Question Is this ESD damage?

Aug 20, 2021
Hi all,

I have a laptop which was dropped by someone and the screen had become damaged. I ordered a replacement, disconnected the old display panel (here is where the nightmare begins) and I accidentally nudge the power button on the laptop (it's one of those buttons that look like a regular key) and my heart sank - I realised I forgot to disconnect the battery! :eek: Power LED comes on, so making sure I didn't touch any of the components, held down the power button until it switched off.

I then disconnected the battery and installed the new display panel - hooked it all back up and guess what? Nothing.

I'm assuming this is ESD damage? I didn't hear / see anything that might suggest this is the cause, but I know you can't always tell. I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation - to put my mind at rest.

Side note: The laptop is under warranty (however it was brought to me as screen damage is not covered) - Have I well and truly FUBAR'd the laptop? And would there be any way of getting it fixed under warranty?

Thank you for your time.

Aug 22, 2021
You have fried either the CPU, or GPU.... There is a great chance to achieve it when disconnecting/connecting screen. The screen cable is powered even when the laptop is switched off, that's why the battery must be removed.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw