is this hybrid system feasible, and how do I do the migrations needed?

thefatcyclist

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
I have a core 2 duo running XP which has finally keeled over, It's the motherboard. I used this computer for everything including a DAW.
I have just bought an i5 with windows 7 loaded onto a SSD, and just bought Cubase Artist which is also heading for the SSD. I have a 1TB SATA 3, 16 gb ram.
What I would like to do is load the hard drive from my dead computer, and then migrate Amplitube and all my plugins over to the SSD, and all my recorded audio files onto the large SATA. I would then like to use the old hard drive under XP as one bootable system into my gaming GPU moved over from the old computer, Once safely migrated I would delete everything I have copied from the XP drive. I have an external drive which I back up to and comtains samples. I will place the samples onto a SSD when they drop in price a bit more. I believe there is cloning software with my SSD.
I would like to boot the windows 7 SSD as an altenate system dedicated to music recording only.
Is this possible and how do I do the migration.
So in brief I want to create a dual boot system, one running XP the other Windows 7.
The windows 7 system will boot using the built in graphics on the motherboard.
The windows XP system will boot to my gaming GPU.

Not open to suggestions of just renewing the old motherboard thanks.

Thanks in advance for the advice folks.

Solution
1. I strongly urge you not to use XP as a general internet machine. XP fell of any support from MS almost a year ago. It gets no further security updates.

2. Cloning an OS (or moving the physical drive) between systems is very much of a crapshoot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Cloning is no different than moving the physical drive.
Going from a Core 2 Duo to an i5 is a pretty big architecture change. I give it less than 50/50 of actually working.

I will have to install all the music software, and this is where migrate comes in. I need to migrate these with their installers from the old drive as they were download versions from the developers and I have them in individual folders.

You can't 'migrate'...

USAFRet

Titan
1. This makes no sense:
So in brief I wand to create a dual boot system, one running XP the other Windows 7.
The windows 7 system will boot onto the built in GPU on the motherboard.
The windows XP system will boot to my GPU.

The OS live on drives, not the GPU

and then migrate Amplitube and all my plugins over to the SSD
You can't 'migrate' an application into an existing OS. Will not work. You have to actually install it.

You have a lot of moving parts in this transformation. The way you describe cannot work.
In simple terms, what do you want the end state to be?
Win 7 on the SSD? With which applications
XP on the HDD?

thefatcyclist

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Yup you are right what I wrote makes no sense, and I know the os does not reside on the GPU(lol). I was thinking about cloning the drive and forgot I would have to clone XP as well for all the software to work. I will move the hard disk from my old computer and my PCie GPU and put them in the new computer. Hopefully on first switch on the bios will see 2 bootable drives, and ask me which one to boot. Then I presume XP will find some drivers and I will need to find others, then I should have a dual boot computer with Xp on one disk and 7 on another, rather than a single disk dual boot computer with each os on separate partitions.
Yes I should have said I want the bootable XP disk to use my current PCie GPU which I will move over to the new computer. The XP system will run all my games, non music software, general music (albums etc) and video, internet etc etc. and general computing duties.
I want the bootable windows 7 disk to use the on board graphics on the new computer, the windows 7 system will run only music software.It will be a dedicated Digital Audio Work Station, and run Cubase, Amplitube, my drum program, and any other programs to do with sample libraries such as Kontakt or Play. It will also contain my plugins. I will have to install all the music software, and this is where migrate comes in. I need to migrate these with their installers from the old drive as they were download versions from the developers and I have them in individual folders. I was going to use cloning software to do this as it is the only way I can think of seeing both systems at the same time.

My main question is to do with the graphics, can this be done ? one drive and os use the PCIe gpu, and one drive and os use the on board graphics. Or will they conflict. I am only going to use 7 or XP, I have no intention of trying to have both systems booted at the same time.

I hope this is clearer, if not I will delete thread and start again.

USAFRet

Titan
1. I strongly urge you not to use XP as a general internet machine. XP fell of any support from MS almost a year ago. It gets no further security updates.

2. Cloning an OS (or moving the physical drive) between systems is very much of a crapshoot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Cloning is no different than moving the physical drive.
Going from a Core 2 Duo to an i5 is a pretty big architecture change. I give it less than 50/50 of actually working.

I will have to install all the music software, and this is where migrate comes in. I need to migrate these with their installers from the old drive as they were download versions from the developers and I have them in individual folders.

You can't 'migrate' applications (or its plugins) onto an existing OS. It doesn't work like that.

Solution