[SOLVED] Is this GPU compatible with my system? GTX 1050ti

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,
I've asked a similar question before so apologies but I'm not too knowledgeable about these things. Basically I want to know will a GTX 1050ti (or more specifically this card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GeForc...ords=1050ti&qid=1588255726&s=computers&sr=1-1 ) fit my current (old) system which is:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840
Motherboard: GA 770T D3L

Will my system have enough power to run it? Will I need a new power supply or anything? I don't want to spend money on a GPU that my PC is incapable of running.

If that GPU is too much, would a GT 1030 work?

All advice appreciated thanks.

Oh, and btw, it isn't for gaming, it's for video editing. :)

Solution
You're mainly looking at the +12V columns since that's what pretty much everything in a modern system runs on. Yours is a "2 rail" system, meaning there are two +12V columns. Each rail can supply 12V * 18A = 216W. Typically there would be a 3rd row that would state a combined wattage/amperage for BOTH the 12V rails (it's hardly ever the sum of both).

In this situation, the sticker says 3.3V, 5V max load = 152W. So it's certainly possible that both the 12V rails can combine to total 348W (that's believable). You've got a 350W (effective) PSU.

It's not a fantastic PSU. Let's leave it at that.

THAT BEING SAID - Like RealBeast mentioned, the GTX1050Ti draws 75W max, and your CPU probably doesn't draw much more than that either. SO...

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
TB2b2kUf9fD8KJjSszhXXbIJFXa_!!667044203.jpg

You're mainly looking at the +12V columns since that's what pretty much everything in a modern system runs on. Yours is a "2 rail" system, meaning there are two +12V columns. Each rail can supply 12V * 18A = 216W. Typically there would be a 3rd row that would state a combined wattage/amperage for BOTH the 12V rails (it's hardly ever the sum of both).

In this situation, the sticker says 3.3V, 5V max load = 152W. So it's certainly possible that both the 12V rails can combine to total 348W (that's believable). You've got a 350W (effective) PSU.

THAT BEING SAID - Like RealBeast mentioned, the GTX1050Ti draws 75W max, and your CPU probably doesn't draw much more than that either. SO you're looking at a max of about 175W total system power draw. Certainly manageable.

Reactions: rdpc
Solution

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019

THAT BEING SAID - Like RealBeast mentioned, the GTX1050Ti draws 75W max, and your CPU probably doesn't draw much more than that either. SO you're looking at a max of about 175W total system power draw. Certainly manageable.

Thanks a lot this gives me peace of mind to go ahead and buy it! :) Lol, yeah no offence taken my whole system is as old as the hills, this is just a temporary fix, will get a complete new pc at a later date.