I can assure you it is not something that is harmful.

I used an app called dB Meter (On iPhone, unsure about other platforms) to determine where exactly the noise came from. Personally mine comes from either GPU or vram since when I used GPU-Z and stress tested the "PCI", only then did the noise appear whereas not all GPU related tests did the same.

I would personally recommend to narrow it down to your CPU, GPU or vram though (unless the noise comes from psu area). It can most likely come from there, and I can say from experience. I hope you can completely rule out the cause honestly, I understand it can be frustrating especially if you have a pc close to you/ on your desk.

Solution