Is this hard drive bad

laddie64

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hi, I just got a new Seagate 1TB SATA hard drive because my other one failed. Well, I usually keep my computer on a carpet, but when I moved it to a wooden desk. I could feel the desk, well, shaking, I guess. I can just barely feel these little vibrations when i touch the keyboard on my desk. I felt the top of my computer and sure enough, that was the source of the little pulses. I looked inside and just touched a finger to the hard drive and that was where it was coming from. There's just a little noise coming from it. You can barely hear it. Plus, I have the side panel off so that probably makes it more audible. It's like this low pitched clicking noise, it's hard to explain...Well, anyways, I'm pretty sure that the noise has always been there but I've just never felt it or heard it because it was sitting beside me on a carpet. I just wanted to make sure that nothing is wrong with it. Oh yeah... I should probably tell you that my last hard drive got the WINDOWS/system32/config/system error numerous times. And when I got this new hard drive. It was running kind of slow, so I got a new SATA cable for the hard drive and switched the port that it connected to, and that seemed to do it. Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense...It's late and I'm tired. Thanks.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Wall of text!!!

lol

A small amount of noise or vibration PROBABLY isn't bad. Hard to tell from here. Noise or no, keep your HD backed up and you won't be sad when it dies, in 3 months or 5 years.