[SOLVED] Is this damaged RAM, or something else?

Bruhmis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Greetings,

My windows 10 system has suddenly started having strange problems in the last 2 weeks or so, and they appear to be consistent with damaged ram. The symptoms include two instances of BSOD, google chrome freezing and locking up my entire PC on several times, and just today I turned my computer on and got a Java error from Discord's failed attempt to launch (uncaught exception: can't find module). However, discord was able to open normally after I launched it manually.

I had a power outage last month which did appear to cause a significant surge - my AV receiver seemed to be fried until it miraculously came back to life later that day. So it does all appear to be consistent with damaged RAM, however Memtest86 reported zero errors, and apart from these handful of incidents, my ram appears to be functioning fine even during very RAM intensive operations. I am wondering if this could also be motherboard damage? It seems like my problems would be more severe if that were the case, but I don't know much about it. There is also the fact that these problems didn't begin to appear until at least 2 weeks after the power surge, so I guess it could be software related too.

Any input is appreciated.

Solution
Greetings,

My windows 10 system has suddenly started having strange problems in the last 2 weeks or so, and they appear to be consistent with damaged ram. The symptoms include two instances of BSOD, google chrome freezing and locking up my entire PC on several times, and just today I turned my computer on and got a Java error from Discord's failed attempt to launch (uncaught exception: can't find module). However, discord was able to open normally after I launched it manually.

I had a power outage last month which did appear to cause a significant surge - my AV receiver seemed to be fried until it miraculously came back to life later that day. So it does all appear to be consistent with damaged RAM, however Memtest86 reported...
Greetings,

I had a power outage last month which did appear to cause a significant surge - my AV receiver seemed to be fried until it miraculously came back to life later that day. So it does all appear to be consistent with damaged RAM, however Memtest86 reported zero errors, and apart from these handful of incidents, my ram appears to be functioning fine even during very RAM intensive operations. I am wondering if this could also be motherboard damage? It seems like my problems would be more severe if that were the case, but I don't know much about it. There is also the fact that these problems didn't begin to appear until at least 2 weeks after the power surge, so I guess it could be software related too.

Any input is appreciated.
Most likely your Windows at fault, Total memory also includes virtual memory on disk and if that's corrupted can also show as RAM fault. Memtest86 doesn't include that.
Give https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-memtest64/ it also includes testing in windows itself.

Solution