Question Is this computer any good?

Aug 25, 2019
Good Morning All

Turning to the experts on this one since I am unfamiliar with the new intel drives.

I am looking for a refurbished desktop to run a security camera software called blue iris. The computer will accept data through a POE switch and store recording.

I was directed towards dell refurbished and found this on eBay, buying in Canada so that’s why the .ca site.

Thanks for any advice.

——-

Off-lease, from corporate environment Dell Optiplex 3050 Tower Computer.

Specifications:
Intel Core i5-7500 3.4Ghz(up to 3.8Ghz TurboBoost) Quad-Core Processor
8GB DDR4 RAM(1x8GB PC4-2400T, 1 slot free)

1TB 3.5" 7200RPM S-ATA Hard Drive
DVD-RW DRIVE(DVD/CD burner)
1Gbps Ethernet
Sound Card
Intel HD Graphics 630 up to 4GB Integrated Video Card
1 HDMI Video Out
1 DisplayPort(DP) Video Out
1 PCI-E Slot(full height)
8 USB Ports(4 of them USB 3.0)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/401773449174

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
While I'm not personally aware of Blue Iris and don't know anything about the program; what I do know is that most workplaces use servers from HP's Z Series and Dell's Precision Series etc for surveillance.

The i5-7500 is what I call a 'domestic' CPU as it isn't really meant to run 24/7. Besides, it has just 4 cores and 4 threads which may prove to be a limiting factor.

If I was you, I'd go with either an HP Z400 or Dell Precision T3500 server. Extremely cheap, bombproof, reliable, dependable machines that will be more than happy to run 24/7. Then just drop a hexa-core Xeon like the X5660 which not only has 6 cores, 12 threads but also costs just $15 on places like ebay and AliExpress and has around 15% higher overall multi-core performance than the i5-7500.

Hope it helps.

While I'm not personally aware of Blue Iris and don't know anything about the program; what I do know is that most workplaces use servers from HP's Z Series and Dell's Precision Series etc for surveillance.

The i5-7500 is what I call a 'domestic' CPU as it isn't really meant to run 24/7. Besides, it has just 4 cores and 4 threads which may prove to be a limiting factor.

If I was you, I'd go with either an HP Z400 or Dell Precision T3500 server. Extremely cheap, bombproof, reliable, dependable machines that will be more than happy to run 24/7. Then just drop a hexa-core Xeon like the X5660 which not only has 6 cores, 12 threads but also costs just $15 on places like ebay and AliExpress and has around 15% higher overall multi-core performance than the i5-7500.

Hope it helps.
Blue Iris runs best on Intel's integrated graphics w/ QuickSync technology, which is Sandy Bridge through current-gen mainstream CPUs. Xeons don't have integrated graphics, so that would not be a good choice as you would be relying on other graphics which would use a lot of power and not be as efficient as an Intel CPU w/ QuickSync.

An i5-7500 would be a good choice and would easily run 10 cameras (probably more). Of course if you can afford it an i5-8400 with 6 cores would allow for more cameras, but that's basically all it's doing is future-proofing for more cameras.

If you have a lot of questions about Blue Iris and IP cameras, this other forum is a great place where many people who are running exactly that can help you with all your questions. https://ipcamtalk.com/