Question Is this combo a bottleneck?

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
So, I am upgrading from an i5+4590T cpu, to the i5-4670. At least I am trying to but I am ,90% sure I can get this one. It's gonna be paired with the 3gb 1060, and 8gb ddr3 ram. Will this bottleneck the card? Is this a good idea? Of should I just stay with the 4590T. Am I gonna feel any difference? Because I certainly didn't feel ehat I should in gta v. Any suggestions are appreciated guyzz

InvalidError

Titan
Anything can bottleneck anything else when given an "appropriate" workload.

It might be possible to bottleneck a 2080Ti on an i3-540 in Portal 2: max all in-game graphics options, then force FSAA to max (don't remember if it had it in-game) and force max super-resolution on top :)

May 27, 2019
Depending on your settings (resolution, aa, details, etc) config on games, I highly doubt there would be any kind of bottleneck.

4th gen i5s or i7s are pretty good for budget builds, as in some cases you could even pair them with a RTX 2070 without problems (again, depending on settings).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll get a few more fps swapping from the 4590t to the 4670, the biggest difference coming from the move from a 950 to a 1060. What's going to suck is that you are hoping for better, and not going to really get stronger performance moving from an i5 to an i5 and trying to play GTA:V. That game is miserable for quad thread cpus, doesn't matter if they are Haswell or Kabylake or AMD, 4 threads is the absolute minimum requirements and you'll still get close, if not at, 100% cpu usage.

Regardless of other benefits, the best move to alleviate seriously high cpu usage in GTA:V is the 4770 or 4790 or K version of either. The hyperthreading allowing upto 8 threads will considerably free up cpu resources and allow for higher fps, which you won't really get much of on a quad thread cpu.

And that's inherent to many games, not just GTA:V. The Xeon e3-1270/1280 v3 would also be a viable upgrade.

hephaistos

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
You'll get a few more fps swapping from the 4590t to the 4670, the biggest difference coming from the move from a 950 to a 1060. What's going to suck is that you are hoping for better, and not going to really get stronger performance moving from an i5 to an i5 and trying to play GTA:V. That game is miserable for quad thread cpus, doesn't matter if they are Haswell or Kabylake or AMD, 4 threads is the absolute minimum requirements and you'll still get close, if not at, 100% cpu usage.

Regardless of other benefits, the best move to alleviate seriously high cpu usage in GTA:V is the 4770 or 4790 or K version of either. The hyperthreading allowing upto 8 threads will considerably free up cpu resources and allow for higher fps, which you won't really get much of on a quad thread cpu.

And that's inherent to many games, not just GTA:V. The Xeon e3-1270/1280 v3 would also be a viable upgrade.
Well, already got the 4670. Btw I couldn't currently consider the 4770.