Question Is this dangerous? VGA power beneath GPU heatpipes.

contagioussheep17

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi,

Is it dangerous to have my graphics card power cables routed inside the shroud, underneath the copper headpipes? I just did this now to improve the look and I think it looks pretty clean, but is it dangerous? I know (hope) the cables won't melt but will it push the electrical impedance up very far?

Specs:

i5 8400

Palit Jetstream GTX 1080

Be Quiet Straight Power 10 500W

(Before someone mentions it in an answer, I know a dark rock pro 4 is massive overkill for my cpu but I'm planning to upgrade at some point, in case you're curious, temps are between 46-49 under stress testing with -0.123 voltage offset.)

contagioussheep17

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
I would attach photos, but I don't know how, sorry. If anyone actually needs them, then please leave a way in which I can send them e.g. a website, email address etc

contagioussheep17

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
What GPU do you have (make & model)

I would avoid letting the PSU cables touching the heatpipes themselves. They get very hot. Probably not a big deal if the cables are touching the heatsink fins though.
Palit Jetstream GTX 1080. The cables touch the heatpipes where they exit the farthest heatsink from the GPU itself.

After seeing it, I cautiously agree. Since the PSU wires are sheathed, the actual wires are better protected.

It's pretty easy to test. Run a continuous GPU stress test for a few hours and periodically inspect the sheathing. Melt or not, you'll have your answer.

contagioussheep17

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
After seeing it, I cautiously agree. Since the PSU wires are sheathed, the actual wires are better protected.

It's pretty easy to test. Run a continuous GPU stress test for a few hours and periodically inspect the sheathing. Melt or not, you'll have your answer.
That's what I've been doing today, all seems good. I have my gtx 1080 oc'd to 2.05ghz core clock with a bit of undervolting. The GPU only reaches 73° under full system stressing. The heatpipes will be cooler than that, plus they're only in contact with cables at their very tips, so it should be fine. I will be keeping an eye out for any melting though, and I'll post it on here if there is.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS