[SOLVED] Is this cooling enough for Ryzen 5 5600x, asus x570e and RTX 3070 build?

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
A cooler master h500 case (no additional fans just the base ones out of the box) and Arctic freeze 34 esports duo

Last edited:
Solution
Hi
If you set up the case fans the way Hellfire13 and Phaaze88 have suggested, I think the Arctic Esports 34 duo will do a great job.
I have 1 on my wife's 2600x in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case currently with a
gtx 960 4gb And about to install my old 1070 ti so I may be adding a second fan up top if hers temps change.
Currently have 2x120mm front, 1x140mm top rear, 1x120mm rear in a 22-24c ambient temp room.
The 2600x runs 26-30c idle,
On a Aida64 Extreme Fpu test it tops out @74c with a cpu fan curve set @
40c-45%
60c-65%
75c-80%
The cooler was purchased to be a back up which was needed when the corsair h100iv2 240mm that was on the 2600x needed to be Rma'd and has Exceeded my Expectations.

As Phaaze88 has said Old School Overclocking...
The 34 esports should be just about enough for stock operations, dont expect to OC on that. That case comes with 2 front and 1 back fans installed which should be enough for starters depending on the ambient. You can install additional fans if you see high temps.
Note, the above is true for casual usage. If you are a hardcore gamer or there is high load for extended period on that machine, you might need more fans.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
The 34 esports should be just about enough for stock operations, dont expect to OC on that. That case comes with 2 front and 1 back fans installed which should be enough for starters depending on the ambient. You can install additional fans if you see high temps.
Note, the above is true for casual usage. If you are a hardcore gamer or there is high load for extended period on that machine, you might need more fans.
How many fans total can be added to this case and how many do I need if I want to OC?

How many fans total can be added to this case and how many do I need if I want to OC?
PRE-INSTALLED FANS - FRONT2x 200mm RGB Fan
PRE-INSTALLED FANS - REAR1x 120mm (Black)

FAN SUPPORT - TOP2x 120mm, 2x 140mm, 1x 200mm
FAN SUPPORT - FRONT3x 120mm, 2x 140mm, 2x 200mm
FAN SUPPORT - REAR1x 120mm

For OC, the more fan you have the better, but more importantly you need balanced air pressure. Front as intake and the rest as exhaust.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
PRE-INSTALLED FANS - FRONT2x 200mm RGB Fan
PRE-INSTALLED FANS - REAR1x 120mm (Black)

FAN SUPPORT - TOP2x 120mm, 2x 140mm, 1x 200mm
FAN SUPPORT - FRONT3x 120mm, 2x 140mm, 2x 200mm
FAN SUPPORT - REAR1x 120mm

For OC, the more fan you have the better, but more importantly you need balanced air pressure. Front as intake and the rest as exhaust.
Wait. Can the front of my case support that many fans? Those are 3x 120mm, 2x 140mm and 2x 200mm in addition to the already pre installed 2x 200mm? As in a grand total of 9 fans in the front?

Also, why so few in the back? Only 1 more in addition to the pre installed one?

Wow, is that all I need for overclocking? The three preinstalled ones in my case, the arctic freeze and one more on the top of my case?

Can I add one more since my case supports 2x 140mm or 120mm so why not eh?
If you add 2 fans at the top, you need to add the 3rd fan in the front to balance the airflow. That cooler is not for hardcore overclocking. You can maybe achieve a mild overclock with the added case fans.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
Your case supports 3x120mm fans in front, 2x120mm on top. Read the specifications again and try to understand them.
I was talking about two front 200mm. I can't install any more there with those two present no? So If I want to keep those two 200mm in front then which 1x should i install at top? 200, 140, 120?

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
Ohh I see. My bad. Then you add 2 fans on top and it should be good.
Wait, wait. Now I am confused. I thought you said two at top wouldn't be best for airflow balance if the front of the case has only two fans, and that if I do add two at top then i need to add a third in the front for good balance however, with two 200mm fans already at the front of my case, I can't add a third. So shouldn't I add only one on top?

Actually, let's start over from the top. Cooler master h500. Out of the box 2x 200mm fans in front and 1x 120mm fan at back pre installed. How many more fans do I need to add to the top of the case to support overclocking and what should be the size or mm or radius of that added fan?

Wait, wait. Now I am confused. I thought you said two at top wouldn't be best for airflow balance if the front of the case has only two fans, and that if I do add two at top then i need to add a third in the front for good balance however, with two 200mm fans already at the front of my case, I can't add a third. So shouldn't I add only one on top?

Actually, let's start over from the top. Cooler master h500. Out of the box 2x 200mm fans in front and 1x 120mm fan at back pre installed. How many more fans do I need to add to the top of the case to support overclocking and what should be the size or mm or radius of that added fan?
Yeah my bad. I read that as 2x120mm fans in front. Thats why I said 2 fans at top would need a 3rd 120mm fan in front. Since you already have bigger 200mm fans in front you will need 2x120mm or 2x140mm fans on top to balance the airflow.
Hope this clears it out. Sorry for the confusion.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
Yeah my bad. I read that as 2x120mm fans in front. Thats why I said 2 fans at top would need a 3rd 120mm fan in front. Since you already have bigger 200mm fans in front you will need 2x120mm or 2x140mm fans on top to balance the airflow.
Hope this clears it out. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem. I am not great at communicating things.
I have one slight issue with the setup you just proposed. I understand the setup you proposed. 2 default big ones in front, 2 added small ones at top and one small default one at rear. All slots covered. Total fans 5. Great. BUT wouldn't the front of the top two fans be positioned in such a way that it would decrease the air going into the my cpu cooler arctic freeze? Wouldn't a single top fan 140mm towards the back be better instead of two? This way I have two big ones at front for intake, 1x 120mm exhaust at rear and 1x 140mm exhaust at top back and my cpu cooler doesn't get choked.

No problem. I am not great at communicating things.
I have one slight issue with the setup you just proposed. I understand the setup you proposed. 2 default big ones in front, 2 added small ones at top and one small default one at rear. All slots covered. Total fans 5. Great. BUT wouldn't the front of the top two fans be positioned in such a way that it would decrease the air going into the my cpu cooler arctic freeze? Wouldn't a single top fan 140mm towards the back be better instead of two? This way I have two big ones at front for intake, 1x 120mm exhaust at rear and 1x 140mm exhaust at top back and my cpu cooler doesn't get choked.
Assuming you use 1x140mm at top as exhaust, that might create downdraft from the unused slot at the top negating the exhaust function of the other. If your cooler is facing the rear of the case, the front intake will create positive pressure through the cooler and exhaust though the top and rear. You do not have any unused slot in front as those fans are big enough.
You can start by installing a single fan and then add another based on temps.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
Assuming you use 1x140mm at top as exhaust, that might create downdraft from the unused slot at the top negating the exhaust function of the other. If your cooler is facing the rear of the case, the front intake will create positive pressure through the cooler and exhaust though the top and rear. You do not have any unused slot in front as those fans are big enough.
You can start by installing a single fan and then add another based on temps.
Airflow physics. My head 🤯
Ok. I understand the downdraft created by the unused slot at top front. But how does filling that slot with a fan not choke my cpu cooler? Are you saying the front fans are big enough to feed enough air that the smaller top front fan won't be able to steal enough to choke my cpu cooler?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think some things are being 'over-thought' by the OP, so I'm going to chime in some more.

A)Cooler Master H500: So it has preinstalled two 200mm in the front.
Leave it as it is if you want to prioritize cpu cooling.
If you want to prioritize gpu cooling, add 2x 140mm top exhaust. FYI, doing a single top exhaust isn't that effective, as it fights with the rear exhaust, so you have to do 2 or more.
Both cpu and gpu turbo boost algorithms are tied to power consumption and thermals: you have to pick your poison here which fan setup you want to do...
Though, seeing as the 3070 has far higher power consumption, the tradeoff to cpu cooling by doing 2x 140mm exhaust should be far outweighed by getting the gpu's waste heat out more effectively.

Also, trying to cram more air in than the PC can exhaust will always be inferior(cooling) to doing the opposite. The dust argument is on you though - just organize a schedule.
At least, don't go a year or more without cleaning it out.

B)5600X.
Seriously. This thing is ridiculously good on how little power it uses compared to the Intel alternatives and even the other Ryzen 5000s.
That cooler shouldn't sweat at all on a 5600X. Unfortunately for you, OC'ing is more or less dead: Ryzen's boost algorithm does most of the OC'ing for you.
All you have to do is keep it cool(which that cooler shouldn't have a problem with), and use fast ram with low timings. Dual channel, 3600 CL 16 is still one of the best kits for Ryzen 5000 in price to performance.

C)3070.
Overclocking also died on Nvidia gpus since the 10 series. That's when their Gpu Boost algorithm was introduced.
Gpu Boost will make its own adjustments based on the gpu's parameters, and will ignore any custom settings if it's not comfortable with where said parameters end up in operation.
There's no way to know if an overclock on these gpus are stable when you can't keep the frequency static in all scenarios.
Similar advice applies here like with the 5600x: just keep it cool as you can.

Reactions: Hellfire13

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
@Hellfire13 two 140mm at top is all the addition I need?

@Phaaze88 same advice by you yes? 2x 140mm at top along with the case stock fans and the arctic cpu cooler? Plus, you said that no need for OC because both the gpu and cpu auto control their OC which is better?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Phaaze88 same advice by you yes? 2x 140mm at top along with the case stock fans and the arctic cpu cooler? Plus, you said that no need for OC because both the gpu and cpu auto control their OC which is better?
Here and there, yes. Overclocking isn't what it used to be now that cpus and gpu do most of it for you on their own. Gone are the days of big 40%(or some other big number) OC's.

Which what is better?

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2