[SOLVED] Is this good application of thermal paste?

agasabellaba

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
Pics of last years application of thermal paste. Is this a good application?

Problem is the CPU of my build (2014) is running at 100 degree C with normal use of computer. Its load is being limited and it's 34% more or less. I have a i7 4770k. My liquid cooler is from a reputable brand and has always kept the cool until last year. Last year I had the same problem and I solved it by replacing the thermal paste. So now I'm wondering if it was applied well. I just got back home from a 6 months period of travelling. It worked fine before.

Solution
Definitely not enough paste or pressure to spread it out. Lots of uncovered parts of the heat spreader. I don't recognize the bottom of that cooler, but it seems more concave than it should be based on the thickness of the paste near the middle.
Hey there,

No, IMO that's not a good application, although always hard to tell after the fact.

If following normal guidelines for application you would not expect the gaps in the center and around the edges like that. It should be a more uniform spread outwards from the center.

I'd go ahead and get some Noctua NT H1, TG Kryo and do it yourself. You should get better results than you are showing.

Last edited:
The first cpu image indicates that the cooler may not have been tightened down evenly. But, the cooler pattern is ok,
The amount of paste looks ok.

More likely, your cooler is failing.
They do not last forever. In time, air intrudes through the tubes and the cooler becomes less effective. Possibly, the pump has debris in it or is failing.

Time, I think to replace the cooler.
What is the make/model of your case?
Noctua keeps a suitability list for their coolers.
Here is the list for the 4790K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-214

agasabellaba

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
Guys, I have replaced the thermal paste with my friends that is about 3 years old and was stored away with a cap. The problem is persisting. The Cpu is heating up too much. What could it be then?

The fan of the liquid cooler is working. The pump is receiving power and I know that because of the LED light that is on it. The pump is Seidon 120v from Coolermaster. Year 2014. It's 7 years old but the life expectancy is 70,000 hr and Im well below that.

Im installing the factory air cooler that the cpu came with but I know that the liquid cooler handles the spikes of cpu usage, thus heat, far better so Im keeping an eye open for a new one.

agasabellaba

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
ah i applied the paste very badly. The stock cooler is running at 50 idle. Reaches 100 easily. Its bad I know. haha. But it means that the liquid cooler was faulty so I know what to do!

thanks everyone!

TRENDING THREADS