Is this GTX 1050 equal PS4 GPU

MamedovA

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015
I know that PS4 have a better optimization and etc, but I want know, is this videocard equal/better PS4 ? I mean resolution,graphics settings and fps in games.

P.S. Digital Foundry have articles which show graphics settings in console. For example:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-t...

Or

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-t...

Solution
PS4 games are a mixed bag to say the least when it comes to performance (I own a PS4 Pro and had a vanilla PS4 before that.)

Expect to see a mixture of Medium and High settings (although those are arbitrary terms) and depending on the effect/detail it might be 'set' to Low or Ultra or turned off completely.
Sometimes games are set to a 30fps cap due to either a GPU/CPU bottleneck (or both) preventing a stable 60fps. Normally the CPU is what hinders fps in PS4 games as it is very weak for 2017. Sometimes a game sticks at the 30fps/60fps cap, other times it struggles and drops frames like a drunken glazer on crack.

If you pair the GTX 1050 with a Pentium G4560 (for example) you'll be able to hit 60fps in 'most' games (or even more...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Neither of those links work for me, I get a 404 error. No, it would likely be better in some games and worse in others. Its very hard to compare console gaming to PC, they way the two interact with their hardware is very different. The 1050 is a lot more powerful than the gpu in a ps4 on paper, but the ps4 has essentially direct access to its hardware it does not have to go though an API like dx11 and the games made for it are tailored to run on specific hardware, not the millions of combinations you could have on a pc. Also you cant really change most graphical settings on ps4, most games are locked at 30 or 60fps and run at 1080p or lower which is also usually locked, and you dont get all the graphical settings like AA, ambient occlusion, etc.

MamedovA

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015

Witcher 3: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-the-witcher-3

GTA V: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-grand-theft-auto-5

You don't say what your CPU is. Both of those games respond to faster CPU speed with four cores vs. two as well as a faster GPU (more cores more important in minimum FPS in heavy visual environment scenes). With that said, all other things being equal, at 1080p side by side with a PS4 of those games (PS4 connected to 1080p HDTV, PC connected to 1080p monitor), my guess is with medium quality settings one would be hard to tell the difference between the two. The only thing to watch for on the PC would be FPS dipping below 30 in heavy graphical environments which may cause stutters. This was a problem with the PS3 version of GTA V. However the PS4 version resolved that.

PS4 games are a mixed bag to say the least when it comes to performance (I own a PS4 Pro and had a vanilla PS4 before that.)

Expect to see a mixture of Medium and High settings (although those are arbitrary terms) and depending on the effect/detail it might be 'set' to Low or Ultra or turned off completely.
Sometimes games are set to a 30fps cap due to either a GPU/CPU bottleneck (or both) preventing a stable 60fps. Normally the CPU is what hinders fps in PS4 games as it is very weak for 2017. Sometimes a game sticks at the 30fps/60fps cap, other times it struggles and drops frames like a drunken glazer on crack.

If you pair the GTX 1050 with a Pentium G4560 (for example) you'll be able to hit 60fps in 'most' games (or even more depending on the game) using custom settings. In addition you'll normally be able to match or surpass PS4 graphics levels with a GTX 1050.

That's about as precise as I can put it. We are essentially comparing apples with oranges here, after all.

My overclocked GTX 750Ti can outperform the PS4 in certain games, but actually not in others. With the GTX 1050, I doubt there are many games nowadays where the PS4 outperforms the GTX 1050 in 2017 by any significant margin.

Obviously if the PC hardware was running on a system with the same kind of OS and API as found in a PS4 then it would be faster by an even bigger margin. Most PC games still use DX11 and the low level APIs like Vulkan, OpenGL or even DX12 are yet to become mainstream. Even then, performance can be found lacking vs. DX11 while devs fully get to grips with the new 'platforms'. One notable exception so far being Doom 2016.

Solution

MamedovA

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015

I have this PC:
i5-3470 3,3Ghz
6GB RAM D3
GTX 1050 2GB
HDD:500GB

MamedovA

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015

I have this PC:
i5-3470 3,3Ghz
6GB RAM D3
GTX 1050 2GB
HDD:500GB

Your CPU is quite a bit more powerful than the old 8 core Jaguar CPU found in the PS4 in real terms.

For optimal performance in recent games you'll need 8GB ram though. The likes of Battlefield 1 actually prefer 16GB for optimal performance, although it's still playable with 8GB.

Another tip would be to get an SSD if your HDD is not that hot. Many people say its only benefit is in reducing game loading and Windows booting times. But on my tertiary rig (an old Core2 Quad potato) I noticed an improvement in gaming after swapping an oldish Western Digital Green 1TB disk for an SSD.

Even in Rocket League, I used to get bad hitching while it loaded in more data during a game. (For example when a new player joins and the game loads in the graphics for their car on the fly.)
This disappeared completely with an SSD. Even though it was only running at Sata II (3Gb) speed. Also, when virus scans are running (etc.) it no longer causes a problem like it used to with my mechanical HDD. The mechanical HDD had a fresh defragged version of Windows on and the PC was free of any bloatware.