[SOLVED] Is this computer / motherboard too old to install an SSD as the main drive?

Lands

Commendable
May 22, 2020
Hi all,

With the help of this forum I've been working through upgrading an old computer to see if I can get away with that vs $1000+ on a new one.

Memory install went great (16gb has made a big difference). Still working on the GPU...

No I'm interested in installing an SSD and cloning my boot drive and using the SSD as my main. My computer frequently runs at "100% disc usage" and in general if feels like pulling from the disc is showing my computer down (I do a lot of Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere work).

Question is, before I jump and buy the SSD:

1. Will my motherboard not only support the SSD, but will I get the full value of the new speed out of it? (seems like I've read there can be a bottleneck and you don't always get the full transfer speeds)
Here' my system info:

My computer/ motherboard:​
Computer: HP Pavilion HPE h8-1120
Motherboard:​
IPISB-CU (Carmel2)
Manufacturer: Pegatron​
BaseBoard: 2AC2​
version 2.00​

Thank you for the help.

LB

Lands

Commendable
May 22, 2020
A SATA SSD will work.
However...

"4x SATA 2.0 connectors "
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02980014

A current SATA III drive will be hampered by the SATA II connectivity.
It will, though, be a lot faster than the existing HDD.

Thank you. That's helpful. Looks like I'd be possibly getting 250-300Gbps vs up to 6Gbps with SATA 3?

As you mentioned, it does look like it would be a nice upgrade in speed.

I see that they make SATA 3 PCIe cards but that you need to do some work to get them bootable as the OS. Not sure if that's worth it, but double the SATA 2 speed would be nice.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you. That's helpful. Looks like I'd be possibly getting 250-300Gbps vs up to 6Gbps with SATA 3?

As you mentioned, it does look like it would be a nice upgrade in speed.

I see that they make SATA 3 PCIe cards but that you need to do some work to get them bootable as the OS. Not sure if that's worth it, but double the SATA 2 speed would be nice.
Highly doubtful you can make that system boot from an SSD in a PCIe adapter.
It would work as a secondary drive, but not as the OS drive.