[SOLVED] Is this fan direction bad?

Feb 5, 2021
Hello my helpful friends,

Only way I can use both fans is to place the cooler vertically.
Will the hot air from CPU harm the M.2 SDD and GPU or this is fine?
The big fat 3080 will block the air flow at bottom of the cooler.

UH2x0JZ.jpg

Solution
OHHH, I see now.
You've got the older version: http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-ib-e-extreme/
I've got the more recent Rev. B: http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-ib-e-extreme-rev-b/
The fan clips used is one of the few differences between them.
Sorry, it looks like you'll have to run with 1 fan - they didn't give the original any flexibility with those clips.

Also, I believe you need to turn the heatsink 180 degrees. You've got the 'offset end' of the cooler pointed toward the PCIe slot - it should be the exact opposite.
It's designed that way for better clearance with gpus.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In most situations, that there is a no-go.
Is that the Silver Arrow IBE Extreme, or the SBE?

If you can only orient it vertically, remove the top fan(in the image), and flip the center one, so it's exhausting out the top. You don't want that as intake and fighting with the 3080's exhaust.

IF you won't have any top exhaust chassis fans, then you can keep the top fan there - still needs to be flipped to exhaust though.

Feb 5, 2021
In most situations, that there is a no-go.
Is that the Silver Arrow IBE Extreme, or the SBE?

If you can only orient it vertically, remove the top fan(in the image), and flip the center one, so it's exhausting out the top. You don't want that as intake and fighting with the 3080's exhaust.

IF you won't have any top exhaust chassis fans, then you can keep the top fan there - still needs to be flipped to exhaust though.

Case does have an intake at the top. I can take it out though. But touldn't flipping cooler's top fan make it somewhat useless or at least, significantly reduce the overall cooling capability?

If so, I can simply go for an AIO. :(

Edit: It's IB-E Extreme.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Case does have an intake at the top. I can take it out though. But touldn't flipping cooler's top fan make it somewhat useless or at least, significantly reduce the overall cooling capability?

If so, I can simply go for an AIO. :(

Edit: It's IB-E Extreme.
Top is exhaust.

Basic airflow direction - In the front, Out the back and top.
All fans need to work together.

Feb 5, 2021
Top is exhaust.

Basic airflow direction - In the front, Out the back and top.
All fans need to work together.

So I'd flip both cooler fans and disable/flip the top case fan too. So all of them take the air upwards. But then again,

GPU would be tightly placed under the cooler so the cooler will be taking in hot air from the GPU and spread it on the m.2 and CPU itself, right? And even then, it wouldn't be able to pull in a good amount of air due to the fact that GPU is blocking the bottom, or am I wrong about these?

USAFRet

Titan
So I'd flip both cooler fans and disable/flip the top case fan too. So all of them take the air upwards. But then again,

GPU would be tightly placed under the cooler so the cooler will be taking in hot air from the GPU and spread it on the m.2 and CPU itself, right? And even then, it wouldn't be able to pull in a good amount of air due to the fact that GPU is blocking the bottom, or am I wrong about these?
What is preventing you from having the cooler and fans blow from front to back?
Right to left in your pic?

Feb 5, 2021
What is preventing you from having the cooler and fans blow from front to back?
Right to left in your pic?

If placed horizontally, the fan on the right will collide with all four ram modules and if the fan is placed on the left it collides with mobo heatsink so only the middle fan remains.

Those are 2500rpm fans on the IB-E. You really don't need any other fans over, or behind them; they'd just get in the way.

So you're suggesting to orient the cooler horizontally and the middle fan alone would be enough? CPU is 3950x.
(I really do use all 16 cores, but I don't OC).

USAFRet

Titan
If placed horizontally, the fan on the right will collide with all four ram modules and if the fan is placed on the left it collides with mobo heatsink so only the middle fan remains.

So you're suggesting to orient the cooler horizontally and the middle fan alone would be enough? CPU is 3950x.
(I really do use all 16 cores, but I don't OC).
Try it with just the one fan.

Or get a different cooler that actually fits the rest of your components.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whaaat? That's hardly a problem at all. You can:
A)Mount the cooler horizontally and simply remove the front fan - you're really not going to miss anything with it gone.
B)Mount the cooler horizontally. Take the center fan and install it behind the 2nd tower, then take the front fan and install it behind the 1st tower.

Either of those will work out better than installing the cooler vertically.

Feb 5, 2021
Whaaat? That's hardly a problem at all. You can:
A)Mount the cooler horizontally and simply remove the front fan - you're really not going to miss anything with it gone.
B)Mount the cooler horizontally. Take the center fan and install it behind the 2nd tower, then take the front fan and install it behind the 1st tower.

Either of those will work out better than installing the cooler vertically.

I don't understand your B) suggestion.

By tower are you referring to cooler fins? If so, the reason I didn't orient it horizontally was that the fan would collide with ram sticks from the front, and with mobo heatsink from the back. Or did I misunderstand you?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't understand your B) suggestion.
Just do it like the following image - minus the rear chassis fan - that really doesn't need to be there:
iu

By tower are you referring to cooler fins? If so, the reason I didn't orient it horizontally was that the fan would collide with ram sticks from the front, and with mobo heatsink from the back. Or did I misunderstand you?
1)Yes, I'm referring to the cooler's finstacks. Tower is used interchangeably.

2)That cooler was designed to allow you to 'raise' the front fan to sit over the ram, IF there was enough space in the chassis to do so.
If it's not possible, simply set it up like in the above image.

Feb 5, 2021
Just do it like the following image - minus the rear chassis fan - that really doesn't need to be there

1)Yes, I'm referring to the cooler's finstacks. Tower is used interchangeably.

2)That cooler was designed to allow you to 'raise' the front fan to sit over the ram, IF there was enough space in the chassis to do so.
If it's not possible, simply set it up like in the above image.

I did but like I said, it collides with the heatsink and leaves a tiny gap between the CPU. See:
VR0QK5D.jpg

Edit: Looked into it, found no way to raise the fans. Got any links for me?
If I can raise the front fan a little that'd be a happy ending I guess.

Edit 2: Found this on the web: https://www.enostech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Cl5.jpg
Seems like those side thingies weren't included in the box. I'm gonna contact the seller and see what happens.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
OHHH, I see now.
You've got the older version: http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-ib-e-extreme/
I've got the more recent Rev. B: http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-ib-e-extreme-rev-b/
The fan clips used is one of the few differences between them.
Sorry, it looks like you'll have to run with 1 fan - they didn't give the original any flexibility with those clips.

Also, I believe you need to turn the heatsink 180 degrees. You've got the 'offset end' of the cooler pointed toward the PCIe slot - it should be the exact opposite.
It's designed that way for better clearance with gpus.

Solution