[SOLVED] Is this gtx 460 broken?

Sep 14, 2019
I recently got a gtx 460 twin frozr II and one of the fans is making a very loud noise and one of the dvi ports isnt working. Also when i connect it to a monitor with the second dvi port it works until the windows icon comes up, the moment when it just artifacts like crazy, but i can still get in windows, with artifacts.

Solution
With a boot disk. You can make your own by copying IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM to a freshly formatted USB stick, in FAT32 and 32GB or less. If you don't have any of these files, you can get them over at bootdisk.com. They have tools to create one for you too, as well as DOS drivers for USB or SATA CD Rom drives

A repair shop would hook it up to an oscilloscope, as the bigger Fermis had issues with the VRMs failing and producing dirty power. This is a GTX580 with artifacts that look more like yours:
57a09a9876db0_2016-07-2512.21.11.jpg.979e21610a46a6e415640138f5c81ec4.jpg

A GTX460 is simply not worth paying to fix though, as anything you'd pay would be better applied...
Sounds like it fails right when the drivers load. That does sound like the vRAM is bad so you could try underclocking it if you can see well enough to do it in software.

How do you underclock if you can't even see in Windows? Well fortunately Fermi is old enough you can even use NiBiTor to edit the vBIOS. Boot to real DOS from a USB stick and:
nvflash -b bios.rom
to save the existing bios from the card

Go look at it in NiBiTor on another machine, maybe somebody flashed an excessive overclock. Adjust things slower and reflash with:
nvflash bios.rom

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Okay. But I'm not 100% sure whether this is indeed a sign of a Faulty GPU VRAM . Could also be some other issue with the Hardware as well. But that does look like some visual corruption.

ELSE, the GPU might be broken. Not directly related to the VRAM. Usually we see the following artifacts when a GPU is faulty, as shown below:

rbBRoes.jpg

Sep 14, 2019
Sounds like it fails right when the drivers load. That does sound like the vRAM is bad so you could try underclocking it if you can see well enough to do it in software.

How do you underclock if you can't even see in Windows? Well fortunately Fermi is old enough you can even use NiBiTor to edit the vBIOS. Boot to real DOS from a USB stick and:
nvflash -b bios.rom
to save the existing bios from the card

Go look at it in NiBiTor on another machine, maybe somebody flashed an excessive overclock. Adjust things slower and reflash with:
nvflash bios.rom
How do i boot to real Dos?

With a boot disk. You can make your own by copying IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM to a freshly formatted USB stick, in FAT32 and 32GB or less. If you don't have any of these files, you can get them over at bootdisk.com. They have tools to create one for you too, as well as DOS drivers for USB or SATA CD Rom drives

A repair shop would hook it up to an oscilloscope, as the bigger Fermis had issues with the VRMs failing and producing dirty power. This is a GTX580 with artifacts that look more like yours:
57a09a9876db0_2016-07-2512.21.11.jpg.979e21610a46a6e415640138f5c81ec4.jpg

A GTX460 is simply not worth paying to fix though, as anything you'd pay would be better applied toward a newer card.

Solution