[SOLVED] Is this CPU temperature considered high?

Dec 22, 2021
I build this PC about 1 year ago and still a beginner in this. So far there wasn't much issues, however my PC slowed down during gaming last night so much that I quit the game to find out why.
PC then shutdowns by itself.
I powered it back on and it says cpu overheat error.
Went in to bios and saw that is says 102degreesC! So I opened up my rig and put my hand in, it was THAT hot, probably 70 80s.
This morning I pull out my auraflow x240 cooler and reapply thermal paste. Cleaned up the dust of the fans and wipe them all clean.
Powered back on and it still says cpu temperature is 67 to 70 in BIOS. Isn't this a little too high?
I would that think the normal temperature should be around 40 50s at idle.

22 Dec evening
  • PC auto shutdown, probably high temperature trip.
  • Checked in BIOS and it says 102 DegC
23 Dec
  • Had updated all drivers and flashed latest bios
  • Windows updated to latest
  • Cleaned PC fans off dust
  • Re-applied Thermal Paste
  • Checked in Bios and it says 67-70 degC
  • Loaded into windows and checked with motherboard Utility tool "AI Suite" and its reading 60 degC
  • Tried gaming again and during game it shoots up to 83-84 degC but no shutdown and lags this time.
  • Exit game and return to idle mode, temperature remains around 70 degC

Is this normal?

Appreciate any form of assistance on this!

Last edited:
Solution
... however if a "hose up" config leaves an air pocket in the path that is a problem
crazy idea I got I think from Jays2Cents...maybe steve at GamersNexus. After setting it up pick up your system and hold it with one tank above the pump, let it run a bit (in BIOS so nothing running). I even shake it a little bit...carefully! That's always broken any bubble locks from the pump or hoses and pushes all the air to the top most tank. Most people don't move their system around to bring bubbles back to the pump but if you do simply repeat it before setting down. It's not that hard, but then I've got a nice compact mATX case :)

Once the air bubble's in the top most tank it will simply stay there. And an AIO needs the air bubble as it...
102 degrees C...
auraflow x240
considering that it idles without crashing could mean that you may have some blockage in the tubing or pump.
you can try removing the pump & radiator and maneuvering it about and flexing the tubes to try and dislodge any possible bubbles.

but hitting anywhere near 100°C could also mean a dead pump.
though this would normally lead to high enough CPU temperature that you would get a warning on the POST screen during boot.
normal idle temperature with a higher-end CPU and a decent 240mm AIO should be ~35°C as long as you're not using abnormally high CPU voltages and have good case airflow.

but ID-Cooling is a rather low quality manufacturer usually with fairly low ratings and quite a few negative reviews for their products so you may just be experiencing the downside of going the cheap route for PC hardware.

normal "idle" temps vary dependent on your ambient temps. and your fan curve,
if you have an ECO or Silent setting selected it could let the fans kick in at higher temps. 85'C with no ill effects is fine as far as temps at load which is what really matters.

I build this PC about 1 year ago and still a beginner in this. So far there wasn't much issues, however my PC slowed down during gaming last night so much that I quit the game to find out why.
Went in to bios and saw that is says 102degreesC! So I opened up my rig and put my hand in, it was THAT hot, probably 70 80s.
This morning I pull out my auraflow x240 cooler and reapply thermal paste. Cleaned up the dust of the fans and wipe them all clean.
Powered back on and it still says cpu temperature is 67 to 70 in BIOS. Isn't this a little too high?

22 Dec evening
23 Dec
  • Loaded into windows and checked with motherboard Utility tool "AI Suite" and its reading 60 degC
  • Tried gaming again and during game it shoots up to 83-84 degC but no shutdown and lags this time.
Is this normal?

22 Dec evening
23 Dec
Is this normal?

Don't know the CPU but 102C is too hot for just about anything out there, even in BIOS with no OS power management running.

No. 1 problem with most AIO cooler installs by a novice is not making sure the pump is on 100%, or +12V, all the time. Do that even if it means connecting to a SATA drive power cable using an adapter. The No. 2 mistake is mounting the entire radiator above the water block/pump; but that won't lead to overheating this bad.

Also, double check that the pump is properly mounted in the mounting plate and that the fasteners are evenly tightened all around. It can get a bit twisted in that older style Asetek mount ID uses and even one loose fastener can lead to uneven pressure on the CPU, with poor heat transfer resulting. You have to tighten cross-wise, a bit at a time, until each screw or nut is fully seated.

Once it's installed and set up right that ID Cooling AIO will cool most anything effectively enough. It shouldn't run more than a few degrees warmer than even the best ones, although the pump will probably be a bit noisier. I've a 120mm version of it an it cools my PBO'd 3700X way more effectively than I ever thought it would. Even after folding at home for two or three days solid the CPU's temp never exceeds upper 70's.

Last edited:
... however if a "hose up" config leaves an air pocket in the path that is a problem
crazy idea I got I think from Jays2Cents...maybe steve at GamersNexus. After setting it up pick up your system and hold it with one tank above the pump, let it run a bit (in BIOS so nothing running). I even shake it a little bit...carefully! That's always broken any bubble locks from the pump or hoses and pushes all the air to the top most tank. Most people don't move their system around to bring bubbles back to the pump but if you do simply repeat it before setting down. It's not that hard, but then I've got a nice compact mATX case :)

Once the air bubble's in the top most tank it will simply stay there. And an AIO needs the air bubble as it shrinks as the water in it heats up and expands, then expands as the water cools down and shrinks. With constant cycling of temp and water expansion it would force a leak eventually with no air bubble.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 22, 2021

Once the air bubble's in the top most tank it will simply stay there. And an AIO needs the air bubble as it shrinks as the water in it heats up and expands, then expands as the water cools down and shrinks. With constant cycling of temp and water expansion it would force a leak eventually with no air bubble.

LOL crazy but I tried it and it works!
Now it seems the idle temperature is constant at around 40-45 DegC. During gaming it hits 55 DegC and flucuates + - 2 DegC.
I supposed that is considered normal.
Thanks guys!

actually you don't want air in the pump! it causes the annoying cavitation noise rookies complain about, also the air means you're moving less water.
and if you worry about water expanding under heat - air being a gas easily surpasses that

actually you don't want air in the pump! it causes the annoying cavitation noise rookies complain about, also the air means you're moving less water.
and if you worry about water expanding under heat - air being a gas easily surpasses that
I think you misunderstood...the idea of that maneuver is to coax air bubbles out of both pump and hoses into the top tank of the radiator...which should of course be mounted such that one tank is above the pump.

The air may want to expand but it will readily compress in a closed system while water isn't compressible. While you're right it means less water volume to absorb heat a small bubble of air is essential to help prevent leakage. That shouldn't have any impact on cooling.

Last edited: