Is this Drive Setup OK or can it be improved?

optional

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Guys

I'm getting a new PC for gaming, game recording, editing and streaming and have the following plans for the drives.

If any of you have any better ideas of separation or think it's overkill, please let me know :)

Current Setup:

1st Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Used for OS only.

2nd Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Used to only install recording and rendering software and maybe basic Office

3rd Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Used only to install STEAM, Steam games and standalone Games on

4th Hard Disk
4TB WD CAVIAR BLACK
Used to record gameplay to and point OBS to for streaming as well as rendering output

Any ideas, help or confirmation would be appreciated :)

optional

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

The only reason I was going to separate OS from Rendering software was that I read that apparently rendering software uses something called swap or scratch space...not sure exactly how it called but its for temporary files during rendering and if they are not on the OS drive it can speed up the rendering.

However, I don't know if that is true or if there is a benefit.
I do have 32GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury DDR4 2400Mhz RAM so maybe I don't need the second SSD.

What do you think?

That is possibly true for HDDs, but SSDs have no issue handling multiple read & write requests from multiple sources simultaneously. It's their main benefit over HDDs.

If you're really committed to flash storage, go with your current setup but just use a single 500GB SSD rather than your two separate 250s.

You could also dedicate 60GB of your game drive as an Intel RST cache on the HDD too. That'd give you a good speed boost on your HDD.