Is This Even Fair? Budget Ivy Bridge Takes On Core 2 Duo And Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelwing

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Very nice review! I've got a C2D E6600 (2.4 GHz) and had been considering the Core i5-3570K (or possibly wait for a Haswell i5) and was wondering about the performance differences. My CPU is still good for a lot of apps, but I can definitely see a reason to upgrade.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Excellent article, I'm glad I have a more accurate idea on where I stand based on CPU performance, I'm still using my trusty Q6600, G0 @ 3.2ghz. Its good that Tom's still hasn't forgotten that a lot of enthusiast still are rocking Core 2 architecture lol. I think I can manage until Intel releases their next revolutionary CPU.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I been wanting to see one of these for a long time but never thought I get to see it. I just wish they had the good ol e2160, and q6600 thrown into the mix. I have the e2180 OC to 3ghz. It's still chugging along surprisingly enough, I just realized how old the thing was last night after thinking about how long I've had this build and looking up when the main components were produced. Safe to say I got my use out of that $70 cpu, did a 50% OC to it :) and it still had room to go but I wanted to keep the voltage very low.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I've always been curious about how well my own Core 2 Duo P8800 (45nm & 2.66GHz) would stand up against modern ivy bridge offerings. And even though I'm talking about he mobile space, I'm guessing the gains would be comparable to those seen by their desktop counterparts. Each day I'm reminded more and more that I seriously need to move on to a newer system, especially since I work with a lot of media production software. Thanks for the article, it provided some interesting and useful insight.

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Wow. This article could have popped up at a better time. Was considering upgrading my ageing E6600 for a higher end supported processor. Was thinking of getting a core 2 extreme QX6800 off ebay for around 130ish. I looked on cpu benchmark and it really isn't that much faster than the Pentium in this article. That is insance considering that cpu cost aroun 1k on release. I am now reconsidering and just holding off on extending my lga775's lifespan and just replacing it with a new platform in the near future.

I find it shocking that my E6600(which I still hold in high regard, is far far worse than a 50 dollar Celeron. My mind is blown.

Old processors still have some kick in them. Q9000, Q6600, E8600, Athlon II X4, Phenom II's all still have enough grunt in them to game a little while yet, the quads should be fine for another year or two.

Matsushima

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
If you're happy with the performance level that your 5-year-old dualcore gives, there's no need to upgrade or build a new system. I'm happy with this 4-year-old dualcore right now and my Pentium 4 Northwood SINGLE CORE was more than enough for web browsing and some YouTube videos but all that's left now of it is the processor. I miss that boring beige case.

That said, today's quads have a more efficient and better architecture than those of yesteryear, and the 3570K is a popular choice for enthusiasts.

basically, this is saying that the P4m architecture which lead to the core2duo and by extension then the core i series was the pinnacle of cpu innovation.

intel made all their leaps forward with this architecture, and killed AMD in the process. And has never really moved past it... 6 years on and it still stands toe to toe with the latest and greatest.

I'm not that surprised really.

G

[citation][nom]Steelwing[/nom]Very nice review! I've got a C2D E6600 (2.4 GHz) and had been considering the Core i5-3570K (or possibly wait for a Haswell i5) and was wondering about the performance differences. My CPU is still good for a lot of apps, but I can definitely see a reason to upgrade.[/citation]
i have both and the 3570k is significantly faster than an e6600, i always had problems with the e6600 not being fast enough for my taste, its a night and day difference between the 2

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Average frame rate data and frame rate over time, but no analysis of frame time variance? Its a good article and my rig probably falls in line with the E8400 at stock, but come on Tom's, you have all the data from FRAPS right there. You can do better than this.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Neat article. I enjoyed reading it, and I'm sure there are a lot of folks thinking about upgrading that valued the information even more than I do.

JJ1217

Honorable
My old E8400 is still standing strong in my fathers rig. Never hiccuped, although he always complains about how slow his computer is because he still uses an IDE drive..

fteoOpty646

Honorable
May 6, 2013
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Excellent article, I'm glad I have a more accurate idea on where I stand based on CPU performance, I'm still using my trusty Q6600, G0 @ 3.2ghz.[/citation]

My Q6600 is down clocked to 1.5Ghz to save power and noise/temperature running Ubuntu 12.10. It feels as fast as any modern PC running web stuff and playing videos. In the old Windows days, it was clocked to 3Ghz to get some kick. Still kicking nicely after all these years in a Fatality board with GigE blown off by lightning spike, so using a Wifi module to a home NAS. The board has survived 3 power-supply failures!.

Status
Not open for further replies.