Question Is this Full Hd 144HZ IPS monitor worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
So i love playing cs go and i am ok with it, after i upgraded my monitor from 60hz to 75hz i saw a great difference, now i wonder how good 144hz will be compared to 75hz.

Right now i have this monitor its a full hd 22inches 75hz IPS:
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-SB220Q-...9&sr=1-1-e1d37225-97ae-4506-b802-4ca5ff43ebe6

Now that i have IPS monitor i really do not want to go for TN, because i also care about nice colors and image quality, so i want something which will have at least same image quality, but will be higher HZ, I found this one on amazon and it looks quite good, what do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VG240Y-..._1_3?keywords=144hz+ips&qid=1579857299&sr=8-3

Should i go for VA or IPS? VA panels are for 30$ less, but i am willing to pay more to get better image quality.

Oct 10, 2019
yes, 144 is supreme. If you want to get a competitive edge 144hz will give you that.
the monitor you posted is good, and will give you the edge you need.

but to be honest at 1080p doesn't really matter what panel you go for, if you truly want image quality go for 1440p 144hz if your GPU can push those frames

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
yes, 144 is supreme. If you want to get a competitive edge 144hz will give you that.
the monitor you posted is good, and will give you the edge you need.

but to be honest at 1080p doesn't really matter what panel you go for, if you truly want image quality go for 1440p 144hz if your GPU can push those frames

I mean its 30$ more and i think its worth it to go for ips, my gpu is gtx 970 so 1440p is too much for my old boy :D it still gets 200+ fps in cs go and its good enough for 144hz so i really want to go for 144hz also my monitor is 22 inches and that acer is 24 inches.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
As you increase refresh rates, you get diminishing returns - and there's no research whatsoever to prove that people can reliably tell the difference between, say 100 and 120Hz, or 120 and 144Hz . . much less physically react fast enough to be able to make use of that increased speed even if they could see it.

HOWEVER - I've noticed that a lot of 144Hz monitors these days don't cost any more than their lower-speed counterparts. That said, if you want faster refresh rates at a given resolution, you also need a more powerful video card to drive those frame rates.

Unless you're, say, a professional competitive gamer, I'd stick with the monitor you have. Even the pros I doubt benefit from anything more than 100Hz. Ultra-high-speed refresh rates are a lot of hype.

Honestly, the only real reason I'd upgrade is for a larger screen. But 22 vs 23.8" isn't a huge difference.

I personally like larger monitors, and very much appreciate the extra field of view that an ultra-wide monitor gives you.

Ultimately, though, if you're happy with your current monitor, stick with it. If you're using an AMD card, you can take advantage of your monitor's FreeSync capability, to maintain smoothness if the frame rates ever dip below your max refresh rate (on your SB220Q, that's 48-75 Hz FreeSync Range).

Nvidia 10-, 16-, or 20- series cards also support FreeSync - but I think that's only with DisplayPort, not HDMI . . but I am NOT sure about that DisplayPort requirement, so don't hold me to that.

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
As you increase refresh rates, you get diminishing returns - and there's no research whatsoever to prove that people can reliably tell the difference between, say 100 and 120Hz, or 120 and 144Hz . . much less physically react fast enough to be able to make use of that increased speed even if they could see it.

HOWEVER - I've noticed that a lot of 144Hz monitors these days don't cost any more than their lower-speed counterparts. That said, if you want faster refresh rates at a given resolution, you also need a more powerful video card to drive those frame rates.

Unless you're, say, a professional competitive gamer, I'd stick with the monitor you have. Even the pros I doubt benefit from anything more than 100Hz. Ultra-high-speed refresh rates are a lot of hype.

Honestly, the only real reason I'd upgrade is for a larger screen. But 22 vs 23.8" isn't a huge difference.

I personally like larger monitors, and very much appreciate the extra field of view that an ultra-wide monitor gives you.

Ultimately, though, if you're happy with your current monitor, stick with it. If you're using an AMD card, you can take advantage of your monitor's FreeSync capability, to maintain smoothness if the frame rates ever dip below your max refresh rate (on your SB220Q, that's 48-75 Hz FreeSync Range).

Nvidia 10-, 16-, or 20- series cards also support FreeSync - but I think that's only with DisplayPort, not HDMI . . but I am NOT sure about that DisplayPort requirement, so don't hold me to that.

I went from 60 hz to 75hz difference is huge, so i want it to be even smoother.
i am not pro or even near to that, but i play well and i enjoy game
in cs go its easy to get 150fps+ all the time

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
60 to 75? Yes.

75 to 100. Maybe.

100 to 120? 120 to 144? I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if a randomly chosen refresh rate from the triple digit numbers was picked, and a user could consistently tell EVERY time what the refresh rate was.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
I went from 60 hz to 75hz difference is huge, so i want it to be even smoother.
i am not pro or even near to that, but i play well and i enjoy game
in cs go its easy to get 150fps+ all the time

My monitor overclocks to 75hz.. and I went from 60 to 75hz but I couldn't tell the slight bit of difference from 60fps to 75fps..

Are you sure you're not imagining it?

sameartist

Prominent
Dec 2, 2018
My monitor overclocks to 75hz.. and I went from 60 to 75hz but I couldn't tell the slight bit of difference from 60fps to 75fps..

Are you sure you're not imagining it?

yes man i am 100% positive, i am global elite in cs go and 75HZ vs 60HZ is so much difference. its significant
now i have 144hz but 60 to 75 is a bigger jump than 75 to 144hz :)

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
yes man i am 100% positive, i am global elite in cs go and 75HZ vs 60HZ is so much difference. its significant
now i have 144hz but 60 to 75 is a bigger jump than 75 to 144hz :)

Ok fair enough.. I'm more of a casual gamer, don't have jedi reflexes like that so perhaps I can't register it..Don't know, just guessing..

I play stuff like Fallout and Outer Worlds etc and I couldn't see the slightest bit of difference so perhaps I don't register the difference yet I'm very sensitive to the slightest changes below 60fps..

Status
Not open for further replies.