[SOLVED] Is this CPU better?

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Friend said I can have his CPU as he’s upgrading, he has an i5 8400 and I have an i5 6500

will his CPU fit in my PC? And is it better than mine at the moment?

I have a Gigabyte Technology G1 Sniper B7-CF (U3E1) Motherboard.

specs: https://prnt.sc/qw3ckz

Solution
It is best practice to re-install Windows when switching out motherboards. That way you start fresh with drivers and get rid of any motherboard specific software that might cause a problem with a new board.

You may be able to get away with swapping the motherboard and CPU. Intel hasn't changed too much between 6th and 8th gen and the OS should have chipset drivers to get you started. Then you would just have to install the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website. You could also pre-emptively uninstall all motherboard drivers and then shut down the computer, swap the parts, and turn it back on.

If you are going to attempt that, you should back up the whole drive with an imaging tool like Macrium Reflect. You will...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
No, that CPU wont fit in your motherboard.
Different socket.
Well physically it's the same socket, but you know, Intel's neverending greed forced all manufacturers to firmware lock mobos so they're not compatible with newer chips and made up the greater power consumption excuse which literally makes no sense since 8th gen chips are more efficient than 6th gen's but well, that's how it is...

Reactions: Dj0gany

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Most Nikon lenses since 1959 will work with the good DSLR's. I don't see why they can't make a large socket, and at least make CPU's upgradable for 5 years. I guess you have to get BIOS updates and that is buy in from the makers of the motherboards, which require humans to program bios updates.

However with mid range boards costing 250-300 dollars, come on. They should give us 4 years of support. I think people would upgrade CPU mores. Nobody likes buying a new board every time you get a CPU.

Well physically it's the same socket, but you know, Intel's neverending greed forced all manufacturers to firmware lock mobos so they're not compatible with newer chips and made up the greater power consumption excuse which literally makes no sense since 8th gen chips are more efficient than 6th gen's but well, that's how it is...
Well there’s more efficient and ramping up the power on a more efficient process for more gains like what nvidia did for the 3000 series. The 11900K is more efficient than the 9000 series but holy hell it uses more power.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Well there’s more efficient and ramping up the power on a more efficient process for more gains like what nvidia did for the 3000 series. The 11900K is more efficient than the 9000 series but holy hell it uses more power.
They just keep overclocking them for the lulz, some modders made the 8th gen chips work with a Z170 board by shorting a sensor and ground pins, of course those old boards won't be able to keep up with let's say a 9900K because of its ridiculous power consumption.
It looks cool as an experiment or for benchmarking but that's it, doubt it'll work for daily usage

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
However with mid range boards costing 250-300 dollars, come on. They should give us 4 years of support. I think people would upgrade CPU mores. Nobody likes buying a new board every time you get a CPU.
AMD tried this with the AM4 socket. Microcode updates and debugging get increasingly more difficult.
I'd not be surprised if AM5 is 2 generations long.

Reactions: Makaveli

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
AMD tried this with the AM4 socket. Microcode updates and debugging get increasingly more difficult.
I'd not be surprised if AM5 is 2 generations long.
AM5 most likely won't be next, maybe a AM4+ or continuing AM4 because it going strong. Also the AM5 socket shouldn't last 2 generations. AMD is known for longevity.

Makaveli

Splendid
AM5 most likely won't be next, maybe a AM4+ or continuing AM4 because it going strong. Also the AM5 socket shouldn't last 2 generations. AMD is known for longevity.

Nope.

DDR5 is next and it will be on AM5.

And I think you missed the point of his post. AMD said it was alot of work to keep the AM4 socket going through so many cpu's. They may not do the same for AM5.

Last edited:
They just keep overclocking them for the lulz, some modders made the 8th gen chips work with a Z170 board by shorting a sensor and ground pins, of course those old boards won't be able to keep up with let's say a 9900K because of its ridiculous power consumption.
It looks cool as an experiment or for benchmarking but that's it, doubt it'll work for daily usage
Have you seen the 11900K uses 300W peak when you enable MC enhancement in BIOS?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So if I was to update and get a motherboard which fits that CPU in, would the CPU be better than my current 6500?

Yes, it would be better. Going from 4 cores to 6.

Not really sure that is worth the hassle to go from one dead socket to another. If you spend money on a 300 series motherboard, there won't be any upgrading beyond the 9th gen chips. That does include up to the 8 core 9900k though (And you would have to get an expensive motherboard to properly support that)

Just depends what your future spending habits are.

Reactions: Phaaze88

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Yes, it would be better. Going from 4 cores to 6.

Not really sure that is worth the hassle to go from one dead socket to another. If you spend money on a 300 series motherboard, there won't be any upgrading beyond the 9th gen chips. That does include up to the 8 core 9900k though (And you would have to get an expensive motherboard to properly support that)

Just depends what your future spending habits are.
Well my mates just got an i9 and has had to update his motherboard, so he would probably be giving me his CPU and the motherboard, so I wouldn’t technically be buying a motherboard just to put his CPU in, I have a 1070, my CPU is rather outdated compared to the 1070 so I’m not quite sure what to upgrade to In the future.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In that case, go for it.

Your CPU isn't that far behind the 10 series, would have been quite normal for people with 6th chips to buy one. A faster CPU will certainly help in some games, but any that are already maxing out your 1070 are going to stay mostly the same.

Reactions: Dj0gany

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
In that case, go for it.

Your CPU isn't that far behind the 10 series, would have been quite normal for people with 6th chips to buy one. A faster CPU will certainly help in some games, but any that are already maxing out your 1070 are going to stay mostly the same.
It’s mainly on games where my CPU maybe needed more than my GPU, and I feel like my CPU throttles it if that game is CPU dependant. So if I was getting my mates motherboard and CPU you would say it’s worth the change from my current cpu and motherboard?

Well my mates just got an i9 and has had to update his motherboard, so he would probably be giving me his CPU and the motherboard, so I wouldn’t technically be buying a motherboard just to put his CPU in, I have a 1070, my CPU is rather outdated compared to the 1070 so I’m not quite sure what to upgrade to In the future.

If it's free and it gets you more performance then why not do it ? Just don't forget about needing to update your Windows install.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is best practice to re-install Windows when switching out motherboards. That way you start fresh with drivers and get rid of any motherboard specific software that might cause a problem with a new board.

You may be able to get away with swapping the motherboard and CPU. Intel hasn't changed too much between 6th and 8th gen and the OS should have chipset drivers to get you started. Then you would just have to install the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website. You could also pre-emptively uninstall all motherboard drivers and then shut down the computer, swap the parts, and turn it back on.

If you are going to attempt that, you should back up the whole drive with an imaging tool like Macrium Reflect. You will need another drive roughly the size of your current one to do this.

If you are wondering why an i5-6500 is more expensive than an i5-8400, they don't make either anymore. So the prices are whatever is left and are available for people to upgrade older machines or replace failed parts. Though Intel chips for retail sale tend to stick around their release price. Second number there is important, 5 is bigger than 4, so effectively the 6500 was a more expensive chip to begin with. i5-8400 is just newer and faster compared to it. So despite being cheaper is faster.

Late model i3 are faster than both of them, and cheaper still.

Solution