[SOLVED] Is this good fan placement?

Solution
Depends on the hardware inside.
A)The bottom fan is essentially useless:
-most chassis' 'floors' are just too close to 'the floor'
-fan filter
-fan grille(the size and shape of the holes)
-the psu shroud
The potential for air through there is pretty weak, unless you brute force it with high static pressure, high rpm fans = loud.
Remove it and make cable management slightly easier with one less cable.

B)3x top exhausts? Great for gpu thermals - screws over cpu air coolers if you're using one; sucking cool air away and out the chassis before it even gets to them.
Perhaps remove 2 fans: you won't maximize gpu exhaust anymore, but you'll improve airflow into the cpu air cooler. Pick your poison, I guess.

C)Did you test cpu, gpu, etc...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the hardware inside.
A)The bottom fan is essentially useless:
-most chassis' 'floors' are just too close to 'the floor'
-fan filter
-fan grille(the size and shape of the holes)
-the psu shroud
The potential for air through there is pretty weak, unless you brute force it with high static pressure, high rpm fans = loud.
Remove it and make cable management slightly easier with one less cable.

B)3x top exhausts? Great for gpu thermals - screws over cpu air coolers if you're using one; sucking cool air away and out the chassis before it even gets to them.
Perhaps remove 2 fans: you won't maximize gpu exhaust anymore, but you'll improve airflow into the cpu air cooler. Pick your poison, I guess.

C)Did you test cpu, gpu, etc., thermals before and after the side panel mod to see how effective it is?
I did something similar with my H500P Mesh's top panel: removed the acrylic piece and fit a honeycomb mesh up there.
Some older pics - before I mounted the Kraken G12 + Celsius S36 on the 1080Ti: Once I installed the Kraken G12 kit, the airflow in the chassis changed, and thermals were actually a little worse with the mesh mod, so I put the acrylic piece back in - I also took out a few fans, because they were just getting in the way.

Reactions: Asez23
Solution

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I have a different opinion about the top fans ,, The OP can run the fans at a much lower rpm than the front to create the positive pressure scenario and still be useful for the airflow theory being the cpu coolers fan having more pulling capability than the top fans running at half the rpm and such ,

The bottom fan from what i could tell of the images of the case when i looked it up is completely blocked off by the shroud built into the case so kinda useless .

Reactions: Asez23

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have a different opinion about the top fans ,, The OP can run the fans at a much lower rpm than the front to create the positive pressure scenario and still be useful for the airflow theory being the cpu coolers fan having more pulling capability than the top fans running at half the rpm and such ,

The bottom fan from what i could tell of the images of the case when i looked it up is completely blocked off by the shroud built into the case so kinda useless .
Yours and my theories are all speculation really, unless the OP is willing to do their own testing.
I was willing to experiment, and found out that all I need in my particular setup is front intake - that's it; anything else changed nothing, or made cooling slightly worse.
The optimal fan and cooling setup is going to vary on the chassis design, the fans being used, and the hardware packed inside.

@op.
You have the means to see which works for YOU.
Extra fans add noise and expense.
The expense issue is moot since you already have installed the fans.

I like all intake air to come in from one source and be filtered.
Your parts stay cleaner that way.
Whatever comes in the front will eventually exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

The problem with strong exhaust fans is that they tend to draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.
My approach would be to use the 3 front intakes and one rear exhaust.
Disconnect the others and see how you do.

Is your cooler a air tower type?
A aio creates all sorts of different issues.

Asez23

Reputable
Oct 11, 2020
@op.
The expense issue is moot since you already have installed the fans.
I like all intake air to come in from one source and be filtered.
Your parts stay cleaner that way.
The problem with strong exhaust fans is that they tend to draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.
The Cougar Panzer MAX comes with air filters on all sides except for the single rear exhaust.
@op.
My approach would be to use the 3 front intakes and one rear exhaust.
Disconnect the others and see how you do.
I tried this today. This resulted in OK CPU temps, such as 50 Celsius while running Rocket League at mid settings. The GPU temp stayed about the same.