Is this even possible?

Drewster2016

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hi all I have a situation that I was wondering if it's even possible
My current computer I have a desktop running Windows 10 on 1 hard drive would it be possible to add another hard drive BUT also run Windows 10 on that, so basically 2 different computers in one, like dual boot to pick which one? Reason is I want to have a separate hdd just for gaming so it will only have games and related stuff and my other one my everyday stuff so I don't slow either down,
Thanks I tried to explain the best I could

Solution
I dual install Windows on every PC build we do, never bought a 2nd license. This is a typical build:

256 GB SSD w/ OS and Programs

2 TB SSHD w/ following partitions
C:\ 256 GB .. essentially a mirror of SSD
D:\ 64 GB Page and Temp Files
E:\ Games

The system will boot from the SSD by default as it is the lowest numbered SATA port, it that drive fails it will boot from the backup copy of the OS on the SSHD. Or you can just select the system to boot from the BIOS in the BIOS. MS has no licensing issue with having a back up alternative at all.

You could use two SSDs, two SSHDs, two SSHDs or any combination wouldn't matter.

I try RAID every couple of years, last effort, i broke the arrays as I wasn't getting any any performance or...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If you bought a second Windows 10 license sure. That said you could just disable or shut down certain startup items that may slow you down when gaming, and that will accomplish the same thing without all the complication.

There is a reason people don't do this, its not worth it.

USAFRet

Titan
Having other applications installed (games) does not affect other applications, unless you are actually running it at the same time.

2 identical OS's on the same system serves no real purpose.
You can install those games on the other drive, without an OS being on that drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
ZDp5RM0.jpg

Drewster2016

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
This issue I'm having is I want to keep it separate Becuase I have tons of games and I've had my hdd crash; lost everything, I would rather have it separate so if it happened again I wouldn't lose everything

USAFRet

Titan

So install the games on the other drive (as indicated above). That drive does not need its own OS.

RudyG87

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
USAFRet, his initial post was about keeping them seperated so they wouldn't slow down. Hence, i recommended raid0. But now, after he gave us more info, he doesn't need raid0.....
Maybe raid1

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So run Raid 1, if you don't want to do it in hardware, windows does it in software using Storage Spaces. You can run 2 hard drives mirrored. One craps out, no worries the other is still there.

And start backing up important files.

I dual install Windows on every PC build we do, never bought a 2nd license. This is a typical build:

256 GB SSD w/ OS and Programs

2 TB SSHD w/ following partitions
C:\ 256 GB .. essentially a mirror of SSD
D:\ 64 GB Page and Temp Files
E:\ Games

The system will boot from the SSD by default as it is the lowest numbered SATA port, it that drive fails it will boot from the backup copy of the OS on the SSHD. Or you can just select the system to boot from the BIOS in the BIOS. MS has no licensing issue with having a back up alternative at all.

You could use two SSDs, two SSHDs, two SSHDs or any combination wouldn't matter.

I try RAID every couple of years, last effort, i broke the arrays as I wasn't getting any any performance or other advantage whatsoever.

The box I am typing from has:

256 GB SSD w/ OS and programs
256 GB SSD w/ page files, temp files and fav Games

2 TB SSHD w/ backup OS install and all data files
2 TB SSHD w/ back up (mirror) of all data partitions and games

Notes:

1. The data files are backed up by software program on a schedule
2. There's no perceivable difference in how fast the games load off the SSD as they do off the SSD

Solution