Solution
Thank you for your help. I will definitely underclock the memory and the funny thing is that yesterday I played CS for 4 hours and saw no artifacts. I really don't understand how it works like shouldn't it show it most of the time? Last time it showed I played cs almost same amount of time. These artifacts are unpredictable. Can you tell me is this the hardware problem or still the heating issue?
your temps are low so its most likely a hardware problem at this point.

Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Yes that is. Usually this happens when the VRAM gets too hot or defective. Hopefully it's the temperature that's the issue. Try cleaning out your computer or fixing the airflow, does it only happen in this game?
One time I was running Furmark and it did the same thing. I will clean the gpu and change the thermal paste. If this happens again after cleaning does it means that gpu is dying?
Thank you for your reply.

Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
if this only happens under heavy only it could be a thermal issue, so as suggested, improve the airflow and maybe repaste the gpu, also try to underclock or undervolt it
After I saw that in game, I turned off the game and after 5 mins I turned on furmark for more than 10 mins and saw nothing. I ran furmark after that several times and still saw nothing. What does that indicate to? Is there a bigger chance that cleaning and applying new thermal paste will fix this problem? Also I haven't seen an artifact after that video.
Forgot to mention that gpu was overclocked but I had it overlocked for like 3 or 4 months and it never had a problem before. now I resetted it to its default settings.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
After I saw that in game, I turned off the game and after 5 mins I turned on furmark for more than 10 mins and saw nothing. I ran furmark after that several times and still saw nothing. What does that indicate to? Is there a bigger chance that cleaning and applying new thermal paste will fix this problem? Also I haven't seen an artifact after that video.
Forgot to mention that gpu was overclocked but I had it overlocked for like 3 or 4 months and it never had a problem before. now I resetted it to its default settings.
Overclocks tend to cause artifacts in some games in certain situations,

Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
When you clean the card it might be nice to have some thermal pads of various thicknesses as well to replace the old ones. These thermal pads are usually what help cool the memory chiplets which is most likely what would cause this if they are overheating.
Do you think it is necessary to change the thermal pads? I don't even know if I will be able to find thermal pads in my country to buy. but I will definitely keep an eye on them from now on.
Edit: Just found the thermal pads. It is ACTPD00001A. Is this even good or should I buy something else? Also can you recommend me which thermal pads to buy?

Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Those are about as good as it gets.
Since you do not know the thickness of the existing pads get the one you linked. 0.5 thickness. .If your original pads are thicker you can stack 2 layers to achieve 1.0 or three to get 1.5.
The one I linked was for an example. They are selling 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 millimeter thermal pads. I also have calipers so I should approximately know which size I should buy.

Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Update: I opened the gpu, cleaned it and installed new thermal paste (Arctic MX - 4). Also cleaned the thermal pads. Idle temps are 24 - 25.I ran Furmark for 22 mins and temp went to max 64 Celsius. Then I ran Uningine Valley 4 times and temp went to 66. I saw no Artifacts and nothing strange. Gpu was on its default clock speeds. The weird thing I saw was that when running Furmark Gpu clock speeds went down from 955 to 900 and at 22 mins temps went down to 62. But when running Unigine Valley clock speed and everything was at max. I do not know if this is good sign or does it means that I won't see artifacts again?
Thank you everyone for helping me.

Edit: It did it again while playing cs go. I guess nothing will help this card. It's gone :(

Last edited:

Nika_1

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Those temps are great. I would underclock the memory and see if that helps. Underclock the memory chips by about 5%. Also do it in steps of 5% until the artifacts are gone.
Thank you for your help. I will definitely underclock the memory and the funny thing is that yesterday I played CS for 4 hours and saw no artifacts. I really don't understand how it works like shouldn't it show it most of the time? Last time it showed I played cs almost same amount of time. These artifacts are unpredictable. Can you tell me is this the hardware problem or still the heating issue?

your temps are low so its most likely a hardware problem at this point.

Solution