[SOLVED] Is this cooling enough for Ryzen 5 5600x, asus x570e and RTX 3070 build?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
A cooler master h500 case (no additional fans just the base ones out of the box) and Arctic freeze 34 esports duo

Last edited:
Solution
Hi
If you set up the case fans the way Hellfire13 and Phaaze88 have suggested, I think the Arctic Esports 34 duo will do a great job.
I have 1 on my wife's 2600x in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case currently with a
gtx 960 4gb And about to install my old 1070 ti so I may be adding a second fan up top if hers temps change.
Currently have 2x120mm front, 1x140mm top rear, 1x120mm rear in a 22-24c ambient temp room.
The 2600x runs 26-30c idle,
On a Aida64 Extreme Fpu test it tops out @74c with a cpu fan curve set @
40c-45%
60c-65%
75c-80%
The cooler was purchased to be a back up which was needed when the corsair h100iv2 240mm that was on the 2600x needed to be Rma'd and has Exceeded my Expectations.

As Phaaze88 has said Old School Overclocking...

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
Here and there, yes. Overclocking isn't what it used to be now that cpus and gpu do most of it for you on their own. Gone are the days of big 40%(or some other big number) OC's.

Which what is better?
By which what is better I meant that is auto OC is better than manual OC today. You pretty much answered that.

@Hellfire13
@Phaaze88
Thank you for answering all my questions. Sorry if incase I sounded like an asshole or got you frustrated with the way I ask questions. Thank you and wish me luck.

Before I leave. Are there better cpu coolers than arctic freeze or is this more than enough?

By which what is better I meant that is auto OC is better than manual OC today. You pretty much answered that.

@Hellfire13
@Phaaze88
Thank you for answering all my questions. Sorry if incase I sounded like an asshole or got you frustrated with the way I ask questions. Thank you and wish me luck.

Before I leave. Are there better cpu coolers than arctic freeze or is this more than enough?
What is your budget and location for the cooler???

Well, I did quote the arctic freeze 34 esports duo through out this thread so that might give you an idea of budget. As for location... How else do you fit it? Front to rear on the cpu. Mobo and cpu are quoted in the title.
I meant which country are you located in? Prices vary from region to region. The point is to get the best cooler within your budget. Here's a rough reference guide...

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Auto overclock programs or features, like Msi Dragon Center and Multi/All Core Enhancement in bios, for example, are not ideal. They just use too much voltage to guarantee stable OCs.

I'd say it's more than enough. The 5600X is low power, so a bigger cooler won't necessarily be much of an improvement; the cpu won't come close to heat soaking something like a NH-D15, and because of that, thermals may not improve.
Some say that you can't go overkill on a cooler. I think you can.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
I meant which country are you located in? Prices vary from region to region. The point is to get the best cooler within your budget. Here's a rough reference guide...
USA is my country. Budget is around the arctic freeze price.

Hi
If you set up the case fans the way Hellfire13 and Phaaze88 have suggested, I think the Arctic Esports 34 duo will do a great job.
gtx 960 4gb And about to install my old 1070 ti so I may be adding a second fan up top if hers temps change.
Currently have 2x120mm front, 1x140mm top rear, 1x120mm rear in a 22-24c ambient temp room.
40c-45%
60c-65%
75c-80%
The cooler was purchased to be a back up which was needed when the corsair h100iv2 240mm that was on the 2600x needed to be Rma'd and has Exceeded my Expectations.

As Phaaze88 has said Old School Overclocking has Long past with Ryzen Cpu's and as many others has said Oc expectations need to be tempered.
Your not going to get high clocks without running Unsafe voltages so something to think about if you want to keep that cpu around for awhile.
So for the cooler on a 5600x running Pbo yes I think I would have no problem with that cooler running a very similar fan curve.
It's Very Quiet also.
Hope some of this helps.

Solution

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
Hi
40c-45%
60c-65%
75c-80%

As Phaaze88 has said Old School Overclocking has Long past with Ryzen Cpu's and as many others has said Oc expectations need to be tempered.
Your not going to get high clocks without running Unsafe voltages so something to think about if you want to keep that cpu around for awhile.
So for the cooler on a 5600x running Pbo yes I think I would have no problem with that cooler running a very similar fan curve.
It's Very Quiet also.
Hope some of this helps.
What's this fan curve I keep reading about?

The fan curve is in your bios.
On my Asus mobo's it's in the Q fan setting.
To set a curve manually you will enter Q fan and run the initial fan optimization.
It runs a simple calibration lasting a minute or 2.
When done you can make your own fan curve setting the bios to run the fan at some set points you specify.

So on my wife's when the cpu is idle at Say 30c it's running 45% fans speed.
When the temps rise above 40c the fan also increases slightly as well in rpm and when it reaches 60c then it kicks the fans to 65% of 2100rpm approx 1360 rpm.
And if temps go above 74c then 80% approx 1680rpm. of 2100rpm.

And as Phaaze just mentioned these settings are very comfortable on hers ears.
It also keeps the fans from jumping up and down in rpm just because you move the mouse or open a browser or program.
If you don't set a fan curve you will most likely hear the fans going from quite to loud reacting to the cpu temp which ryzen is very sensitive to.

Yes Ai Suite 3 / Armoury Crate can
control the fans via windows.
It is pretty much the same procedure starting with the fan optimization and then your set points.

And your case fans speeds can also be set either way bios q fan / Armoury Crate.

I don't run either 1 of those and choose to control from bios.

Reactions: Phaaze88