[SOLVED] Is this enough for a dedicated streaming pc?

Jun 9, 2021
My old desktop just died, and I thought that might be a sign that I should upgrade. I'd like something that allows me to stream PS5 and Retro games on Twitch.

Is an i5 9400f with a GTX 1650 4 GB enough for this, or do I need something better than that? I keep seeing things about how a Ryzen might be better for streaming, but I'm not sure if anything changes since this system would be dedicated to streaming and not for gaming. I've looked at benchmarks comparing various Ryzen's in the same price range to the 9400f and the 9400f tends to score better, but I'm not knowledgable enough to know if that's actually true, or if it matters to my situation.

For reference, I currently stream from my laptop (i7-8750h, GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5) with no issues. I'd prefer a desktop because I don't turn that off, and I wouldn't have to mess with things in OBS every time I plug in the mic or the capture card on my laptop, they could just stay plugged in.

Last edited:
Solution
Go with a CPU that is not an F model and you can skip the GPU, the iGPU is more than capable to transcode to h.264 for even 4k@60FPS in real time.
Some capture cards also have hardware accelerated encoding so look into that as well.

You also don't need much ram in that system unless you plan to game on it as well, or if you will edit your videos in that case ram is a good thing.
Go with a CPU that is not an F model and you can skip the GPU, the iGPU is more than capable to transcode to h.264 for even 4k@60FPS in real time.
Some capture cards also have hardware accelerated encoding so look into that as well.

You also don't need much ram in that system unless you plan to game on it as well, or if you will edit your videos in that case ram is a good thing.

Solution