[SOLVED] Is this gaming set-up okay? Are the components compatible to each other? (Also looking for a good but not that expensive power supply. thanks)

Aug 21, 2020
MOTHERBOARDMSI MPG Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI (LGA 1200) MOTHERBOARD
CPUINTEL CORE i9-10900F PROCESSOR
RAMCORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8) 3200 CL6
STORAGEKINGSTONE SSD 480 GB / WD Scorpio Blue 1tb HDD
POWER SUPPLY
GRAPHICS CARD/SMSI RADEON RX 5700 XT MECH OC 8GB GDDR6

Solution
Yes, they should be, looks like you are putting together a very high-end build there. I personally would only pair an i7 as i9 processors are really only for insane pc builds with an rx 5700xt but everything should be compatible.

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Yes, they should be, looks like you are putting together a very high-end build there. I personally would only pair an i7 as i9 processors are really only for insane pc builds with an rx 5700xt but everything should be compatible.

Last edited:
Solution
MOTHERBOARDMSI MPG Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI (LGA 1200) MOTHERBOARD
CPUINTEL CORE i9-10900F PROCESSOR
RAMCORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8) 3200 CL6
STORAGEKINGSTONE SSD 480 GB / WD Scorpio Blue 1tb HDD
POWER SUPPLY
GRAPHICS CARD/SMSI RADEON RX 5700 XT MECH OC 8GB GDDR6
  • Power supply choice is number one consideration, especially for a high end build. Do not buy a cheap one. Avoid Thermaltake. Stick with Corsair or Seasonic 80+ gold models at 650 watts.
  • There's very little reason to use an old style hard drive anymore. Get a single 1TB m.2 NVME drive for everything. It's very easy to add more storage later on if you need it.
  • You'll need a good cooler for the CPU you selected. When all cores are pushed it can use more than 200 watts and gets very hot. A 280mm AIO would work.

Reactions: Zhaddeus
Compatible. but not best, I think.
What is the main use for this pc?

My thoughts:
If this is for gaming, you are spending too much for the processor and not enough for the graphics card.
A balanced gamer will budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
I might suggest a i5-10600K and a RTX2070 super or rtx2080 class card.
Here is a review of the 10600K:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review

For storage, buy a m.2 pcie ssd of 1 or 2 tb.
samsung 970 evo + will be the best performer.
If you need capacity more than performance, look at the intel 660P.
The 660P is very good on read speeds, but not as good if you do heavy updating.
Either will be a batter performer than a sata ssd and very much better than a hdd.
A single large C drive will be easier to manage than two devices.

On the psu, you will need a 550 or 650w psu, depending on graphics.
Nothing wrong with overprovisioning a psu, it will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Here is a nice chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Whatever you do, do not buy a cheap psu.
A psu is a long term investment and will be good for several builds.

A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.
Do not buy one.

Here is one chart of psu quality; look for tier 1/2, no more than 3.
I like the seasonic focus units.