Feb 18, 2020
I am going to build a computer and have been struggling to determine if the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is a viable option for the curved montior I'm going for.

The monitor I've selected is a curved MSI at 1080p, 165Hz, 1ms, and 32" for $250 (Optix-AG32C)

The reason I'm struggling is because I read that getting this GPU is too good for 1080 at amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-4.html :

"Given what we’ve already seen from GeForce RTX 2060 Super and 2070 Super,
both of AMD’s Radeon RX 5700-series cards are best suited to gaming at 2560 x 1440.
They’re also beyond ample for 1920 x 1080, though we don’t think you need to spend
$350 or $400 dollars for smooth frame rates at that resolution."

My question is whether I should get a more expensive monitor, or go with a cheaper GPU, or stick with what I have.

A full list of my components is below if that helps at all:

19lrK2r.png

Solution
The reason to go with that GPU is that you have a 165Hz monitor so your FPS should almost always be at or above that right now. It also means that as newer games come out that stress the GPU more, you will still be fine at that resolution and refresh rate for a long time. It also gives you the ability to go to a 1440p monitor in the future.
The reason to go with that GPU is that you have a 165Hz monitor so your FPS should almost always be at or above that right now. It also means that as newer games come out that stress the GPU more, you will still be fine at that resolution and refresh rate for a long time. It also gives you the ability to go to a 1440p monitor in the future.

Reactions: Pebuhcha
Solution
Not knowing anything about that CPU or motherboard, I wonder if the CPU is a bit weak for a 5700XT. But even if it is (as I said, I've no way to know) that doesn't mean the 5700XT is a bad choice.

Something to look at is how much an upgrade path does that motherboard offer, when you'll be positioned to move that way given the amount of current purchases and how far you really think will be necessary.

That thought process works, of course, if everything you're currently proposing is a good budget for right now and won't burn bridges for upgrading CPU in a reasonable time frame.

Not knowing anything about that CPU or motherboard, I wonder if the CPU is a bit weak for a 5700XT. But even if it is (as I said, I've no way to know) that doesn't mean the 5700XT is a bad choice.

Something to look at is how much an upgrade path does that motherboard offer, when you'll be positioned to move that way given the amount of current purchases and how far you really think will be necessary.

That thought process works, of course, if everything you're currently proposing is a good budget for right now and won't burn bridges for upgrading CPU in a reasonable time frame.
With the 1005 BIOS that motherboard can take the 9900K, so there is a nice upgrade path from the i5-8400 in the future.

Feb 18, 2020
Ok, thank you. That helps me alot