is this huge CPU bottleneck?

Apr 13, 2018
getting 50%to 60% GPU(GTX 1060 6gb)usage with 100% CPU (i5 4440 3.1ghz) usage on games like ACO.
for example when i look far the distance i got low FPS (30-45) with low GPU usage 50-60%. but when looking down or up i got high FPS (70-85) with almost 100% GPU usage.
1st: is this a Bottleneck?
2nd: is it very noticeable?

Solution
1. Based on what you've said, yes. Maxed out CPU usage and low framerates in a game that is well known for it's poor CPU optimisation (AC: O).

2. Well, objectively it should be. It shouldn't be hard for you to tell it's not very smooth with FPS fluctuations going as low as 30.

Try limit any background CPU usage if possible, and make sure you're set to High Performance in Windows settings. Otherwise, your best bet to improve performance is upgrade the CPU. If budget is very limited you could keep your current RAM and Motherboard and upgrade to something like a 4th gen i7 (4770 for example) otherwise you may need to look into a newer platform. Hope this helps! :)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
1. Based on what you've said, yes. Maxed out CPU usage and low framerates in a game that is well known for it's poor CPU optimisation (AC: O).

2. Well, objectively it should be. It shouldn't be hard for you to tell it's not very smooth with FPS fluctuations going as low as 30.

Try limit any background CPU usage if possible, and make sure you're set to High Performance in Windows settings. Otherwise, your best bet to improve performance is upgrade the CPU. If budget is very limited you could keep your current RAM and Motherboard and upgrade to something like a 4th gen i7 (4770 for example) otherwise you may need to look into a newer platform. Hope this helps! :)

Solution
Apr 13, 2018

i can get i7 4790 3.6ghz, what do you think of it? is it a big upgrade from mine? will i get consistent FPS? thx in advance ;)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

The extra threads and speed should help a lot yes. Just make sure your BIOS has the latest version to ensure it supports Devils Canyons CPUs (4x90 series) as i assume your Motherboard is Haswell before the refresh.

Apr 13, 2018

it's Haswell indeed. i never updated my bios before and i think i should do it now. thx bro ;)