Question Is this enough to run an game of Ark AND a private server?

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
Ok,

So a little backstory. My old Ark Server machine seems to have died. It had 8GB of ram and an i3-2120 3.3GHz the server ran fine, a few hiccups due to some settings I went and overpowered. (high drop rates etc, which I toned down. The server was an old dell optiplex 7010 Ultra Small Form Factor system.

My older gaming laptop has an i7-4710 2.5GHz, 28GB ram. This is an MSI GT72 Dominator Pro with a GTX 980M 8GB gpu.

Now, I do have a new gaming laptop I would be playing on mostly, but for the times I may not be able to utilize the new laptop would this older one play AND host the game at the same time? I've never tried this before, always had a machine to do the serving, but now I don't have that.

I know, I know. Why not just use it as a dedicated server and be done with it. And I would. If it wasn't for 2 things. 1) the gtx 980m 8gb gpu in the old laptop is STILL good for gaming. and 2) my living arrangement which I won't go into details.

So ultimately, Can the laptop handle both of these tasks without too much issue? I expect some frame drops as it has to handle running 2 instances of the game (client and server) but hoping it's not TOO much for it.

Ark Survival Evolved minimum requirements:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
    • DirectX: Version 10
    • Storage: 60 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: Requires broadband internet connection for multiplayer
Server won't require the gpu I know.

I'm just in uncharted territory here. So any advice, suggestions etc would be helpful. Even if it turns into a just use the machine as a dedicated server as it isn't worth the performance hit on either/or. I would rather try to keep everything the way it's setup now due to space constraints and such, but if not, I guess it is what it is.

Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS